Proraso Green VS Cella

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by idan, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Proraso Green VS Cella

1. Proraso Green

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Cella

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. idan

idan Active Member

I'm debating between two soaps Proraso Green OR Cella : Two most important things for me, in shaving soap it as much as possible softening beard, thick and hard, the other thing important to me is to have good protection from the blade (I often tends to be cut) ..

So for all the things I mentioned to you, Which is better: Proraso Green or Cella ???
    TNX [​IMG]

Proraso Green

[​IMG]

Cella

[​IMG]

Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I haven't tried cella yet, but I just finished the proraso green. It creates crazy thick and cushioning lather, but I couldn't get an ounce of slickness out of it. I found it drying my skin. Maybe others will chime in.

Porter and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Get both. They are both slick and cushiony, and you will enjoy the different scent profiles. I used the Proraso Green this morning and got an excellent shave.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

They are priced well enough to afford both, which should make the shipping worth it. :)

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I haven't tried Proraso Green because my face vehemently rejects menthol. It just burns and I have a visceral response just thinking of it; just like when I think of my Ex. Cella is one of my goto soaps. It is very comfortable and has great glide. It's old school and some of the old school stuff that I have tried causes the razor cap to stick to my face. It's like using the old gold bar of Dial soap. But, not Cella; it glides very nicely. It I'm not too put off by the almond scent, but my nose has other favorites. I will use Cella if I'm having problems due to bad blades or other chemistry experiments that my face will not tolerate. Once things calm down, I can go back to stuff like TOBS or Tabac (my new favorite).

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

You really owe it to yourself to buy both. And throw in a stick of Arko. You will have a good shaving experience with all three. It's just which scent you like the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and Tdmsu like this.
  7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Proraso green left pretty thick film on my gear, not too big of deal since i usually take it apart and wipe it down just fyi

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ever tried Mitchell's wool fat?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Just curious...but why isnt proraso white in there? Its my favorite proraso soap. It works great and smells fantastic (oatmeal and green tea, formulated for sensitive skin)

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ok... So I'm curious.. How do the people who have had proraso green get slickness out of it?? When I lathered I soaked my brush and shook out excess.. Then I loaded the brush for 30 seconds.. I then lathered in bowl for about 1 -2 mins. All I got was thick cushion of pillowy softness .. But no slickness. I've tried adding water and it would either produce more lather or become to watery ... No slickness at all.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Of your two choices, I would pick Cella hands down. I love the almond/marzipan smell, and I can get a much slicker lather from it.

Proraso soap is fine, but in my opinion, it doesn't make top tier in performance, and leaves so much white gunk over everything that I PIF'ed my tubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I pretty much agree with you.

Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Of the two, i would take cella, but if you change it to proraso white line...then i would take the proraso

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Stirling Almond Cream has an almost identical smell, better slickness and a longer shelf life. My .02.

15. Straight razor dandy

+1

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I've also never gotten slickness or of proraso, even after adding water and glycerin to it, so I would go with Cella.
    I unfortunately had a reaction to what I suspect was the almond oil in the Cella, but I found it very slick with a good post shave feel before my face had the reaction.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Add a squirt of Kiss my Face Unscented Shave Cream to the lather. It's saved me from many a mediocre shave.

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Get Cella if your face can tolerate the almond. Objectively seen it is superior on performance.

But Proraso is no slouch either and that scent is just intoxicating. Gotta love it.

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

After applied, wet the tips of your brush and slicken-up whats already on your face. No enough water to make it runny,or wash it off, but just make it slicker.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used Proraso only until I made my soap, but recently I tried adding a bit to my orange soap and like it. Gives it a nice orange/menthol scent to the lather and a bit of cooling effect on my face. Will have to try Cella

Robyflexx likes this.