open comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Feb 16, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello shavers,i have 2 open comb razors; 1920s old type (promotional/courtesy from a nash dealership in saskatchewan) and a new merkur 1904/6 open comb.i have a variety of smooth sharp blades(gsb,astra sp,voskhods,astra ss,gillette platinums and wilkinsons) and they all work very well in all my other closed comb razors.however in the open combs i always get a pulling tuggy shave.fast slow adjusting angles etc,. any suggestions would be helpful,thanks gary.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally I have not noticed they would tug more than other razors. Old Type and Merkur OC got very similar type of head (with OT having more blade exposure). I guess they might place the blade at a similar angle.

Open combs is just another way to cut the slots for stubble to exit and the fact both are open combs definitely is not a reason for them tugging. If they tug more, then it is because of the angle of the blade.

RyX and brit like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe the head profile is not for you? Or you should try varying the angle (ride the cap)? Open or closed comb alone doesn't really say much about aggression and comfort.

RyX and brit like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup and Yup

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

thank you guys,,it could easily just be my lack of experience with them,more practice.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you haven't read about it yet, check in my signature below.
    Click on Ride the Cap.

Herm2502, brit and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i read ,i liked,i learned.thank you again,gary

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It takes a little practice. Angle is the most important thing to master. You'll find it!

McGrande, RetLEO-07 and Herm2502 like this.
  10. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I have found that I have to adjust the angle anytime I get a new razor. Just take short strokes and you'll be able to find the right angle faster.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Cappity, cap, cap, cap. That's right, ride the cap.

HERM

RyX likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Keep in mind the Gillette Old Type is similar to the Merkur 1904 in rough appearance only. They shave nothing alike. The OT is much more aggressive. The 1904 is so mild I can barely get a shave out of it.

HERM

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, I piffed my Merkur 1904. The Gillette OT was made for a thicker blade than modern blades. In an earlier thread, I had shaved with the OT and two blades that were made for it. There is a world of difference than modern blades. It was not aggressive at all. One day I will devote a lot of time to that pairing.

RyX likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Amen :happy088:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Personal favorite, Gilette NEW OC (short tooth)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.