January 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2016.

?

How long have you been part of the 30 Day Crew?

1. Charter Member baby! Since January 2015

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Over a year and a half

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. About a year

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Last 6 months or so

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. This is only my 2nd or 3rd month

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I'm a Newbie!!

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. I'm not telling until you give me a cookie!!

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy Anniversary!!

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. So, let’s get down to the usual business. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)
    1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)​

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)
    This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.​

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is left over Ginger Snaps! If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.​

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Criticize Russian blades, especially Voskhod, at your own peril. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

8. You might consider taking it easy on Feathers as well. The Yakuza boys are pretty protective as well, though their leader has been converted by the Russians it seems. Score one for the Motherland!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to the SECOND ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Always a pleasure, great new intro! Let's do this...

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm in for another Focus! Actually I have to finish December's and start a blade search for my NEW SC. Happy New Year!!
    :bounce017:

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome back for another round! Happy New Year!

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year!! The Cartel humbly suggests a Russian blade of some sort. With or without the vodka.

6. RetLEO-07

Voskhods, and 7 o'clock Greens are in the running as well as Feather Blacks. GSB is the baseline.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I think I will join you boys again after taking a month off. This month will be a month of Route 66 soaps and straight razors only. Even when traveling, no excuses.
    Happy New Year!

8. RetLEO-07

I saw that Route 66 thread and will be following it. I am thinking about giving soaps a try and 66 in particular.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year! No excuses - we'll hold you to that!

10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'll be here for cookies and shenanigans mostly, but will be joining in on some of the shavette fun, with the occasional straight and DE thrown in. Happy New Year, everybody!

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year!

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, a video. Great upgrade to kick off the new year.

The last two months I focused on using the same soap for 4 days straight. Given my love of change I was impressed I was able to stick with it. While I will increase the number of shavette shaves to be simpatico with monthly theme I will focus on brushes and using the same brush 4 days in a row.

me.001.jpeg

Happy New Year and you just barely see my apartment in the picture above.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great video and a fantastic way to introduce the concept. Happy New Year!!!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for the month. I will be using Route 66 Soaps, Timeless Open Comb and a variety of brushes and aftershaves.

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:bounce017: HAPPY NEW YEAR to the 30 Day Crew :bounce017:

:git: Let's Rock in 2017!! :happy036:

16. RetLEO-07

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Happy New Year 30DC!

I am in for the month. I am still working through my safety razors, so this will continue. But my main focus is going to be testing soaps for post shave feel. I have more soaps than just can use in a month, so I may not get through all of them, but I am going to skip my PSB for the month, as this really hides a soap that does not perform well in this area. I will still put on AS splash.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Happy New Year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'll join. This month I will mostly just focus on simply shaving every day. Incredible concept I know...

Actually my continuation of December's unfocused Focus will use just a single soap for the month - my Eternal Tub of TOBS Avocado croap. I am going to continue using it until I finally drive a stake through its heart, however long that takes. A solid month of use in November barely dented the 1/3 remnant in the tub and occasional use through December removed almost nothing, but maybe January will do for it. The heavier use of large boar brushes should help.

That's the second thing: I plan to use set weekly rotations of razors, blades and now brushes to try to narrow down my preferences in each. In mid December, I organized my razors into a weekly 7 razor rotation of DEs, injectors and a Gem SE with a different brand of blade in each to work out my preferred razors and blades. With only one or two shaves on each blade, I expect that rotation to continue unchanged throughout January at least.

I recently counted up my brushes and was shocked ... Shocked!, I tell you ... to discover I had no fewer than 17 of them (although to be fair, 5 were vintage that came in lots with other items). My theory and I am sticking to it is that razors, blades and especially brushes breed if left in dark cupboards.

Anyway, 3 are completely NIB and might as well remain that way for now, which leaves me 14 to use in a two-week rotation - 4 badger, 5 boar and 5 synthetic (two recently reknotted vintage boars). My aim is to see which ones I would like to use regularly and if the rest should be sold or PIFed, reknotted or in a couple cases simply dumped.

Basically a month to play with hardware while the software stays set. (I will also keep the aftershave simple this month with just alum and Thayers witch hazel.)

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Happy Anniversary! I've participated sporadically in the 30 Day focus since the beginning and vow to continue my inconsistent efforts in 2017. January will be Japanese with a continued focus on Feather blades, but I will stick with my Blackland Blackbird open comb this month.

I keep ridiculous track of my shaves using a google spreadsheet and see that I will finish 2016 with 363 face and head shaves. I guess I will keep up with this OCD effort in 2017 (who am I kidding? Of course I'll keep track of them!)