How often do you clean your DE Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lgagnon, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

If it is one that I use, then it gets a few minutes in barbicide before I hang it on my razor rack. That usually keeps it clean.

2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding necrobumping but I didn't think it was appropriate to create another thread asking the same exact question.

Lately I've been cleaning my razor(s) every weekend. I finally got a vintage razor and somehow, I feel like it attracts soap scum a little too well. I love the way that it looks after a fresh scrub and I usually use dish soap and warm water, but sometimes I follow up with Scrubbing Bubbles.

I also don't know if it's just in my head, if it's the lighting in my bathroom, or if it's just the contrast, but I feel like this one razor looks a bit discolored sitting in the stand. I hope that I didn't damage it by using the wrong type of toothpaste when I was trying to polish it once, but I feel like a good scrub with soap at least temporarily makes it look a more normal color.

RyX, wristwatchb and Matt0210 like this.
  3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I clean my razors (only 2 in rotation now) about once a month. I just use dish soap, warm water and toothbrush.
    For me it keeps the soap scum from building, even through I rinse and wipe the razor after each shave, soap still builds especially in my slim.
    I haven't used toothpaste to polish my razors, I used Flitz once when I first got the slim 2 years ago and haven't polished it since.

Demidog and wristwatchb like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No rules at all about necrobumping. Shows you're serious about this by being willing to put in some time to search :happy088:

tuxxdk, RyX, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I give each one a good soak & scrub in Dawn & hot water when I get 'em (they're all used vintage). After that, I only rinse & pat dry after I use 'em.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you call cleaning. If you mean scrubbing it with a toothbrush or something like that, never. I have really hard water (well water) so everytime i shave it leaves a white residue on my razor. So i wipe it off with a towel every other day before i shave. But thats it.

Demidog likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Other than rinsing it off post-shave, pretty much never. I will scrubbing bubbles off the hard water stains if I change to a different razor tho.

Demidog, wristwatchb and Matt0210 like this.
  8. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I guess you guys just found the OCD one, because I clean mine after EVERY use....I have a soft-fine toothbrush that I use and just put soap on it and scrub away (blade too), then I dry it all off and use a q-tip to get all the tough spots...I oil and polish about once a month.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: I rinse my razor under the tap after every shave, and I usually change out my razor monthly. Before I put it away, I'll clean it with soft soap and a toothbrush, spray it with scrubbing bubbles to remove any remaining soap residue, rinse it well, and let it dry.

I've never lubricated my razors, but I probably should. The next time I use one of my TTO's, I will work a couple of drops of mineral oil into the mechanism.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Demidog likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I remove the blade and rinse it off and dry it, then I rinse my razor and dry it. I do this for all my razors except the injectors. Them, I just rinse well and dry. If I use it, I clean it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Dzia Dzia and Demidog like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I give mine a good scrubdown when I replace the blade, which is every 3-4 shaves. I also give it a good rinse after every use.

Demidog likes this.
  12. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

well when your done using it, run some iso propyl alcohol of the 91% variety through. That helps SO much with scum and water mineral buildup inside.

13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I only clean my safety razor when the blade need replacing, and before I put in a new blade I give a quick clean with antibacterial pump soap from the bathroom with a small toothbrush.

14. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

:signs011:

15. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I used to clean my razors with toothpaste and a toothbrush when I saw soap scum. I haven't done that for many moons now. Now, I just rinse with very warm water and shake. I can live with the soap scum. You should see my scuttle which, after more than two years of daily use, is mostly white. I can't even remember what the original colors were. I like to call soap scum "patina."

RyX and SpeedyPC like this.
  16. SpeedyPC

@pbrmhl you're bloody joking right??????????? that's strange using toothpaste ??

Shaver X likes this.
  17. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Why not? If it's supposed to protect the precious enamel on your teeth, why should it harm your razor? Plus, why not use something that's already in the bathroom? My cleaning solutions are in a whole other place.

Seriously, I used toothpaste because the forums were promoting it a couple of years ago. I don't know if they do anymore, because I embrace the patina.

Shaver X likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I clean my razors when they look like they need it, which is usually three or four times a year. Rinsing them under hot water after every shave seems to keep them pretty clean all by itself.

Well, it does clean teeth and is mild. Maybe it would work on razors, too? Interesting, I will have to try that.

19. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I do have to say, toothpaste does a better job of brightening my razors than brightening my 60 year-old teeth...

SpeedyPC and Shaver X like this.
  20. SpeedyPC

@pbrmhl please smile at the camera
    [​IMG]