Non "Old man"scents

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Linuxguile, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Swmbo is very picky about the scents I wear and most of which get classified as "Old man" by her. So I'm looking for suggestions. These are the scents I've tried and her observations.

Scents she likes:
    Florida Water
    Blades Grim Smolder
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Adidas Dynamic Pulse

Old man scents:
    Old spice
    Aqua Velva Blue Ice
    Tabac
    Special thanks to Perry @PLAla for samples of the following two:
    Lucky Tiger Aspen
    Country Club 1837

It seems anything with notes of powder get classified as "old man". So what suggestion do you have?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Demidog, PLAla and tuxxdk like this.
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Stirling Executive Man and Stirling Gentleman.............have Rod add Menthol.

3. Linuxguile

I have a tub of Executive Man soap and she has yet to comment on it. The scent seems kinda weak in the soap, is it stronger in the AS or balm ?

Bobcat likes this.
  4. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Vintage Avon has many 'Old Man' or barbershop type scents, but one that I like and use regularly is Blend7. I find it to be a nice clean scent without the powder note that often is found in 'Old Man' types.

Where does Brut fall in the spectrum for her?

Aqua Velva Ice Blue is a bit surprising in her no go list to me at least. I get that scent is real personal though.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. barbersurgeon

Lime Sec?

I need to order some more ogallala bay rum with cedar and sage. What's her take on bay rum?

Enrico, battle.munky and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

"I have a tub of Executive Man soap and she has yet to comment on it. The scent seems kinda weak in the soap, is it stronger in the AS or balm ?"

Yes....and I recommend the AS.

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

I haven't tried a bay Run or Lime Sec. I do love lime though!

barbersurgeon likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I dunno man, how much do you like your wife? There are plenty of ladies out there who like those aftershaves:p:D :cool:

On a serious note, I don't know if you like citrus or not but Pinaud Lime Sec is super cheap and smells fresh and clean. Royall Lime is pretty good too but much weaker than the Lime Sec.

I just recently got the Floid Blue type AS from TSD store and I really like the scent of it and it really isn't powdery, perhaps some of it (before the store closes) or the real sauce?

I had some of the St. Charles Shave Refined scent AS and it was great. They have lots of scents too and are inexpensive to boot.

D.R. Harris Sandalwood has made me a fan of sandalwood even though a lot of people are love hate with sandalwood, but D.R. Harris has earned my business with this AS. I will gladly try more scents when this one runs out.

AV Musk!

You can always make your own too. She could pick out the scent she wants to smell on you from the selections at the Whole Foods (or similar type grocery store) and you add some 100 proof vodka, glycerin, polysorbate 20, menthol crystals if you wish, and the fragrance, shake until blended and done. I can send you some menthol crystals if you choose to go this route.

9. barbersurgeon

The Ogallala Peppercorn and Lime gets pretty good reviews as well.

10. battle.munky

You beat me to it! I love this stuff.

Also @Linuxguile, 4711 is almost like lime but not exactly. It is ok too.

Linuxguile and barbersurgeon like this.
  11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It looks like SWMBO here is just the same as yours.

Thanks for starting this topic - I'll follow it for ideas :)

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

We don't have AV here, but Williams (same/same with a small twist, but essential the same to "everybody").

Only old men use it.

Personally I like it, but it's not "me". I like it because my father wears it and because I had a "fling" with it in my teens, only god knows why.. it didn't get me any ladies.... :)

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

What about Barbasol Pacific Rush? It's pretty sporty and modern in my opinion. You can get it for $1 around here.

Country Club Sweet Water is a nice modern, cologne-type scent.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Try looking up the scent palate for those she likes. Ya'll may find similar notes in common. Same for those she dislikes. If you are making your own there's the possibility of leaving out that one or two scents she disagrees with while including those that are approved.

I've found good detailed information on basenotes.

Linuxguile and battle.munky like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

@Linuxguile If you want me to get you a Pacific Rush bottle around here for $1 and send it to you then let me know!

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

9which
    I am an AV Musk fan...Im kind of neutral as to the "old-man scent" issue....I go for what is "clean, fresh, smells manly, and isn't something teens and young adults wear".(which doesn't mean they shouldn't give it a try).

17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Mmmm I smell a hint of powdery tone in it. But I love the stuff!

19. battle.munky

I get a ton of powder in the veg.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

How about prorasos white line? It is oatmeal and green tea. It smells great and is a fantastic performer.

Of course, another option may be too go with one with little or no scent and just put cologne on afterwards.