I just received my first DE safety razor. :)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by chan4070, Feb 15, 2017.

1. chan4070

chan4070 Member

For the last month I've been on the fence about purchasing a safety razor and after viewing a number of Nick Shaves videos on Youtube, I decided to pull the trigger and I purchased an Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl via Amazon. I also purchased the razor sampler pack but I used the supplied Derby Extra blades that came with it. I received the set today and wow, I was surprised at the close shave I received. I've been shaving for close to 30 years and this is the closest shave I ever think I've received. I am a convert. I can't wait until my technique gets a bit more refined and I can use some sharper blades. I am so hooked.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Excellent. The DE89 is a fine razor.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

welcome to the club.

So what cream or soap did you shave with?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. chan4070

chan4070 Member

Houdini, I am using the Sir Hare Classic Barber scent soap.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Congrats. It only gets better. Next thing you know you'll have a dozen different soaps, brushes, razors, the whole ball of wax.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion for you......No matter how you feel, no matter what you think you know about Wet Shaving, Do not give up and quit using your new DE Razor , give it a full 30 days. Also remember there is No Such Thing as a "Stupid Question" the only Stupid Question is the question that is Not Asked. Remember there are many members here on this forum that know Wet Shaving Backwards, Forwards. Inside out. If I don't know the answer to your questions There is some body on this forum that does know or can help you get the correct answer. Also Welcome Aboard. :signs046: Also remember this " I Can't means I Won't! " :angry017:

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Since you're new, we'll cut some slack, but we have rules 'round here - No pics, Didn't happen. ;)
    Enjoy your new toys!

9. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Congrats! Welcome to the addicting world of wet shaving!

The DE89 was my first DE razor as well and it was a terrific performer for newcomers and vets alike. I used mine for a solid year before delving into the vintage world. I still break my 89 out every now and again just for some nostalgia.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Excellent razor. It will give you a great shave. Enjoy.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome. I highly encourage you to do the 30 day rule It was the best advice I received when I started 2 1/2 years ago.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got that razor myself. When you start auditioning blades in it, the fun really starts. If you have some Russian steel(Voskhod, Gillette 7 o'clock Green, Gillette Silver Blue) you'll be surprised how much closer your shave will get. Have a great time exploring this new world!

Carbide Mike, Smitbar and RyX like this.
  13. chan4070

chan4070 Member

I got really nervous when I first started but when I was finished and my wife rubbed my face she gave me such a huge smile. I don't think I'll quit, I just want to work on my technique before I get to one of the stupid sharp blades.

14. RetLEO-07

As someone above said, they're all stupid sharp. Take your time,talk to the members here and you'll be shaving like a pro. I know it's been suggested already, but I'll reinterate, check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. There is a ton of good info there. Just this week there was a great discussion of lathering, with some great video. Maybe I'll see ya there.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I bought one for my son for Christmas; he really likes it. Congrats!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations, @chan4070, that is a fine razor. The Derby's don't get much love, but I have always gotten a fine shave from them. Welcome to the best shaves of your life.
    zthumbs.jpg

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 89 is a fine shaver indeed. It could be the first and last shaver you may ever buy.

Most likely, like a great majority of us here; you will buy another, and another, and another.

Welcome to our family, and our hobby!

18. RetLEO-07

...And our Disorders, God bless 'em

19. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

That's the same razor I bought my son when he started into wet shaving. Great choice.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Smitbar

Smitbar New Member

Exactly my experience with my Muhle R89, which I understand is a very similar razor, enjoy :)

Carbide Mike likes this.