My Journey Begins... Sorta

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dustmite, Jan 9, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I took my first baby step towards straights today. I received an email from a popular online vendor stating orders over $35 come with a mystery package worth $25. I couldn't resist, so I ordered an Illinois 827 strop! My birthday is next month, and I got clearance from my better half to get a straight razor. I'm going to get a Whipped Dog sight unseen, unless something better pops up between now and then.

Jim99, TheFiveO, Billyfergie and 10 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Awsome! Break out the cookies!!

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Great, in the meantime start shaving with your non dominant hand so you will be slightly ahead of the curve.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck with that.

5. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Awesome!! Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the door step of the Dark Side! :) I'm probably one of the newest noob SR shavers so until I get it down better I hold the door to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dustmite

I started that about a month ago when I decided I was finally ready for a straight!

7. dustmite

I like peanut butter... :D

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I started about 5 months ago, and never looked back. Just kept plugging away. Definitely more fun than other types of shaving. The only way you could get more Old School with your shaving is to use flint or a sharpened clam shell.

9. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Great Choice, they really do have some fantastic sight unseen razors. Enjoy!

10. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I ordered my sight unseen the other day. He's quick to get back to you. I'm like Ralphie with the mail right now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:bounce017::signs107: Welcome to the dark side!

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm envious. To quote my dad. "Pay attention and keep both hands on the wheel".

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I too am new to Straights. Going on month 4. To be honest the first two weeks were terrifying. I came to realize there is nothing to fear. Clear mind and a steady deliberate hand. You will do great.

14. dustmite

To be honest, I don't fear cutting myself. I've been hurt enough in life to know pain is temporary, and I will heal. ;) My biggest fear concerning straight shaving is the damage I might do to the equipment. I don't know if I'd forgive myself if I ruined a hundred year old razor...

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Don''t worry about it. @gssixgun is here to fix your razor(s) and @Drygulch is here to repair your strops:)

Pilotcld, Redfisher, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I did about six straight shaves over the holidays. It was pretty scary. I did my upper face pretty well but not my neck. I shaved about half of my neck quite uncomfortably in one of those shaves. It definitely gives you a close, close shave. I'm not giving up as I won a straight in the TSD raffle. I've sent it off to get some touch-up on the stones. The big drawback is the maintenance and time factor with stropping, etc. I'll try it again soon. I'd like to learn the skill and use it off and on as time allows. I don't see straight shaving replacing my injectors at the moment!

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I don't look at this as a drawback at all, just part of the whole experience. Stropping only adds a couple minutes at most to your routine. Add in a few minutes a month or so to touch up on a hone, will keep you shaving for a long time. Please don't take my comments wrong , it's all relative, this is just my perspective YMMV:). FYI, I haven't picked up my beloved injectors since going straight.

TheFiveO, DaltonGang, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:signs011:My Injectors are Gathering Dust..I Can Hardly Bring Myself to Put a Factory Blade on My Face these Days..:shocked003:

Billy..:chores016:

TheFiveO, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Your turn is coming Jim.. I'm pretty sure someone here would love to hook you up right!

twhite, Jayaruh, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm sure there is. As much as I admire the straight razor shavers, I am afraid that it is beyond my skill set. Too much maintenance for me. Again, I admire you guys who keep this skill alive.