Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I just talked to AOS here in Omaha. Gillette is re releasing the Tech and other models this spring.

2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

can we get a link with pictures of the models? alloys they will be made? all brass? (wishful thinking) adjustable? (wishful thinking) adjustable all brass ( just slapped myself because I want too much from Gillette by its today standards)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
    BeShaved, chrisbd, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
    BeShaved, chrisbd, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Hello Blashe, when I asked the fellow at AOS to send me some photos via email, he said he didn't have any yet, but they will be putting up posters in their stores in April. He did say specifically the Tech for certain will be the first, and there are plans for more models later, including the Fatboy. You can verify this info by calling your local Art Of Shaving. That's what I did.

BeShaved, chrisbd, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thank you for posting Alan! This is almost to good to be true...very exciting stuff! :happy036:

6. Morman Bridge

I actually got the lead on another forum, and called the local AOS to verify it. It is true. And I'm doing the happy dance.

7. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

If come April 1st you come back and say April Fools a piece of my soul may die...

BeShaved, chrisbd, trey06dmd and 7 others like this.
  8. Morman Bridge

If I'm lying I'm dieing. It's true. I verified the information myself.

BeShaved, chrisbd, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have read it on another forum too, but a rebadged Parker/Cadet Gillette may not be that exciting especially at AOS prices...

10. Morman Bridge

I have to agree. I hope they stick with the original Gillette designs. Or at least a reasonable fascimile Thereof.

BeShaved, chrisbd, trey06dmd and 4 others like this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Hey men if that's true I don't mind playing some music to keep your dance flow going lol. I'm only trying to grasp the decision they made with making DE razors again and hear me out why is that so:

First of all its been what? 40 years or more since they brainwashed whole generations into thinking that more blades equal better and smoother shave? lots of other shaving companies joined this route cause they saw that Gillette was and still is making killing of cartridges. Lets say they have lost their mind which you just confirmed they did and they actually decided to cater the 1% of the shaving population which is the DE population users. In which way they can make money by making new toolings to bring back the Gillette standards? Setting up tooling is costly even if its done in china, specially if you want to setup the tooling for making all brass razor by Gillette standards. Will they try to somehow use the services of the Indian DE makers and the Chinese DE makers? We know that the quality and all brass design is there with the Weishi ( well at least somewhat close to the Red tip,blue tip,super speed) Also the Pearl Razorz company is making all the beautiful TTO OC and CC razors that in my opinion is as good if not surpasses the quality of the Gillette TTO vintage razors. Lets say they get together with them to start creating good all brass TTO razors, but they cannot be exactly the same because DE razor freaks will know immediately its just a rebranded Peral razor to Gillette name, it has to be something newish and still have the Gillette quality. As far as comes fat boy or adjustable they will need a lot of R&D and maybe they can use the basics of the Pearl TTO razors as a starting point, because the Pearl razors are way up there with quality and price per performance.

I'm not trying to be skeptic, just trying to figure out how they are planning to pull this out while keeping the Gillette quality in house and don't charge $200+ for all brass Fatboy, because it takes only once to receive the Rockwell 6s and when you compare it to the fatboy the fatboy starts to look like a poor boy....

I'm curious how will they go with their decision :)

chrisbd, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I call rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
    chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Morman Bridge like this.
  13. Morman Bridge

It's not rubbish. Call AOS yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
    chrisbd likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am skeptical at best about this.

I will very cordially bet proverbial large sums of money that this never happens. Or if it does, it will be some overhyped piece of crap promotion where coated Zamack razors with aluminum handles are marketed at ridiculous AOS prices. And if they actually do start to recreate all brass TTO razors, expect to see prices on them beginning somewhere in the stratosphere.

I too have been reading forum threads about this second coming of the Gillette Christ for a couple of years. I hate to be a gloomy gus, but the odds of some minimum wage plus commission earning Jackwagon from AOS knowing what Gillette is doing, just because both companies are owned by P&G....

Not saying the OP isn't telling the truth, just saying the hipster dufus at AOS probably has no clue, or was flat out lying.

I hope I am wrong, and if so, will formally eat crow in front of this entire forum. I have just read this story before. And read all the excitement posts. More than once.

youngunn, chrisbd, Spyder and 6 others like this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Gillette has always continued to produce DE razors...

16. Morman Bridge

I understand your skepticism. I was skeptical too, until I called them. I also sent an email to AOS corporate requesting more information and photos. I will post anything they send me.

chrisbd, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  17. Morman Bridge

Yes they have, third world Techs. I think their next generation of DE's will be better.

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

AOS has sold Mühle Merkur DE razors for ages, I can see the possibility of AOS re-branding an Indian made Parker as a Gillette with a large price tag. It's not that hard to believe, the second coming? No....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    chrisbd, Leo K., AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  19. Morman Bridge

You may be right. I want to see any photos they send me. The proof will be in the pudding.

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

I keep reading that this was verified with AoS. Has anyone verified this with an email directly from Gillette? I think this would corroborate things a bit more. Also, if they are bringing them back, why not advertise their return on their website?