What blade is the WORST for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

This thread isn't to slander anyone. We all know results vary from person to person. There are a ton of threads on which is the "Best" blade.....but i'm wondering which blades have given you the worst shave?

For me....These two were pretty much exactly the same. Not sharp IMO and tugged like crazy on my beard.

Crystal (these were horrible for me, felt like I was shaving with a rusty beer can)
    Merkur.

So gents....what blades simply didn't work for YOU?

2. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Bic yellows, or 7am probably, I've had terrible variety from personna lab blues as well, though some of them have been good.

Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

4. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

I hated the Merkur that came with my Razor as well however I hear there are far worse out there and I have no desire to go test a bunch of razors to find them.

Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You'll hear a lot of opinion here... But here is some down low. People hate certain blades when they are newly converted. Hint: it's not the blades. When I was new, I wrote some silly stuff about blades, not realizing that technique was the real impediment to success.

Worst shave I have had in a while was Indian Wilkinson. The edge was pretty rough for a DE Blade, and have no desire to revisit.

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

While not a horrible experience, the Gillette Rubie was the one which didn't seem to do as well as the other blades I have. It just might be time to re-visit them and see how they do. Especially since it's been a while and my technique has vastly improved since then. Of course I have better soaps and brushes that should help also.

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just tried a blue bird blade, which I got from who knows where. Awful, it wasn't as good as the spent Wilkie that I just tossed.

8. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

So far, the worst blade I've tried is the "Lord platinum". I won't be buying any more of these.

Joe Ingal, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I didn't like sharks, but i used them when i was new. Maybe worth looking at everything again before I say.

ninjack, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I had the same experience with Shark SC. Hated it as a newbie, like it ok now.

11. Bama Samurai

Rough?

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Derby blades. They're the worst for me!

13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have a ton of blades, but i just started de shaving from sr shaving, so im not sure yet. I guess my worst would be vdh.

RetLEO-07, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I didn't like Dorco blades, and haven't felt this the need to revisit them.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And dull. At least I don't have a hundred of 'em:)

16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where I can get just about any blade to work well for me except Sharks.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Both the hubby & I got awful results with Personna. It was so irritating that neither of us could even complete one shave with one.

Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and Robyflexx like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, I've not heard that about a Peronna blade before. How long ago was that, and what razors were you using the Personna in?

19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Rainbow. Got a few of 'em in a sample pack. Next worst are Van der Hagen, the only blade carried by HEB's.

Joe Ingal, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Decided to go back and use the Gillette Rubie again and see if my technique has actually improved. And yes it has, at least I think so. Actually got a BBS shave out of it compared to "OK" shaves when I first used them.