Let's Hear Some Opinions On Ladas Blades...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Many sites selling various blades all have similar warnings: "They are PTFE (a.k.a. Teflon) coated to ensure a smooth shave and a long-lasting blade. (Do not wipe these blades dry after use as doing so will remove the PTFE coating.)" I never wipe a blade anyway so whether wiping dulls the blade or removes the coating I guess one should not wipe the blade.

NCoxSTL, Demidog and Linuxguile like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

No blade wiping for me; cut my fingers to pieces the last time I tried!

RetLEO-07 and Demidog like this.
  3. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I tried a Ladas a few months ago and thought it was ok. I decided to try one again last week and I like it better than I remember. I found the Voskhod to be a little dull, but I plan on giving it a try again. I found the Rapira Platinum Luxe to be really smooth and plenty sharp, but platinum blades seem to irritate my skin. My go to blade is Personna Lab.

Linuxguile and Demidog like this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just received three different Rapira blades from Try A Blade. I'll be shaving a bit later today and plan on using the Rapira Platinum Lux. Looking forward to it.

5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I :love029: Russian blades. I can get decent shaves from just about any blade, but the Russians treat my face better than most. The only ones I haven't tried from Mostochlegmash are the black & pink Rapira SS and the Sharp Stars. Of those that I have tried, the ones that I would buy again are Voskhod (I have 200 in my stash) and Ladas (contemplating a 200 purchase).

SpeedyPC and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - across the board the Russian blades generally out perform the others. I just shaved with the Rapira Platinum Lux. A great shave - see my post on Shower and Shave of the Day thread.

Demidog, SpeedyPC and dkeester like this.
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I just used a Ladas from my sample pack. I'm not really sure what to make of it because the first pass wasn't so great, but the second pass was incredibly smooth. I have to go back and test some of previous favorites again but there's a good chance that I might order some Ladas blades soon. One thing I can say for sure is that Mostochlegmash really knows how to make good blades and I am a huge fan of them after my experience with a Voskhod and now a Ladas.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The Ladas blade is the next up for my testing. It will be tomorrow's shave. Interesting that with the 25 different blades tested so far I have ranked 9 of them as giving me a really excellent shave. All but one of those is Russian made.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have a few tucks on the way as well. Yeah the Russians know how to make blades.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Just shaved with the Ladas. An excellent shave. My review is posted on the Shower and Shave of the Day thread.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Been there did that when I first started this journey.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  12. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I am at the end of a second round of testing between Voskhod, Rapira Plat Lux and Ladas. My current thinking is that I could probably use the Rapira Plat Lux as my everyday blade, replacing the Astra SP in my den with the less expensive blade.

From my testing on my own face, with a Razorock Mentor and Merkur 37C, the Ladas was the sharpest. Both the Rapira Plat Lux and Ladas were smoother (for me) than the Voskhod. I know this is contrary to many peoples' experiences, where the Voskhod is the smoothest.

I wanted to commit to the Ladas, because during the shave it was really comfortable and gave great results. But I found that, using it exclusively over a period of several days, it ate away at my face - increasing the irritation. It's kinda weird, each shave felt great at the time; but after the fourth day, hours after the fourth shave, I could feel the irritation and I knew I had pressed my skin too hard. This delayed feeling of irritation increased each consecutive day that I used the Ladas in the razors I cited. Usually, I know right away if I pressed my skin too hard, so for me this was an interesting effect.

I can't use Feathers every day either, but I have a couple razors where Feathers are absolute magic. I wonder whether Ladas could be used as a cheaper alternative to Feathers in my shave den with those particular razors. Will be trying that out soon!

Carbide Mike, Col C and Demidog like this.
  13. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Russian blades are a Matryoshka doll. Every brand and variation can smile with rosy cheeks paired with the magic soap and razor. This is the fun part and if you expect a favoured soap or razor to deliver automatically the shave will get smaller and smaller and...........

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I find Ladas to be very smooth.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm finalizing my bulk order purchase and Ladas are one of the blades on the list.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

I think they are okay but I reach for a voskhod

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - I rate Voskhod a better blade.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer Ladas over Voskhod. Ladas are just a bit more sharp initially than an Astra SP, my go to blade. The Astra seems to retain sharpness longer than the Ladas...But in a blind test, I doubt I could tell an Astra SP from a Ladas.

I get a shave or two less from a Ladas than an Astra, but at half the price, the Ladas give you more bang per buck.

19. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Ladas give me a good close shave and prefer them over sputnik, raipiras, and vokshod.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Demidog and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I tried three different Rapiras - there was a lot of difference between them. The Rapira Lux I consider an excellent blade but the Swedish Steel and Stainless - not so much. Have not tried the Sputnik blade. Although I rate the Voskhod a bit higher than the Ladas - I admit I have had extremely close and smooth shaves with Ladas.

Demidog, TCBENNETT55 and Carbide Mike like this.