Just got "The Blades Grim"

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Straight razor dandy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I just received the blades grim "smolder"
    I haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to it. I will write a review when I do.

My question is,
    Have any of you used the blades grim, and if so, what is your opinion/review?

crackstar likes this.
  2. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

wifey says "Smolder" makes me smell like a chick

crackstar likes this.
  3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I probably have 7-8 more shaves with the smolder left, scent is masculine but very sweet so you cant really say its a true masculine scent. I like the scent and as far as performance goes it lathers well and has decent slickness

crackstar likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

What is "the blades grim"? It sounds like a slasher movie.

5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

maker of the shaving soap, Smolder is the scent

crackstar likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Blades Grim is made by Maria who also makes TTFFC and Maggard soaps as well. All are nice soaps.

crackstar likes this.
  7. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I didn't know that, good to know. I love the TTFFC Angels Share and Devils Cut, may have to try some of their others.

crackstar and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Smolder smells like roasting marshmallows over a campfire. I have the aftershave too. Love it!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

crackstar likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've been looking at this soap. It's on my wishlist.

crackstar likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

http://grimblades.com

They are considered to be some of the best soaps available from America (or anywhere for that matter).

crackstar likes this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Lol that's funny, I was going to mention Angles Share. Very nice ingredients and smells similar to a Blades Grim sample I tried from a pass around box, but I think I prefer the TTFFC soap.

crackstar and MattCB like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

According to the website, 'smolder' by The blades grim is "a warm and toasty accord of creamy camphorous notes, subtle hints of citrus and a masculine gourmand base."

It is definitely hard to put your finger on. It has a sweet and lightly smoky scent. As mentioned above, I could see how you could term it as a roasted marshmallow smell.

The Shave: I wanted to keep it as simple as possible so I used bare-bones gear. I went with a Dovo bismarck 6/8 straight razor, Truefitt and Hill silvertip badger brush, the blades grim smolder shaving soap puck, and cold water.

The puck is somewhat softer. It's not quite a croap, but it is on the softer side of soap pucks. It is Very easy to lather. It comes in a screw-top tin that was easy to lather in. The lather and slickness were excellent. My blade just glided right over it with ease. I had zero cuts, weepers, or irritation. I wouldn't call the scent room-filling, but it did have a nice aroma that lingered on my face for a bit. I waited for a bit to see how long it would last since I didn't want it to interfere with any aftershave or cologne, but I feel I could have put either on right after and it would've been fine. After I put on an aftershave (margaritas in the artic by stirling soap co.), my wife nor I could detect any conflict in scents.

Overall, I feel this is a great soap. The biggest issue I could foresee would be the scent, but I loved it and since it's their #1 seller, apparently a lot of other people do too.

Price - $12-18 online. Great value at this price. 9/10
    Smell - 9/10
    Scent strength - 7/10
    Ease of lather - 9.5/10
    Slickness - 10/10
    Length of scent - 6.5/10 (5 being average, it's a little above average)
    Presentation - 10/10. It has the grim reaper on a gold tin. It's a showstopper.

crackstar and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Thank you for the write up. It's a soap I've been eyeing for awhile and may just buy it.

15. Straight razor dandy

I would consider this a "must-buy." I am very pleased.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You can give into your temptation and get it rather quickly off Amazon

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

George X and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

What is TTFFC? I mean for crying out load is it that actually that hard to put a name on something! Like I'm supposed to know what that means!

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Through the fire fine craft soap.
    http://www.ttffcraft.com/shaving-soap.html

MattCB likes this.
  19. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I feel like it's a game deciphering a coded puzzle sometimes with all of the abbreviations lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

This was the first Artisan soap I ever bought and I love it the scent is great I even bought the aftershave. It is a piece of cake to lather since it's really more of a croap, it has great slickness, and the post shave feel is quite nice no drying or irritation. I don't really know why this soap doesn't get more love really it's quite good and very popular. It's one of my favorites so far though it may not be in a couple of weeks when I try Razorock XXX and Caties Bubbles Irish coffee. (I'm waiting a couple of weeks because I'm in a 30 day rule until the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk