Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

IMG_1032.JPG

Sitting in the garage listening to John Coltrane on a rainy day.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 12302016 pm.gif
    Last nights late night. I've run nothing but H&H Viprati thru the Stanwell. Another tin in the cellar.

AGHisBBS, BamaT, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

To those who gather here:

Happy New Year, and may 2017 bring blessings to your life!

I plan on a midnight time pipe here, no party, all is quiet on the prairie.

AGHisBBS, RyX, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  5. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Happy New Year! Too cold for me to go out for a pipe tonight though.

AGHisBBS, RyX, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  6. Erik Redd

IMG_1033.JPG

Started the new year by cracking a new tin of OGS. The first flake was so good on a peaceful Sunday morning I had a second bowl.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Lo'Gosh and 1 other person like this.
  7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I had an embarrassment of riches of new pipes and baccy in December. This pipe was a Christmas gift from my wife who with some guidance of a friend picked a great smoking and looking pipe.
    Savinelli hand made SunSet 315 enjoying with some Elizabethan Mixture.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Lo'Gosh, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I aquried 6 pipes and 1 and 1/2 pounds of baccy with another 10 oz in route all in December.
    And this is the reason I was able to complete NB '16, spent my $ of pipes and baccy this year.
    Top is a commissioned RobE Art prince style with titanium band
    Next is Sav hand made Sun Set 315
    Then Sav New Art Natural 626
    Next Paul's Cayuga, one of a kind hand made by the owner with deer antler
    NOS blank anodized Falcon (no logo on mouthpiece)
    Last is eBay special a T Christano unstamped Canadian
    [​IMG]
    And the baccy, not picture because it's enroute is 5 tins of Smokers Haven Select Mixture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    AGHisBBS, Lo'Gosh, RyX and 3 others like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Happy New Year everyone!

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Rainy New Year's Day in Alabama, mild temps. On the front porch having my first pipe in a while, 4th Generation with Esoterica Peacehaven.

dbersh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nice haul! Great looking pipes. I've got one opened bag of Peacehaven, jarred now of course and another unopened. Mine was fairly damp and clumpy, but when dried enough it is a nice smoke IMHO. A lighter Virginia, more citrus and hay like vs the deep dark fruit aroma of stoved/matured.

It took some effort to get mine dried. I pulled it apart from the clump, and left it in a bowl for 2 or 3 days. But I do like it.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    Oops! I forgot to add the pic earlier. 4th Generation, Peacehaven, relaxing!

AGHisBBS, trey06dmd, Lo'Gosh and 4 others like this.
  13. Erik Redd

IMG_1034.JPG

After a quick storm rolled thru this morning it was time for a flake of OGS in this estate Castello. From the nomenclature on the pipe, I believe it is from the '50's to mid '60's. It's a great smoker.

dbersh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    Working in garage pipe before the Sugar Bowl, Newminister Superior Round with a pinch of PS 701 Virginia in an H.I.S. Bent.

dbersh, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

After dinner

[​IMG]

BamaT, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 01022017.png
    Gave the backdoor neighbor a ride to work. Enjoyed a Jobey,a pinch of Perique, & a dash of GLF.

dbersh, BamaT, Lo'Gosh and 4 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Perique-tin note is quite, um, unique!

What do you suggest I start with for first cut? I am a VA smoker. This is your path...

I got three hours of radio, TSD and briar coming soon.

dbersh, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I have a soft spot for HIS pipes. Good everyday pipes.

BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Huh... ok. The student teaches the teacher? The previous batch I enjoyed was less vinegar, more plum tin (ziplock baggie) note.
    If you aren't ready for full tilt Crowley the easy choice is go VaPer. Think of it as a condiment, take 10 - 20% Perique to 80 - 90% straight Virginia. Some blends get jiggy with 40% P, but I tend to around 20%.
    I've enjoyed P & Burley. The fruitiness of the fermented leaf added to the fresh nuttiness of Wessex burley slice rewarded a fruitcake aroma.
    OTC Carter Hall offers a sweetness that compliments the sometimes peppery Perique.
    What do you have that has lost it's kick, something that's a bit bland? Fermenting the leaf under pressure for a year has intensified certain flavors. I'm still experimenting, but I haven't disliked any combos yet.
    That said I haven't tried P with Latakia. That's my personal choice because I didn't like the tin note of any bulks I've encountered.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and trey06dmd like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

You have infinitely more experience with straight Perique. This is the first time I've ever had any to blend. The burley fruitcake effect seems neat. I've got some 656 open now. Also there is some Sutliff straight Va around. I figure OGS is 1-3% Perique at most, and Dunhill Navy might be 10%, Anniversary Kake has quite a bit...but this is my first time cooking with it!

RyX and trey06dmd like this.