Stirling Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bscarpenter, Jul 27, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I am not an aficionado of bay rum. This is because I bought a big bottle of Penaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum and really like it. So that is what I use as my bay rum aftershave. When placing an order with Stirling Soap Co., I saw their bay rum soap and decided that combined with the Clubman VI Bay Rum would make for a well.... very rummy morning. So today I opened the soap. I would say that all of their soaps probably have the same formula with different scents, menthol, etc. The soap makes a lather that is as good or better than any that I've tried so far including the costly soap that I have from A0S. It goes on thick, it is slick and makes easy work of getting a good foam.

On to the scent... This soap has a nice spicy smell. I can definitely detect cinnamon, slight clove and a sweet smell. To compare to the Clubman VIBR scent, it is less clovey and much more sweet. I wasn't sure I would be a fan of the sweet smell, but after a great shave (from this fine soap formula) and a nice finish with the Clubman VIBR, I give this a thumbs up. I unless something new comes along, when it's bay rum day, this will be the soap of choice.

Zykris, Yehuda D, RetLEO-07 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Stirling bay rum soap has a wonderful scent. I have a puck in my inventory.

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I too have the Stirling Bay Rum, and enjoy it often. I love the bay rum scent and have two other soaps (Captain's Choice and Barrister & Mann) as well in bay rum. I rotate them all frequently. If you like bay rum - you must have (I believe it is in the wet shaving regulation) several soaps in that scent. They are all bit different but all are so nice.

Zykris, Yehuda D, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am a fan of Stirling in general, but their bay rum is fantastic. I like barrister and mann as well as dr. Jon's Anne bonny bay rum also. They are the best 3 I have ever tried.

5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I have Stirling Bay Rum too and I love it and is not too clovey or too sweet for me :happy088:

Zykris, Yehuda D, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

While I don't have Stirling's bay rum soap, I do have their after shave balm and it's excellent.

7. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I was not a fan of it... I absolutely love stirling products but just couldn't make myself shave with a bay rum sample I picked up in a trade.... it literally made my stomach turn.... mind you this was my very first bay rum experience. If y'all say stirling is a mild bay rum then bay rum may not be for me....: idk. I did just get some black ship Blackbeard which is a bay rum and lime that I really do like. Do y'all think I would like or hate clubman bay rum splash?

Yehuda D and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have three bay rum soaps - Stirling, Barrister & Mann, and Captain's Choice. Of those three I think Stirling is the mildest. Captain's Choice the strongest. The Bay Rum scent is not for everyone - not sure any one scent is for everyone. But Bay Rum can be very strong to some noses. Personally I think its the best of all the "standard" scents. I have not tried any of the after shaves or balms in the bay rum scent.

Yehuda D, Jim99 and Mike Brown like this.
  9. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

Stirling Bay Rum is laid out for todays shave and of course it will be followed by Virgin Island Bay Rum!!!! Very Rummy!

Zykris, Yehuda D, Col C and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Haven't yet tried Bay Rum soap, but I suppose I will someday-see what this forum does to me???

Zykris, Yehuda D and Jim99 like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am in your camp. It is one of only a few Stirling soaps I can't do. It is just TOO much.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The last 6 shaves have all been with Stirling Barbershop - one of my recent purchases and new favorites. However - all this Bay Rum talk has caused some withdrawal symptoms. So tomorrow afternoon's shave, getting ready for the weekly Friday date night, will be Stirling Bay Rum with a follow up of Col Conk Bay Rum cologne.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  13. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Im going to be in the shaveden soap pass around here in a few weeks. There are several bay rums in the box. After that i will know the verdict on bay rum. I did pick up a Beaver Woodright black beard in a trade and didnt mind it to much. It was okay. Its bay rum with a lime twist.

We shall see.

Zykris, Yehuda D and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Think about Ogallala's lineup of Bay Rum. For whatever the reason, I find their scents to be fantastic.

Zykris, Yehuda D and dustmite like this.
  15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011: I enjoy Bay Rum as a general rule, but my wife absolutely hated it until I got a sample size of Ogallala Cedar & Sage. Their stuff smells great, and treats my skin right. I'd like to try the Peppercorn & Lime before I commit to a full size, though.

Zykris, Yehuda D and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Same here. Picked up in a trade and sent away in a trade almost immediately.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

VIBR, the Veg for people who do not wish to smell like a polecat!
    My shield is up, you may now commence throwing rocks :)

Primotenore and Yehuda D like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That may be true. but this baby is dedicated to Stirlin' (rock fired)

19. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have yet to try the Stirling Bay Rum but I'm sure I will soon.

Zykris likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've had two different types of Bay Rum. Taconic Shave Soap and Stirling. Out of those two, I like Stirling's bay rum.