Why do YOU use the aftershave you use?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Fly2High, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

OK, we all know aftershave is to act as astringent and to clean pores of bacteria. Some may also apply it to soother the skin or help in healing.

I assume there are many to nearly all aftershaves that fulfill these basic requirements.

That said, Do you have a single aftershave that you always use or do you have several?

Why do you use the one/several?

Do you just pick the cheapest or is it a status thing?

O you have problem skin and selected the one that helps you the best? Do you find only one to work well or do you have several brands that help[ you?

Is the scent the primary motivator? If it is, for how long after applied can you still smell it?

do you supplement with a cologne?

Any other reason you chose the one/s you use are appreciated.

thanks

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I don't typically wear cologne, so I wear a little aftershave for a light scent. Usually just enough so that you have to be close to me to smell it, so normally only my wife and kids really know I am wearing it. I usually detect the scent for several hours after I apply it.

I have several I wear, more than I should really admit. My favorites offer have a little glycerin or similar to help provide some moisture as well.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Because I like it.

4. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

When I was a little boy, and that was a long, long time ago; Gaetano the italian barber always gave me a bazooka bubblegum for holding still. I was getting a haircut in my early teens and he suddenly applied hot shaving cream to my sideburns, around my ears and nape of neck. I felt the straight razor clean up new whiskers and fine hair in unwanted places soon to replace hair in wanted. Then he applied aftershave, leaned over and said ' no more bubblegum for you SIR ( replacing young man.) I walked out
    vaguely conscious of a right of passage somewhere between my first kiss, drivers license and getting drunk for the first time on a bottle of gin I cut with water to refill and hide my sin. I walked around for 30 minutes wondering how many smelled the aftershave and took me for a peer.

5. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Postscript: real men use scent. The olfactory system is a sense sensible people of refinement use to measure each other, what is cooking and a change in the weather. I buy what I like with the only consideration not to overwhelm the scent of a woman. Did I mention I tango?

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

The avatar gave that suggestion to tango :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Morticia inspired that first mysterious striring in my loins. An argentine nieghbor and a stack of old Carlos Gardel records later and Valentino had nothing on me.

Carbide Mike, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I many different a/s in my rotation. I use them because I like the burn!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I like Old Spice because my dad used it and it reminds me of being a kid again.

I like Lather & Wood aftershave balm due to mainly the smell. I love the outdoors and this seems more natural to me than the Caffeine balm I use from time to time that smells like double mint gum.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Slow Joe and Carbide Mike like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use perfume/cologne as a scent and AS for skin care, after shave care. My preferred aftershaves are Lucky Tiger and Speick for their effect on my skin and that the will not interfere with the scent I choose for the day.

Bama Samurai and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

For decades of shaving with a cart I never owned an aftershave. Since learning to use a shavette, a straight razor, enjoying many vintage Gillette DE's and Schick injectors I've allowed my peers to influence me.
    Canoe aftershave I save for when a certain Lady friend visits. It was a gift from her. The only AS for which I also have a matching EDT.
    Pinaud products; Lilac Vegetol, Clubman, & Special Reserve are great for an alcohol splash and a long lasting scent. Osage Rub for a chilling menthol. Large bottles are inexpensive and available locally. Hoping to entice a vendor to stock Citrus Musk & Lime Sec.
    Vintage Avon AS provides some classic smell alike scents from days gone by at flea market prices; Wild Country, Leather, Oland, Bravo.
    Old Spice, both vintage Shulton and new P&G are classics. I'm watching for the vintage lime at a good price.
    Murray & Lanman's Florida Water is a historic product.
    Recently purchased Proraso Refresh Lotion - it's a light scent & leaves a great moisturizing face feel.
    I'm fortunate to suffer from no allergies or reactions from the many I enjoy. I've tried to use an AS that compliments the scent of the soap I used that shave.

Carbide Mike, AGHisBBS and Norcalnewb like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I use an aftershave because my wife likes it. I don't do colognes because they last too long. It is just a nice way to end a shave.

13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Because I like it. Because all the ladies at work like it!

Bird Lives and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Like others, AS is all I use. Until I got into questo cosa nostra all I used was Aramis. Now I've got several. I like 'em all.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I thought the man in the avatar looked familiar-Jack Astin!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...or NO stink.

I regularly use Fine's aftershave tonic, Snake Bite, as it is scent-less yet packs a refreshing wallop of alcohol and menthol ("chill & burn").

The post-shave balms I tend to gravitate towards usually match the scent of the shave soap (Route 66, Soap Commander, Crowne & Crane) and some are mentholated.

jeraldgordon, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I tend to pinaud clubman or old spice in the morning, as it just makes me feel manly. In the afternoon when I actually shave, I wear something my fiancee likes. It's a nice compromise, because she doesn't care for Pinaud or the Spice's "Old man smell."

jeraldgordon, brit and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

First and foremost reason is I like the alcohol burn. That said, on occasion especially in Winter, I'll use a post shave balm. I rotate through Pinaud Clubman, VIBR, Special Reserve (not much burn though), Ogallala Bay Rum, Mennen Skin Bracer (used that every day for over 35 years), Barbasol Brisk, Proraso Green splash, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Aqua Velva Musk.

EnglishChannel, brit and Carbide Mike like this.