First use of Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by PLAla, Apr 29, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I used Pinaud Clubman for the first time today! The scent is strong and masculine. I like it so far! I don't use a big amount of splash and generally mix it with witch hazel. That mitigates the scent some but I'll say the Clubman is present in a stronger fashion than anything else I use.

I only have a small sample but can easily get it in local drug stores if it continues to work for me. It's not too expensive either.

What was your first experience with Clubman? Still like it? Can't stand it?

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My barber growing up used it. I like it but rarely use it anymore. I picked up a lot of stuff so I have a lot of it boxed up so I can use other stuff. I'll get back to it. I have a big bottle of it that I almost ruined with too much menthol....it's so close to being unusable it is almost unusable. I don't have the heart to toss it so I've been keeping it around to use in homeblends.

3. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I still like it. Brings back memories of my Dad taking me to the barbershop. He always had a bottle as well.

JazzDoc, brit, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    JazzDoc, preidy, Primotenore and 17 others like this.
  5. PLAla

Spyder, AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I find them at Walmart and Target. They are generally $1 each.

7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I use it often and like it a lot. My wife likes it too which is a big bonus.

JazzDoc, brit, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I can tolerate the fragrance but my wife and sons can't abide it. All call it my 'old man in a bottle' scent.
    Naturally, as a result of these opinions, Clubman doesn't get much use.

Spyder, AGHisBBS and PLAla like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I love Clubman. It's not my fiancée's favorite, but she doesn't dislike it.

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had a bottle of clubman once. After 3 uses, I poured it down the drain.

11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I love Clubman, and so does my wife, she even buys it for me if I'm running low.

JazzDoc, brit, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Only full size bottle I have in my den. It is THE definitive barbershop scent for me. Smelled a little bit like old-man to me, but I always liked it anyway. The more I used it the more my wife came to enjoy it too. Try decanting it into a glass bottle. Subtle shift of the scent for the better.

JazzDoc, brit, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  13. PLAla

I only have a small sample right now. Nothing to decant! I do have a nice bottle that would work if I get more.

Spyder and AGHisBBS like this.
  14. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

Your labels are awesome.

JazzDoc, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

that was a pretty good double-negatonier!!

Spyder, PLANofMAN and AGHisBBS like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think I will always like Clubman. I first used it in my teens-I guess I must have looked at it, had a few whiffs, and said to myself "Wow.......THIS is pretty great!"
    That feeling hasn't left me.

JazzDoc, wristwatchb, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I like Clubman, the vanilla is also a nice scent. The wife likes the vanilla more than the regular. I do give Pinaud credit for some of their scents, Special Reserve, the Veg, both can be hit or miss scents.

Demidog, RyX, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  18. PLAla

I enjoy the Veg, too. I want to try the Bay Rum at some point, but can't find it locally. I don't need to buy anything right now anyway.

Spyder and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Since you asked, I will buck the trend. The first time I used it, I went for a 200 mile motorcycle ride following splashing it on. I thought I would die of suffocation inside that helmet. Just bloody awful. I followed my rule of trying something at least twice and the next reaction mirrored the first. Topping it off, my wife and daughters thought it smelled worse than I thought. The stuff was gone baby gone that very day.

20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I recently picked up some small 3 oz glass spray bottles and they work great. Also, being glass, they hold the cold from being in the refrigerator better than the plastic. How do you get your labels for the bottles? I've been considering labeling them now that I have a few.

Demidog, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.