Van Der Arko

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by whiteboy_cannon, Jun 24, 2016.

1. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Mixed arko with some melted Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap last night, and for no particular reason added a couple pumps of my wife's EOS Shave Cream. Waiting to make sure it doesn't separate or anything before I use it but did a bowl test lather last night and it whipped up great. Will post more on it when I use it, maybe in a few days.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looking forward to your shave report. Sometimes these experiments give interesting and improved results.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  3. whiteboy_cannon

The test lather performed much like arko (fast lather explosion). But in the hand it felt much more slick than arko and the scent was a bit more tamed. I'll give it a shot the day after tomorrow

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've combined Cremo & Arko. Both good for me, better together. I'll mix up Arko and C.O.Bigelow when I finish my 30 Focus. I'm hoping the cooling menthol isn't diluted.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I mixed some Arko, AOS unscented, and some other stuff I didn't like along with a lot of rose oil. The wife loved it. As a matter of fact, I did too, on her. The entire bathroom smelled of roses when she was finished. I'm going to have to gather up my odds and ends soaps and do it again.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Frankenstein soaps?? Interesting. What if I mixed TOBS jermyn street with truefitt and hill 1805 and stirling soaps margaritas in the artic.

No. That totally wouldn't work.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Take a wet brush, and swirl it in each, lather up and see if you like it. Couldn't hurt.

RyX, whiteboy_cannon and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. whiteboy_cannon

Shaved with the Van Der Arko today. Lathered up very well, much like the usual arko explosion. It was very slick, but left little to no residual slickness after an area was shaved. That is not surprising though because arko doesn't really leave slickness being and VDH Deluxe leaves very little. All in all a great performing combination. I would also like to mention that a very tiny amount (think maybe 2 peas worth) made enough lather for 3 passes. It has a consistency much like a thick cream or very soft croap. This will definitely be frequently used in my den

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Was it the menthol cooling creamo thinking of trying that myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't recall if I even did it. It was almost a year ago. I do have both original and cooling Cremo, C.O.Bigelow, and Arko. Tomorrow is another Menthol Monday...
    Thanks @LevelupShaves for the inspiration! Look for my SOTD, I'll watch for yours.

Jayaruh and LevelupShaves like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

At least y'all arn'tmolesting the Williams.

12. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Never tried VDH. Thanks for the review.

I find that Cremo adds slickness to anything, (that I have tried).

Proraso red with Cremo makes a nice slick lather that, in my opinion, straight up
    Proraso lacks. (But, I find Arko to be very slick. So, the YMMV theory is true here.)

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, but I do that too. Mine is 50+ year old Williams with little scent so I add a splash of AS of the day. That's just scent, not soap blending.

I like Proraso (red & white soap, and C.O.Bigelow cream) but I'll give a Cremo bump next time I use it. Could be interesting!

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

NO worries there. wooo. As you know I add a bit of AS to older stuff.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Just don't molest the Williams...

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bill Clinton old habits.jpg
    :lyrtuy5:

GarnerPW likes this.