Let's See Them Mugs!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Gillette_Man, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

No, I don't mean your faces -- I want to see some cool shaving mugs. I don't know if shaving mugs have their own acquisition disorder (smad?), but I know some of you have got to be stockpiling out there. So let's see what kind of vessels you like to whip your lather in.

Here's my current stash:
    [​IMG]

Starting with the Old Spice, and going clockwise, I have a:

Stainless steel wine bottle coaster from Crate and Barrel.

Cobalt blue soup cup from a thrift store.

Two-tone ceramic bowl from Cost Plus.

Pewter shaving cup that is sold by many vendors under many names (this is my fave).

Cool looking sugar bowl from an antique store (I melt my glycerine soap to fit into this).

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I used to use a cheap ikea oversized mug. I face lather now, and drink tea out of the mug.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Hmm, not much response here. This forum must be full of face latherers! :D

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

no picture but I use a ceramic cereal bowl.

5. freebird

freebird Active Member

Great post! This isn't all of my mugs, still missing some from my move 4 years ago.

[​IMG]
    Bottom:Old Spice mug next to one of the few "mint" Trac II's left...an unopened demonstration model in a mailing tin.
    Middle shelf: Marvy "A Close Shave", USQMC (U.S. Quarter Masters Corp)dated Sept. 16 1940, Jackson China, Burma Shave. Upper Shelf: Rose mug (belonged to my Great Uncle, Ford T "Lizzie" 1908, C&E scuttle. Top: St Louis Rams coffee mug, Old Spice coffee mug, pueblo design coffee mug.

[​IMG]
    Scuttle with flowers, scuttle mug (no drainage holes), VDH mug, portion of my poor-boy's razor stand and brush warmer,Wal-Mart sugar bowl turned Ogallala Bay Rum soap dish.

[​IMG]
    Shaving soap dish, missing the brush which resembled the spare on a continental kit.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

How do you lather in a camera?

That is a cool trick:happy102

7. freebird

freebird Active Member

well it's like this, you place a small bit of cream on the lens......:shocked003 actually, those are there because they fit on the shelf lol. I'm having to re-arrange my shaving supplies yet again due to my Mom's Alzheimer's. We're having to lock up all sharp objects etc.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nice collection, Freebird! And an extra super-duper thumbs up for the Rams mug! I just know that one makes the best lather! :happy088:happy108:happy088

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm too lazy....errr.....busy, I mean, to take a picture of my shaving mug.

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Booo...hisss...:taunt002

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Shaving mug. For face latherers that would mean pix of their face right? But for some of us we use the mug not just to mix the lather sometimes but to keep the brush warm between passes when we do face lather so there is no excuse for not posting at least a list of what you have.

Now that I am done sermonizing I want to brag about my vast collection. I have and use everyday a $1.99 white latte mug from K-Mart and when I go on the road I use an old Old Spice mug that will hold my container of The FAT soap.

Vast collection right? Well it works for me. But I too would love to see what others are using.

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yeah, what he says! Let's see those mug shots!

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I got this in some artsy pottery place in a little town outside of Atlanta. I think it is some sort of a sauce serving dish/ bowl. It works great for my purposes. I just wish I could get better lighting. This thing looks much better than the pics show.

Attached Files:

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very attractive mug! :happy088

Get a bowl that fits on top, and you got yourself a scuttle, too.

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Cool mug Whiskerlips! :cool:

I just use a white soup bowl that almost looks identical to the one in the first photo, top center.....works fine enough...sure could use some help in the looks dept though :o

16. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

My first mug was a Target cereal bowl that had formerly been purchased for an ashtray. But I quit smoking and still had it around. It worked great.

My lady and I were walking around this town recently and the store had just closed but the lady let us in to look around. I'm glad she did. I love this pottery bowl. The lady usually isn't too happy with me buying new shaving stuff, but this she loved.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Like I said, I am not a mug guy, but I did just win this 1950s old spice mug on ebay as a side effect of wanting that brass brush handle.

[​IMG]

18. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

So Rodd, are you going to auction off your cereal bowl now? :D

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

NEVER!!! :D I love having the extra room to lather, and my soaps all have their own containers. I probably will give it a go, but I don't see myself giving up the bowl.

20. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Just remember to rinse it thoroughly before you eat your corn flakes out of it -- I don't know if they taste very good mixed with Lavender or Sandalwood. :D