Hardware store scent?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by DentonMajik, Feb 19, 2017.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Weird question I know, but has anyone come across a scent that is reminiscent of walking into an old hometown hardware store?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I live in a small rural town with an old fashion hardware store. You know the type - where you still buy nails by the pound. Not sure I would want to have the store's scent in any of my shaving soaps or after shaves. They sell a lot of fertilizer in the store and that is the dominant scent when you walk in.

3. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe throw in an old bookstore scent as well. Crown King tack room sounded kind of similar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hmm...intriguing.

Metal...
    wood...
    leather...
    light machine oil...
    maybe pine tar for a dusty note...
    maybe ozone.

In the right proportions, someone could pull off a passable mix for a soap. I would try it!

Carbide Mike and dustmite like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This does sound like a job for Chiseled Face.

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Didn't he have one called Redneck or something like that? Was supposed to smell like an auto shop?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not sure. Last thing I bought from him was the pine tar soap and haven't checked his site in about a year

8. PickledNorthern

It was an older one, and discontinued now, but like you said: if anyone could do it, it would be him.

Or Gilligan.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I don't have any info on where to find a hardware store scent, but I'm going to follow this thread in the hopes that something pops up! Some of my happiest memories of childhood are centered around the local hardware store.

Carbide Mike and DentonMajik like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with @Col C, there are just some scents, that while I like them and the memories they conjure, I just wouldn't want to slather my face with them.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when I was a child ... we had such a hardware store (ijzerwarenwinkel) in town. The kind where you could buy a single nail or screw. Nowadays it's all blister packs. Actually we had several shops like that, for haberdashery, small electronics (everything from vacuum cleaners to televisions), or wood planks and panels. Small shops, manned by the owners, and where you could buy a single plug or another small part.

RyX, gorgo2, Carbide Mike and 2 others like this.
  12. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

One of my favorite aftershave splashes is PAA Sk8shop. It's supposed to smell like, you guessed it, a skateboard shop. Although I've never been in one, I can smell the nuts, screws, bolts and machine oil of a hardware store in the splash. I'm not sure they're making it anymore, however.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

We have an old school hardware store near my house, but as mentioned above, they sell a lot of fertilizer, and therefore it has that acrid scent. Not something I want to splash on.
    image.jpeg

Carbide Mike and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong - the hardware store in my town is just that - the old style. Everything stacked floor to ceiling, you can, as someone said above, still buy one nail or as many pounds as you want - they are all loose in different bins. Family run with a motto of - "If we don't have it - you don't need it". But it does smell like fertilizer. We have a lot of small farms in the county.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

WD-40 and kerosene? Might make a good AS or splash on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

The hardware store my dad took me to as a kid didn't sell manure. We bought that at the nursery where we bought seeds and plants. What I remember of the hardware store is pretty much what @gorgo2 described, with the addition of coffee. There was always a pot on the counter, complimentary to the customers whether they came in for a bit of advice, or to drop a few hundred dollars on a home improvement project...

gorgo2 and Carbide Mike like this.
  17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Our hardware store has a free self serve popcorn machine. A nice touch - keeps the kids happy anyway (and me).

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The fertilizer I'm referring to is the chemical kind, not the organic. It has a distinctively acrid smell that instantly takes me back to every feed and seed store I've ever walked in.

Carbide Mike and dustmite like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

I don't think they are talking manure, but processed nitrogen and urea, potash. Like Scott's Turfbuilder, only in mammoth quantities.

Col C, Carbide Mike and cmorris357 like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

Yeah, ours too. I want to go work there for my retirement job.

RyX, Col C and Carbide Mike like this.