The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Probably had something to do with my shaving angle.

Edit: ...And Wilkinson Sword is very much a middle of the road blade, compared to the three you listed using, which I would consider top shelf shaving. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    jmudrick likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok shave 2 using 1 blade tonight. Same blade Super Iridium. Rotated to fresh side to keep as much the same.

First impression on the shave. This felt more like a DE razor tonight. I can feel the blade is not as stiff. The feeling on my face was not as nice as day 1 with 2 blades.

When taking the second blade out before the shave tonight. I noticed there was some hair in between the blades. This does debunk my thought that the second blade acted only as a stiffening shim.

For my next shave, I will go back to 2 blades. Only I will modify the top blade so it is not close to cutting. Only there as to stiffen the blade.

The shave with the single blade was nearly as good as shave 1. 3 pass and a final cleanup on my neck. BBS all over. Only tonight my Aluminum gave me some sting.

I almost never get this kind of feedback from my SE and injectors.

Anyhow will report back Monday night with shave 3. I have a hunch that it will be a better shave. My face and technique likes stiff blades. My recent foray into straights are proving this out.

Please be safe tonight and this weekend.
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shave 3 on Shake Sharp.
    [​IMG]

Sorry I got sidetracked with my straights last week.

Tonight I modified one of my DE blades. I took it to some 320 paper and sanded the edge away. I removed only enough to eliminate the bevel.

So I installed my good SI blade and installed the dummy.

I proceeded with my 3 pass shave. I could tell it was going to be a VERY nice shave. The blade is nice and stiff. No DE chatter at all. Just the sweet loud noise of a razor doing its job.

My Aluminum was silent tonight.

I find this razor to be my favorite DE by a large margin. It acts so much like a SE. Hence the reason for liking it so much.

As for adding the second blade. I find that there is virtually no difference from 2 sharp blades and 1 sharp and a dummy.

I find both of these to be superior to using only a single blade.

I would like to thank @jmudrick for loaning me this wonderful and beautiful razor.

Tom

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That is about what i figured the result would be.

Before you send it back, you really should give it a try with a carbon blade. It's like having a fresh feather blade loaded...for weeks.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I tried the best Blue Blade I could find this morning, I couldn't get a very good shave from it. Two stacked Thins might be interesting but I don't have clean ones. Switched after one pass on my head to the stacked Permasharps for the usual crazy close finish.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Did you shake to sharpen? Carbon blades to me are a bit rough on the first outing. One reason I always use them in a shake sharp first, regardless of which razor I actually want to use them in beyond that.

macaronus, gorgo2 and twhite like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I did give it a few shakes. It wasn't bad mind you just not nearly as sharp and smooth as the twin Permasharps. For me a small difference in performance is magnified on my head shave. I'll give the Blue a few more shakes and another shot tomorrow.

twhite likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My technique, and mind you, this is just my preference; I to give the razor several shakes, then a shake each time the blade is rinsed. Regardless of whether the blade is honed or not, the stubble and shave cream ejection is novelty enough.

macaronus and twhite like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gave Blue dog another shot with similar results, just not as smooth as the stabilized Permasharp nor as capable with coarse head stubble. I'll note that Clog-Pruf/Gem combo I used for my beard wasn't as capable either.

Ryan I know your preference for the v2, do you like the carbon on both versions? I've not tried a Blue in the v2.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer the carbon in the V2.

jmudrick likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Will give the V2 a try :) . I managed to shim the V2 so that will be first order.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  12. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Can't wait. I got one enroute.

macaronus likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Shake Sharp v2 with a shimmed Permasharp. Crazy close shave. I don't think quite as easy going as the stabilized v1 but baby dolphin butt smooth results. The shim is not secured by the short base plate posts so maybe not as advantageous as the stabilized v1 arrangement.

[​IMG]

twhite likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I just gave the Wilkinson Sword blade another try in the the V1 shake sharp. Nice smooth shave. Quite a difference from the first outing.

macaronus and jmudrick like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Shake Sharp v2 with a honed Blue did a passable job with the beard but I think I'm going to call that experiment done and go back to modern stainless. Cut pretty close on the beard but a non starter when the going got tough on me head where the C1 cut right through.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's a modern Wilkinson?

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not a fan of Gillette's blue blades here either. The Teflon coated super blue blades are far superior.

Yeah. A Wally World Wilk, from back when Walmart carried them. A mediocre, yet passable blade, in my opinion.

jmudrick likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Perfect shave with the stacked Permasharps. I have better luck with the two blades vs one with a shim (which tends to float). The glue on the Permasharp blades may help a bit.

[​IMG]

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shake Sharp
    [​IMG]
    I had my last shave tonight with the Shake Sharp. Graciously on loan from @jmudrick. I had 4 full days to deal with. Using it with a Super Iridium blade and s blunted support blade. I have a fantastic BBS ZERO irritation shave.

I am blown away by this razor. DE blades for me have been marginal. This setup performs as good as any of my SE and injectors.

Thanks again Jeff.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

macaronus, PLANofMAN and jmudrick like this.
  20. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Great first shave with my newly acquired Shake Sharp.

Used a NOS Thin Blade. Also my first time using a vintage blade.

[​IMG]