Schick Repeating Razor Owners Club (SRROC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Redfisher, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Check this out...Now I know this isn't a repeater....But the point is, this is Octavius Victor Rodrigue's patent drawings for the 'D' type...notice it was filed July of 1933...The last C3 improvment patents were filed in '36...therefore Rodrigues was not thinking of the injector razor as an improvment to replace the repeater...It was merely another style razor to be offered concurrently...

I believe probably the powers at be determined the injector cost less to make, so they stopped production of the C3...But if left up to Octavius....We probably would have had repeaters being made during the whole timeline of Schick....But with all the workmanship that goes into the repeaters....maybe it's a good thing they stopped production while the quality was at an appex.
    image.jpg
    And here we have his patent drawings of the E2..done in '37...I don't have the drawings of the E1....but he was still tweaking his C series repeaters even at this time!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Billyfergie, Hodge, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Great work birdman!

Billyfergie, Karl G and Bird Lives like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Thanks "Red'".....I feel sure that Rodrigues wanted the C repeater series and the D, E, and F types to be produced concurrently...but WWII stopped production of everything except Military Contract production. And the Military Contracts picked the E's as their Schick of choice for the battlefields and Navy use. After the War, only the E types went back into production...After the War, things had changed, and I'm sure the cost of production and brass shortages had everything to do with it...The E's bake-lite handles also worked in this new metal shortage environment....And it was only 5 years before the Korean War, and then another freeze on using brass, all brass was needed for shell casings and such.... so the plastic handles were perfect during the worse brass shortage America had ever seen....

It would have been interesting to see what direction the repeaters would have gone in...although, the C types are pretty much perfection! I personally think, things might have gone downhill, like we have seen with most shaving systems...a sign of "Progress" if you will....};^(

But the good news is....WE STILL HAVE THESE !!!!!

Billyfergie, Hodge, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The only real problem I can find with the design was blades rusting in the handle. I think I might have an instruction booklet around here somewhere that basically said to only rinse the head and to keep the handle dry. Fat chance right! 20 blades could last a long time. Probably should have went with 5 instead. Such a great razor !

Bird Lives and Karl G like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Well the original blades had an oil protecterant that didn't gum- up the works....So they would have been cool...I think! I was posting to keep things dry...with the newer thinner blades, oil can cause them to stick together and BAM! You got a jam!....I've been keeping mine dry and haven't had a jam in 6 months, but still keeping fingers crossed....lol!
    I carry mine empty though and run one blade through the works when I load a new blade...why tempt fate? Right? But I still run that blade through the mechanism...I love that part!

6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The first patent is already in my collection: http://razors.click/patents/1934InjectorPatent/
    The second one is on my list of patents to be added. It takes a couple of hours work to add each patent and I want to enhance my 'patent-displaying-framework' first.
    I think they were exploring all kinds of razor designs. Look at this 'injector' patent by Jacob Schick, filed before he invented his electric razor. It was allegedly claimed for the D/E/F/G types: :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  7. Bird Lives

Looks like the good Col. invented the Shavette!....or at least patented it!
    This is a Jacob Schick patent on a repeater:
    image.png
    These would have been for the B type
    image.jpg
    After this Octavius Victor Rodrigues invented the C types, D, E, F & G's.....Rodrigues really had some vision aswell..
    And here are Octavius' drawings for the F type, I've already posted the D, and E drawings...
    image.jpg

Billyfergie, Hodge and Karl G like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh this stuff is just too cool! Thanks Bird!

HERM

Bird Lives and Karl G like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Nice work....that last patent has a very important part; the 40 series lever; of the c type platform. So I see Octavius used that lever in his 'C' type....So the genius of the good Col. can still be seen in the Schick Simplified Automatic....};^D

Great work you're doing here...:happy088:

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  10. riverrun

Both patents added. US2111739 and US2060243.
    Thank you. I now have quite a nice little 'framework' for converting the PDF patent to an online version and I have added a couple more features (click on 'Help' to see what can be done). Most of the time is now spent proof reading the automatic text recognition by Google with the original document. It's never without mistakes and sometimes whole paragraphs have been skipped or mangled. :( If the text was perfect (or corrected by someone else) it would take less than half an hour to put a patent online. I'll add a few more patents over the next days..

