Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've been thinking about getting my first pipe with an over $20 price tag. I've been looking at morta. What does it most smoke like? I've been smoking a lot of cob pipes along with my clay pipe and every now and then a briar pipe. I've never smoked Morta or Meershaum.

2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I would say clay from your experience so far. only because it doesn't ghost and I don't detect any "wood" or pipe taste, even with first bowl. It's like a meerschaum as well and was told to treat it like one as well, wipe out bowl, no cake etc.
    You get the full flavor of the baccy. Unlike clay it won't get warm/hot to touch with normal cadence. Now like anything if you puff like a freight train it will get warm. But with Morta the wood it's literally THOUSANDS of years old. The darker the Morta the older it is. Mine smokes everything easy and to ash no matter what I put in it. Now I haven't tried Mixture #79 in it, that stuff will ghost the jar, cabinet, room you store it in :happy097:.

3. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Last pipe for a while, time for errands Comoy 337 Prince with Elizabethan Mixture. It's a prince pipe day. Not sure if the other 3 will make an appearance at least one will.
    [​IMG]

Lo'Gosh, Bama Samurai, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  4. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Only fitting to have some Prince Albert in my Rossi Prince..
    [​IMG]

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

[​IMG]
    Loaded my pouch with DE Gatsby Luxury Flake for later in the Rossi Prince. A bit of traveling around town with Stanley #139 loaded with first bowl from my second tin of H&H Viprati. I had forgotten the ketchup tin note when first opened.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Attached Files:

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I really like the Morta also! On a down note, I heard someone at The Briary say there may not be any more new Morta wood pipes, given what it takes to get the wood, and the relatively few places you can get it. Hope that's not true. Skip wasn't there at the time, so I didn't get to ask him. A Morta is on my list, which seems to always be growing!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Today's bag...

[​IMG]

After the work was done...

[​IMG]

Late night conspiracy theory radio pipe, will add the @RyX perique sample to 656 in a 1:4, and shoot for fruitcakes.

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, RyX, Bobcat and 2 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm curious to hear your impression!

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 01122017.gif
    Starting what has become a pile up of a day with DE Gatsby Luxury Flake in Medico Apollo brylon.
    Earlier in the week, everyone put me off until "later". Seems three different jobsites now need my presence. Instead I'll go to the DMV to renew my drivers license. Life like an astronaut; hours and days of boredom spiced by moments of furious activity. C'est la vie.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Lo'Gosh, BamaT, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

11. Bama Samurai

Fig Newton with walnut

BamaT and RyX like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

[​IMG]

(listen to the radio)

BamaT, AGHisBBS, Bobcat and 2 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting. I'm going to revisit that blend with your description in mind. I hope you like both fig Newtons & walnuts.

Erik Redd likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

I am a weirdo, I like all food that I am not allergic to, and liked it ok. The thought of going full Crowley makes me shudder. I need to try it again as first bowl of the day and see if I get that fruitcake essence if I haven't been smoking straight VA all day.

BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Erik Redd likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Is the Medico a 6mm paper filter? I have a brylon Yelo Bole with a detachable stinger somewhere. Often it seemed a filter would be a better (drier) brylon option, especially if the tobacco is sauced in any significant way.

Erik Redd likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

That may have been from a previous purchase of Perique. It was very plumy. I got some, ran out. Went to the shop and they were out, too. Later I picked up more. That is the batch you, Louis @dustmite , and I are now in possession of.

I think you are correct. I removed the used filter when I first got it. Didn't look hard at the size, and tossed it. The $2.49 knock-around cobs may take the same size but I use them unfiltered as well.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Yes, it's the 6mm paper then. Grabow, Medico, cobs and the like use that one. It's the "American" style pipe filter. It's my understanding that most smokers in the EU use a filter. Whereas here, most people tend to prefer unfiltered pipes of all construction.

RyX and Erik Redd like this.
  19. Erik Redd

Acrylic. One of the reasons I prefer Italian pipes, they generally seem to have acrylic stems, even the old ones.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  20. Erik Redd

IMG_1041.JPG

After work, a flake of OGS in an Ascorti. The tervis tumbler with the ugly lining was included in the IPSD gift box I got with an order from P&C last year. It's not too far off, February 20.