February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fatboy February!! Use your Fatboy if you have one or don’t! Yep, we’re that easy.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is Peanut Butter! Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Criticize Russian blades, especially Voskhod, at your own peril. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.
    7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.
    8. You might consider taking it easy on Feathers as well. The Yakuza boys are pretty protective as well, though their leader has been converted by the Russians it seems. Score one for the Motherland!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to Fatboy February!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm in! I am going to focus on soaps and straights this month. I have lots of soap samples I want to try and will work through them. I will also be focusing on my ATG passes with the straights.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatip February would be cool, right?

Douglas Carey, RyX, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

ATG with straights - you're on my list to keep a close eye on!

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That works as well!

6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Alas, I haven't a Fatboy to focus on (unless I focus on myself, but we are focusing on shaves, not shavees)((I have tried to buy a few but always get outbid)), and the only razor I have that starts with an F is my Feather AS. Considering I am just coming off of a month of shavettes, I want a change of direction. So I will be focusing on Single Edge razors. I have some GEMS and a Schick that need some love, being as one GEM arrived during the shavette focus and two more will arrive tomorrow (though one is being PIF'd).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like a plan!

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm chafing under the restrictions so I will focus on being random expect I'll be using straights, shavettes and to join in the fun my adjustable, Futur and Rocnel.

After some freedom I may return to my brush focus.

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

For most of January, I used a vintage PAL carbon blade in a Gillette Black Beauty. I was seeing how long I could make it last using a vintage bladesaver hone. As of month end, it had 27 shaves on it and was still going strong.

I plan to see if I can stretch the carbon blade through February as well.

I used the PAL blade in a Gillette Black Beauty for most of last month; in keeping with the suggested new Focus, I will use it in my Fatboy this month. It will be interesting to see if the change in razors has any obvious effect on blade performance.

For the rest, after spending a month trying and sorting brushes, I will use my new rotation of approved contenders. For soaps, I have 4 samples to try still and beyond that will grab at whimsy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

In an effort to use and enjoy all the items in my shave den, I will be on a Razor, Brush and Soap A Week. I will finish out this week with the Timeless OC, WDC-6 and Rum Runner before moving on. When using the Mongoose and Feather Super Pro, I will stay with it for 2 weeks since I get 14 daily shaves out of each blade. I plan on sticking with this focus for several months.

11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm in by default. I only use my Fat Boy, a generous gift. My only other razor for general use sits on the counter these days.

Sent via mobile - Chris

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Since I just got the Futur, will be focusing on this razor. I don't plan to take it to the gym with me as it is rather large, but I will use it while at home. I plan to work my way up to 6 just to see what happens.

13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Feather February and Gillette NEW Short Comb in the shortest month of the year. I used Feathers exclusively in January and want to keep exploring and finding the average life of these sharp blades. January averaged out to 6 shaves per blade.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I will be using my new to be Fatboy for the whole month. And hopefully somewhere in the middle I will be introducing a new fat boy, or at least a chubby one :).

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

For me, pretty much a continuation of January: Focus on creams, particularly KMF. Also, try out a couple of more new-to-me razors from a recent PIF.

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I plan to focus on razor, brush and soap families in February and possibly March. Starting off with Wolfman Razors, Paladin Brushes, and MDC Soaps. Hoping to also include Timeless, Blackland, and Gillette Razors; Varlet, Elite Razor, Doug Korn brushes; Nuavia, Fine, and Savionnere Du Moulin shave soaps.

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

:happy088:

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy088: Wishing you guys well. Will this one be your first?

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Excited for you.

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I plan to continue my focus on shavettes, mixing in a random safety razor every third or fourth shave just for variety. I want to revisit 1/2 DE blades in the Irving Barber and see if my initial impressions were accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.