Mustache and Karl G like this.
  11. riverrun

I know this is the wrong thread, however...
    Interesting patent that. I've put it online here.
    While the razor looks like an F-Type (which unfortunately I don't own) I believe there is a difference. One of the main claims of the patent is the curved front of the head. I've marked it in red in the following detail image:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the F-Type had that, but I'd be happy to be corrected.
    Another interesting detail is that the patent was granted more than 10 years after the other patents by Rodrigues and it is not assigned to the Magazine Repeating Razor Co (or any other company), but to him personally.

Karl G likes this.
  12. riverrun

OK. I have added this Jacob Schick patent for the B-Type repeater to my online collection as well:
    http://razors.click/patents/US1730167/
    That's a total of 20 DE/SE/Injector patents I have done now. I'll have a break now. :rolleyes:
    I'd love to add the patent for the adjustable Type M injector: https://www.google.com/patents/US3203093
    But the size of it takes me close to a nervous breakdown. :eek:
    I'll add it when someone sends me the proof-read plain text of it, i.e. never... :D:D

Karl G and Bird Lives like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Ahhh good ole Leo Kunhl.....Leopold was on some of Octavius' patent apps...and on a few blade injector patents....Rodrigues and Kunhl seem to dominate all the Schick improvements after The Col.'s B type...Have to give credit where credit is due....Eversharp did come up with very hip improvements while still keeping the integrity of Rodrigues' original Schick Injectors manf. previous to Eversharps ownership....

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

So here are my beauties
    I'm gonna have to start using them. The first few shaves I had with my b2 were just so so.. but now that I have a few more.. I'm gonna have to try them out.

IMG_4028.jpg

preidy, Herm2502, Hodge and 4 others like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Killer collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Karl G, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Those are awesome. :happy036:Give them some time to grow on you. My first shave or two with my C3 left me feeling meh. I was considering it for trade or a sale. Then @Bird Lives started posting how it might be his favorite razor and I tried it again. Wow, something clicked and now I'd put it up there as one of my favorite injectors. I think getting used to that nearly perpendicular angle was the key. :happy088:

17. Bird Lives

:shocked029:
    Glad I could help you dodge that bullet! Whew! Talk about regrets...:eek: Part with your C3 ? :rolleyes005:
    Boy that would have been a BIG mistake.......unless you were gonna give it to me! :lam:
    OK, OK, I take it back! Just kiddin'

Man, after reading this post earlier today, I broke out my Schick Simplified Automatic ! Actually I didn't "Break it out"... Thats the one razor I always keep out by the sink on it's own ledge...No matter what I'm using.....one pull.....one tug.....And the C3 comes twirling out (insert karate chopping, Bruce Lee type sound effects here):kar:

Yep, there are several favorites in my humble arsenal, but the C3 is in a league of it's own. The more I use it; the more I bond and uncover it's amazing potential...Rodrigues sure got it ALL right with this one!

Yep...Karl....This just might be my favorite razor. Course I haven't copped my Russian Str8 yet.....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Hodge, Billyfergie, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  18. Bird Lives

Awesome!
    Repeaters Rock!
    I only actually shaved with the C3....but I crazy for it....Eventually I'll need them all I suppose....The A and B are actually Col. Schick's progeny.

19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Glad I could help you dodge that bullet! :happy093:

You did indeed and my den is the better for it. No doubt you accumulated mounds of good shaving karma - hmmm, maybe that explains @Billyfergie turning you on to that 1909... :happy102:

Bird Lives and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Yeah Mang! That was a find!.....I'd been looking for one for years....a friend of mine in Canada found one and he came down to Seattle to hear me play, and I insisted he bring the 1909 and he didn't! He said he was afraid I take it!:transport024:.......Well now I have my own so cats won't be afraid to bring their "New Ever Ready"s to the PNW anymore.:happy097: @Billyfergie see, Billy did cats around here a big service :happy102:

Karl G, twhite and Billyfergie like this.