Review of the Micro Touch One (Weishi)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought the Micro Touch One a few years ago but he never really got into shaving with it. I asked him if I could borrow it because I wanted to see how well or bad it shaves. After a thorough cleaning I loaded a Personna Red blade into it. The first thing I noticed was that the blade was aligned damn near perfectly when I closed the doors. I was not expecting that. Normally I have to make tiny adjustments to get the blade aligned properly in my razors. The razor is small and very easy to maneuver. As for the shave, I would say it shaves pretty well. It's a mild razor with a small blade gap. I did my usual 2 pass shave, first pass with the grain and the second pass across the grain. After my shave there was still a few spots that I had to go back and hit again. Because this razor is so mild, that wasn't a problem. Even after touch ups, the shave was still not as close as what I normally get with my Razorock Mission or Merkur 33c. This razor is even more mild than my Merkur 33c, which I consider to be mild. I'm sure the razor will become more efficient with future shaves as I learn it better. Overall I had an enjoyable shave. I plan on shaving with it 2 more times, and after that I will decide if I want to buy it off my friend.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have a weishi and really like it. It was my first de razor and I don't regret buying it. You can get a new one for $12-$15.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a decent entry level mild DE. If you enjoy the shave look into a Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed. It's the inspiration, but in nickle plated brass.
    Flair Tip & MTO a.gif Flare Tip & MTO b.gif
    Should you be seeking a more or less aggressive razor in the same form factor Gillette also made the Red Tip & Blue Tip.
    3 amigos.gif

4. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I have one but haven't touched it in a year. Maybe time to break it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike, RyX, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

If it's good enough for the Pawn Stars.... ;)

Nice review. One of these days, I'll pick one up for travel purposes.

6. Christopher Powell

It would actually be a perfect travel razor.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice review. I use mine on occasion. Shaves well; very similar to a super speed, as stated above.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats Rich! I didn't realize you had been discharged already. I guess they made you return the Psycho razor. :rofl:

Carbide Mike and richgem like this.
  9. richgem

Looks like I fooled them! :prrr:

Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It'll be fun crossing state lines again! :taunt002:

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. richgem

I can't wait! :char039:

Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The Micro Touch was my first DE. I knew nothing about how to use one and proceeded to gobble some flesh. Too much pressure, wrong angle, you name it.

I did become proficiently with it. I was introduced to adjustable Gillettes by way of family heirloom Black Beauty and I've not touched it since. I will one day, when I can pass up one of the several adjustables hanging by my head.

13. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

I actually have an old weishi that I still go back semi reularly. Nice mild shaver. No need for a$200 all stainless razor imho.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Have a '71 SA-109 R R date code. Just finished a blade Focus. Gonna be using Voskhods when I start it in my rotation.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have the VDH version and it was the first DE I ever bought. That razor started me down a new path that I'm continuing on today. New and vintage DEs, SEs, injectors and SRs! I will admit that the razor does not exude quality, but I did get decent shaves out of it.... Decent enough shaves that without the VDH, I would probably not be on this forum today!

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

Carbide Mike and Jim99 like this.
  17. Christopher Powell

I just had my second shave with the Micro Touch One and this one wasn't as comfortable as my first shave. There is a slight tingle when I applied moisturizer post shave, which did not happen after the first shave. I usually go 3 and out with blades, but I am going to chuck the Personna Red I have in there now after 2. I am going to try my all time favorite blade in this razor next....the almighty Astra Superior Stainless !!!

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  18. Christopher Powell

On second thought, I don't think this irritation is caused by the razor or blade. For the past few days I have been bathing with Williams Mug soap. I figured I would bathe with it just to get some use from it. Every shaving soap based in tallow I have ever tried has turned my face into a red mess, and the same thing is happening now. Even though I am no longer shaving with tallow based soaps, I believe the tallow in Williams Mug is causing this irritation.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.