Proraso Green

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have watched a lot of shaving videos in the past few years. I have read a lot of posts on shaving soaps on shaving forums. I often notice that people refer to Proraso Green as a good "beginner's soap". The truth is...whether you are a newb or someone who has a lifetime of shaving under their belt (like me) you will be hard pressed to find a soap as fine as Proraso green. It is easy to lather, it has a thick cushion, a lovely scent, its inexpensive...and slick. What more can I say.:smiley respect: It is a giant among giants. :eatdrink047: Am I right...or am I right?

There...I feel better now. :) Carry on...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    TobyC, Carbide Mike, Demidog and 5 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The nice thing about shaving creams and soaps is that there is such a variety to try.

Sent using Tapatalk

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Never tried the green - have the red and use it every so often. I have about 20 soaps with more on order. To say one soap is "it" - I just can't do that. I enjoy the variety from day to day - I never use the same soap twice in a row. I want the soap to dry before I use it again.

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My experience was very different. It was super dry. I could could get big puffy lather but it dried my face something fierce.

crackstar, Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I like it and it's a good soap for the price. Is it the best out there for a beginner? I don't know, but the beginner won't go wrong with it. I've gone through two tubs of it and have a third one in the den. Would I buy it again? Of course!

TobyC, Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't used Proraso Green, but then again have I? C.O.Bigelow is the same product from what I read. Good stuff! My first experience with a menthol shave soap. When I finish this tube, I'll get a tub of the Proraso to replace it. I do have a tub of White - Sensitive? I like it too.

TobyC, Carbide Mike and Dzia Dzia like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I find Proraso green to be a good and economical everyday soap. The menthol is really mild and is just barely noticeable. It lathers well and is slick enough. For the price, it's a good soap. I actually prefer the sandalwood soap more.

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Well that's not encouraging, I haven't tried mine yet, but I thought it was a popular soap, so I was eager to try it. But I still will of course! :happy088:

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Proraso was the first soap I turned to when Old Spice was no longer available. It's a fine soap and served me well for many years. I still keep a tub around and use it when I travel. I prefer tallow soaps for every day use. My son has used Proraso exclusively for 15+ years and loves it.

"Beginner's soap?" I have no idea what that means, but a soap that's been around for about 100 years has probably reached beyond "beginners."

Carbide Mike and TobyC like this.
  10. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I have a hard time making my mind up on should I get a cream or soap. I'm still at this battle over Proraso green right now.

crackstar, RyX, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Fully agree! Though it takes sooo long to finish a soap that way.

TobyC and Carbide Mike like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Try it, you might like it!

I am absolutely not a fan of the Proraso soaps, but I am a fan of YMMV ... so chances are the Green works great for you.

RyX, TobyC and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    IMO, for the price, Proraso Green in the tub is a good, not great soap. I prefer the cream in the tube and that is what I take with me on the road. (Actually, I use the C. O. Bigelow version) I do enjoy the scent; the cushion and the protection. I didn't get the slickness and it left a white film on my razor. Not the end of the world though.

TobyC likes this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I will definitely use it, I got the red and the green, I want to use up some other stuff first though.

RyX likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

You can have both for less than the price of many other creams and soaps on the market. I haven't tried any of the Proraso soaps but I have used a bunch of artisan soaps and after using the Proraso creams, I've come to prefer them over soaps in general. I don't have to worry about having the perfect amount of water in my brush so that I can load it properly. I just put some cream into a scuttle or on my brush and get to lathering. I also find the creams slightly easier to lather. I actually wish that more artisans made creams.

16. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I would not reference it as a beginner soap, but a soap good for beginners due to it's low cost and accessibility. For someone who wants to try lathering with a brush it's a great entry point. Performs decent enough, was a little drying to me but all in all it's a great value. I don't use it any more because I want a variety and just found this one not interesting enough. But for many people this is a go to daily soap and I see nothing wrong with that.

jtspartan likes this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

After using the white soap, I feel that it has a slight edge. It's not as strongly mentholated in my opinion, which is a plus. It also feels a lot more soothing than the green and red variety. Proraso claims that the white line is anti-irritation and it lives up to the marketing. I made some bad movies while shaving with the white soap and yet my post-shave is completely pain-free.

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I started with Green, like the menthol and love the scent. But it's not the slickest soap out there.

HERM

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The White is perfect for sensitive skin and it's NOT AT ALL menthol-free. In fact I find it almost as cooling as the Green.

Robyflexx and Demidog like this.
  20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I agree that these are the reasons that it is considered a 'beginners' cream. IMHO, a cream/soap with this much menthol and eucalyptus is not truly a beginners soap. Beginners (I still consider myself one!) cause enough burn/nicks/irritation as technique improves that this level of 'cooling' is not the best. A mild, slick soap would truly be a beginner's soap...as always, YMMV!

Demidog likes this.