Books you can read again and again...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jan 6, 2015.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I tried at various times in my teens and twenties to read the Hobbit. Couldn't do it. Never looked at Harry Potter, though both my boys loved all the books. My youngest is a huge fan of all of Tolkien's stuff

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

Rogers Profanisaurus

3. Poster

Poster Member

Erich Maria Remarque "All Quiet on the Western Front"

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Lord of the Rings? The Hobbit is a little slow, and a little dry compared to the LotR. I generally recommend people start with The Fellowship and then backtrack to The Hobbit before moving on to Two Towers.

Douglas Carey and Tdmsu like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I am rereading Dune right now. I've never read any of the other books in the series, but I plan to this year.

I also reread Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on occasion.

6. RetLEO-07

"The Landscape Turned Red" by Stephen W Sears. The Battle of Antietam. I read it every September. "The Killer Angels" by Michael Sharra. The Battle of Gettysburg. My youngest son read it in Middle School and it hooked him on history. He's currently a Junior at Gettysburg College majoring in History with a minor in Civil War Studies.

PLAla, dangermouse and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I like fiction.
    Honor Harrington series by David Weber
    Safehold series by David Weber
    All of James A. Michener
    All of Dean Koontz up til 2006
    Ken Follett
    All of the Star Wars books up till 1999. The original Star Wars book for the first Star Wars book came out before the movie. The 1st edition was a paperback.(a little trivia for you)
    Books by Harold Coyle
    Books by Richard Bach
    Jeffery Archer
    Irwin Shaw
    Herman Wouk
    Leon Uris
    John Jakes

There are more. I have about 2500 ist edtions.

Non fiction. WWII is my main interest.
    The best books I have found on some areas are of WWII is the one by Cornelius Ryan.

Douglas Carey and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

I too am into WWII history. My Dad was USN in the Pacific during the war. Some of my favorite authors about that period; Eugene Sledge, Robert Lecke, Stephen Ambrose, William Manchester. These were only off the top of my head. Harold Coyle is one of my fav military fiction writers. David Drake on the sci-fi side. Too many to think of right now

PLAla, wristwatchb and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. 90quattrcoupe

My Dad and his brother were both in the Pacific. Mom's 1st cousin was on the hospital ship Solace at Pearl Harbor, Saipan, Iwo, and Okinawa.
    William Manchester's - The Arms of Kruppe, Ambrose's - Band of Brothers. Sledge's - The Old Breed, are all good books. I thought the mini-series Pacific was pretty well done. Even though it is Europe, you should try Cornelius Ryan. His Longest Day was about D-Day, A Bridge Too Far was about the Market Garden fiasco and the Last Battle was about the final days in Europe. He only used 1st person accounts to weave into a story. All accounts had to be verified by another person, or it was not used in his books. He list all the contributors he used in the back of his books, no matter the nationality.

Greg W.

wristwatchb and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Back in the day I read Ryan's stuff and enjoyed it a lot. Over the last 3 years though I've been reading a lot of Civil War. Might have something to do with my youngest going to Gettysburg College.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good school, good son!!! :happy096:

12. RetLEO-07

The history bug bit him harder than my oldest. The oldest took Poli-sci at Rutgers and then commissioned in the Army.

wristwatchb and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

14. RetLEO-07

The "Spenser"&"Jesse Stone" novels by Robert B Parker. The guys that took over are okay but I like the originals the best.

15. 90quattrcoupe

This is one of the things about publishing companies. Other authors taking over when an author dies. I figure it is the publishing companies milking the author. Leaves a bad taste.

Greg W.

16. RetLEO-07

Hello @Dan156. I read the series every summer. At first all the nautical terminology was a little off putting. But I hung in and really enjoyed the immersion into that era. Mr O'Brian was a very gifted writer.

17. RetLEO-07

I've got a hardcover edition of all the novels and short stories from B&N. Cost me ten bucks back in the day

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

I almost forgot. Alan Furst's novels of the spy game in Europe just prior to and during WWII.

19. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

My Master Mason Bible (only when you become a Freemason)
    Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter
    Alex Cross series by James Patterson
    Jason Bourne novel series
    Jesse Stone series by Robert B Parker click here
    Spenser series by Robert B Parker click here
    Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly click here
    John Hart series by Mario Reading click here
    Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais click here
    Full complete edition of Sherlock Holmes
    Templar series by Paul Christopher click here
    Star Wars series and still bloody going more coming this will never end click here
    Robyn Young click here

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    RetLEO-07 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. cegadede

cegadede Member

I also encourage everyone to read the Bible from cover to cover. That's how I ended up not believing in a God.

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk