Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've seen about 10 more on B&B, which most likely includes the 3 the author probably saw. Still, super rare.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification,Ryan!

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The only explanations I've ever heard for their existence (and I believe it was speculation), is that post WWII, the American Gillette branch made machines for the British branch to resume production of TTO razors. Before the machines were sent to Britain, they were tested here, resulting in the few razors found.

The other story I've heard is that again, post WWII, the British branch of Gillette sent razor parts to the U.S. for testing before resuming production.

Another explanation might be that the U.S. branch briefly toyed with the idea of making British style razors, before scrapping the idea.

Whichever story has a grain of truth to it, the end result is the same. A very limited number were made and/or survive to the present time.

brit, Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

my US-Rocket is made in early 1950
    Alan, congratulation to your great score! :signs021:

PLANofMAN, brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Thank you Achim!

6. Morman Bridge

I can tell by the style of the case on this one, it was late 1940's or early 1950's as well, Achim.

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

yes, this case was used since 1948/49

brit, Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well that rules out the first two theories. :)

9. brit

brit in a box

i have a #20 small head rocket that i love using.it is stamped with a k and a1 under the head.1965 maybe?$20 from an antique shop in mint shape.also scored an unused canadian rocket(430030)or aristocrat jr as they are called.tried it sunday.best shave i ve had to date.

Demidog and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

just scored a #1 rocket,mint shape on ebay.identical to the canadian arist jr but with the pat pending triangular type base plate. i think 10 razors is enough.....,well not.just scored a #7 rocket hd from the west coast.looks in great shape.so i will have a #20 flair tip, #5 arist jr, #1 rocket and #7 rocket hd. best of the brits.......

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've got two rockets now: an Aristocrat and a gold rocket.
    IMG_2618.JPG

Rocket_01.JPG

Demidog, brit, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  12. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I like the picture of the bucket full of razors.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    We all like the picture of the bucket full of razors. :) That's a once in a lifetime find.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011:

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

#1 rocket just showed up...awesome no1.jpg

Taipan, Douglas Carey and Munichjoe like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks to be in outstanding condition. :happy096:

brit likes this.
  17. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

I know that all Rockets are smooth customers, and that the HD 500 is the most aggressive, while still being silky smooth. But, does anyone have thoughts about the regular rocket /parat vs flare tip vs HD, in terms of aggressiveness?
    I know that they are less aggressive than the HD, but which one do you think is the milder one?
    I like em all, but I haven't had my parat out in a while. I've been using a pre war triangle '32 Canadian tech for the past few months.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

thank you ,it appears unused.saturday s shave,yeeha

19. brit

brit in a box

i have a small head #20 flair tip rocket that feels similar to my 67 black handled super speed,but i am way limited compared to others with more experience,gary

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The flare tip rocket will be the mildest, being the last produced. The LD (light duty) would be next, being the aluminum model of the HD, followed by the regular rocket, and then the HD. The HD isn't even that much more aggressive than the regular rocket, but it feels that way because of it's weight. The No. 58 is the gussied up version of the rocket HD, with fancy knurling, and I would put it about half way between a regular American super speed and an American red tip super speed. Edit: It is slightly heavier than an HD.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    brit, Munichjoe and Douglas Carey like this.