British Flare Tip Rocket "S" Stamped

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Jan 29, 2016.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My Rocket flare-tip has the "II" marking...inside of base plate has "Patent Pending" instead of British patent number...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...while my HD is unmarked...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Recklesstr likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

and k,at least mine is,with a 1 on the other side.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also have an "S" stamped on a razor, but it's on an Army Tech in a bakelite case. It's on the bottom of the bottom plate. Left side on this picture, if you can see it. I've looked and still haven't found any references on it.

IMG_0968.jpg

Recklesstr and Taipan like this.
  4. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Looking again at my English and USA made Super Speeds, the Mild, Medium and Heavy English ones have the 'I', 'II' and 'III', but the USA ones don't.

5. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Looking through my razors, the only one I can find with the 'S' mark is this:
    2017_1939S1.JPG
    All of my U.K. Super Speed flair tips (not coloured tips) have the 'II' mark.

brit likes this.
  6. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

My 39-45 Tech doesn't have the 'S'
    39-45Tech1.jpg

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I've always found that particular style of Tech to be interesting. They seem to only have been made during the War and have the oval slots from the post-War Tech but no shoulder notches (like the pre-War Tech).

I read a supposition once that they may have been made under some kind of subcontract to Gillette with the 'S' possibly denoting the source.

Taipan likes this.
  8. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think my WWII Tech with the 'S' is actually a Contract Tech head with a Bakelite handle.
    I hope Mr Razor doesn't mind my reproducing this:
    1945 Contract Tech beschriftet Logo.jpg
    Look at the head and see the 'S'. That is exactly like mine, but I don't have the cool handle. Notice also the oval slots whereas the 41-45 'Camouflage' version has triangular slots. So, perhaps John Ruschmeyer has hit the nail on the head with his proposition that the 'S' means an outsourced item?

brit likes this.
  9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Well, this arrived today:
    1944WW2.JPG
    It has the 'S' stamped onto the guard plate but has oval rather than the triangular guard slots. I have a reference that oval guard slots were post 1947, does anyone know if that's correct?

brit likes this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this Contract Tech set that was dated by the seller from the blades that were with it originally as 1945. It has the S stamped on it, and the oval slots. I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit and Taipan like this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I suspect that it is more correct to say that the post-War ones have oval slots *and* corner notches since it appears that oval slots apparently found their way into some wartime versions.

12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Thanks Alan and John for your observations.

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

This Flair Tip Rocket is from a "Travelers Set". These are supposed to be full Rhodium.

IMG_0840.JPG

Robyflexx, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

That's a beauty you don't see very often! The Brit TV Special is the only one left on my acquire list (to complete my collection).

15. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

That looks great! Which Traveller set did that come from?

preidy likes this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Photo from Mr Razor. But I don't have the shipper.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. The Daily Blade

The Daily Blade Active Member

Interesting. I just got a Flare Tip Rocket and it does have the A stamped on the underside of the blade bed. However, unlike described here, this one has the very distinct pointed end British end caps as shown in the attached photos. This razor weighs right at 60 grams. This razor incidentally was shipped to me from Canada if that sheds any light at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. John Fields

John Fields New Member

I have a 40s style with the S rather than II. I have never got my hands on an English Blue Tip so I don't know if it is that head, or if it is something else