Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

What meant was taking the retail price of a 40's tech and translating that to today's dollars.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. barbersurgeon

That would work if I knew the price of a Gillette tech sometime in the late 40's... Since a fat boy was $1.90 at some point, I figured the tech was quite a bit less.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. swarden43

5. barbersurgeon

I got stuck at the Milady ad...

Douglas Carey and swarden43 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Not interested. GM could re-market the 57 Chevy but no matter what; it just ain't the same and it's never will be. You can never really go back home.
    Period.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For those of you drooling over the idea of buying a new production Gillette Razor, specifically The Fat Handled Triangle Tech, why????? After reading this thread, and keeping up with it. I just thought I would show people what is out there. $3.99 + $5.00 shipping(I know, a little much for shipping). But this was bought to prove what a total waste of money, buying one of these new razors is.

Before cleanup. $3.99
    [​IMG]

After an Hour soaking in hot water and Palmolive. Then, a very minor amount of Flitz polish, none on the handle.

P7250398.JPG

9. DaltonGang

More photos.
    P7250399.JPG

P7250400.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Cleaned up nice dude, if Gillette brings out Tech that's on par with the vintage quality of shave,material build,plating etc etc I would expect the razor to cost in between 80-100 bucks.

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  12. flintlock

flintlock Member

Hi just seen this

Attached Files:

13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Well that's just a statue lol

14. [​IMG] masthead[1].png from their web page is the pic of the tech

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why buy a new Rolex when you can buy vintage ones? Or the same for Omega watches? Or Parker pens?

It's great that you found a cool vintage razor. But some people want new items, from a shop, with warranty. Nothing wrong with that.

I've seen the same discussions popping up on watch collectors and fountain pen forums. And the only sensible answer is; let people do their own thing, and don't tell those who prefer to buy new that they are wasting their money. They are not, from their point of view.

16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I just want to know what it is made of and how much it will cost. If it IS steel, and more than $30, there really is no reason for me to buy one when I can get the same thing on the Bay for much less.

However, I won't judge anyone who does buy one. As Eeyore said, do your own thing and be happy with it.

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. swarden43

Obvious marketing towards the hipsters.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My arm does look like that, but, I won't be buying one.

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Sorry @Eeyore , I didn't mean to upset you. So I will reply with my explanation, respectfully.

In my opinion, spending over a hundred dollars more, for the identical razor doesn't make sense. I guess that $100 warranty might make some people feel better about their purchase.
    My main point was to show people that the Fat Handle Tech is readily available, all over the place, for a fraction of the money that Gillette will be selling them for. As for warranties, these things are bulletproof, unless you step on them, or if they produce them out of Zamak. But I do understand those just "Wanting" something "New", for "New" sake. Just my opinion.
    As for Rolex, Omega, and watches. I own an Omega Seamaster Automatic, that I bought new in 1994, and their warranty stinks. I love the watch, but don't love the reliability. Many friends have a Rolex, and its the same story. They are all still pretty, but notoriously unreliable.
    It's just fancy wrist jewelry. Just my opinion.
    As for pen collecting, no opinion because I'm not into it.
    Now, cigars, that's a fun topic I can get into.

I think it's great that they are making the old stuff again, but I would like them to also produce something less common, and a little more user friendly. Many younger people don't like the idea of a three piece razor, it scares them trying to load the blade.

Peace

20. DaltonGang

Ditto.