Brother in Need of Help with Den

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by bscarpenter, Aug 5, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

OK, soooo. I'm not going to say that I've been on a buying binge. That would completely over simplify the issue. The real issue is that I do not have anywhere to store my "collections". So now my wife looks at my sink and can see how much I have "collected" and we all know there is no way to explain 12 razors, 4 creams , 5 soaps, 2 bowls, 1 scuttle, an assortment of blades, 10 aftershaves & four brushes to someone who is not logical.

Anyhow, I have a wall in the bathroom that currently has a towel rack and a horrible picture above it. I could put a cabinet on this wall and neatly place my collections of aftershaves, soaps, creams, brushes, razors, blades and incidentals. This cabinet does not need doors as if my sink area were clutter free, no one would know if anything had been added to this cabinet; however, I am not apposed to doors. It must be somewhat appealing to the eye. If it had a towel rack under it as part of the cabinet, bonus. The cabinet should not be too deep like a chest or table.

I am not a wood worker, but could probably hang such cabinet. I've been to Home Depot, Lowes, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel & Bed Bath and Beyond and cannot find anything suitable.

ANY IDEAS to help a brother out?

Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Look for an antique spice rack from the 1960's or '70's. You can find them in antique stores, shift shops, and garage sales, usually a couple bucks. Here's mine. Soaps will fit, though I usually don't store them there.
    [​IMG]

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like wall cabinets with doors. Depends upon the decor of the room and color scheme. These examples with glass doors are 24" tall, 22 wide and 6"deep. About $70.

display.jpg

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

IMG_0650.jpg
    Maybe this might help and you only have to do minimal work. I use this cosmetics case to store some of my razors. It's on a 6" x 24" shelf with room to keep shaving supplies, but any size will work. This case was about $16.00 on Ebay shipped. There are different configurations of cases, but this one you get more for the money. And it's cheaper buying from the US instead of China, go figure.

ninjack, Drawer and ob1page like this.
  6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Amazon, overstock Home Depot. Lowes. Search medicine cabinets.

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Firstly...are you looking to display or store? You always have to ask this first.

If you are looking to display, your best bets are a vintage spice rack as mentioned by @PLANofMAN , ikea storage racks/shelves, or if you have the cabinet space...a butler tray is a very nice display (I have one and it's great)

If you are looking to store it, then you can use old cigar boxes for flare, stackable shelving units from walmart or ikea for simplicity, or go with some antique boxes for looks (wine boxes look awesome, for instance).

178-bplatoon and Robyflexx like this.
  8. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I guess display. Anything on the floor would get kicked as someone walks by so I'm really looking for wall mounted. Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

$75 at a thrift store and you will have room to grow! :git:

image.jpeg

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You will never have enough space. I keep my razors and brushes elsewhere.
    the_den3.jpg

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  12. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Buy curio cabinets.

13. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I found a 70's secretary desk that fits nicely in the corner behind the bathroom door. Three shelves for storing/displaying, a desk area for storing, and three drawers for storing and if the acquisition disorders hit, you will run out of space, so plan ahead
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Ya could get a few floating shelves and hang over each other. They have them pretty narrow, like 4.5" or you could go wider, 8" or 9" all available in different lengths. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart and many other places. Very easy to hang as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Whenever my wufe starts griping at me for having too many soaps/shaving gear...i always point to pictures like this on here. Thank you. Keep them coming

16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I just remind my wife of how many pairs of shoes she owns ... and that her "collection" is much more expensive then mine

17. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Shoes and purses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteboy_cannon and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

FWIW-Lowe's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Straight razor dandy

So, what's your favorite/best performing aftershaves?

20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Very nice cabinet and shave gear.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk