The Harvest

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by RyX, Jun 3, 2016.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mary, or Harry, not to be contrary.
    How does your garden grow?

Today's home grown foodstuff is an herb.
    Spearmint, or Mentha Spicata grows well in a patch on the east side of the house. So well that on occasion I run the lawn mower through the patch just to release the Wrigley's gum flavor. Several days ago I harvested two Walmart bags stuffed full of one foot tall sprigs. Tying them in bundles and hanging to dry in my air conditioned & lowered humidity bedroom released a great spring time air freshener.
    This evening I shucked the leaves into an air tight container.
    Mint a.gif
    While I was stripping the leaves from the stems,
    Mint b.gif
    I set a sauce pan of water to heating. In a tea ball I crushed and packed a goodly pinch of dried leaves.
    Mint c.gif
    When the water reached a low boil I cut the fire off & added two family sized tea bags.
    Mint d.gif
    Steeping for two minutes gave time to add 1-1/2 cups of Louisiana cane sugar to a gallon jug. Pouring the concentrated tea over the sugar to dissolve, topping off the gallon with cool water, and pouring a portion over ice rewarded me with the cool minty sweet tea that so satisfies on a hot humid southern evening.
    Mint T.gif

I invite ya'll to share your harvest here, too.

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I have some mint trying to take over a bed out back. So far, we're making enough mojitos to keep ahead of it.

Bama Samurai and barbersurgeon like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Our patch came as a hitchhiker in a 3 gallon planter with a baby banana tree. Amazing how well it spreads. I've dug up roots to share with others.
    Tell me Tony @Omaney how you make a Mojito. I've heard of, but not had one.

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

In a shaker:
    Muddle a large pinch of mint. Add
    2oz rum
    1-1/12 oz simple syrup
    Juice of one fresh lime.
    Add ice and shake.

I split,don't strain, between two 12oz glasses and top off with soda water.

Even better, use coconut rum.

I get no complaints.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wow! I missed this.... Oops.

[​IMG]

Mammoth JalapeƱos at Henderson, Colorado, USA. We're further north, later season follows... Tobacco bowl is 1.2in for reference.

Five gallon (new) bucket, cheap potting mix, full sun, no fertilizer, tight on the water makes happy chiles!

RyX likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

That's the spirit! If you run out of inspiration, switch to Bourbon, call it a Julep, and fight the good fight!

RyX likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, now your talking! I do like a Bourbon, and work in some mint?
    Off to Google a recipe, unless you have one?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Use the recipe above. Rum is called a mojito, Mint Julep is literally the same drink, just Bourbon.

RyX likes this.