What's your best razor / blade combo?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Well, for me so far I found the following combos to be the best so far:

#1 - Edwin Jagger Kelvin + Feather Hi-Stainless
    This combo is just butter. It cuts through my beard hair with no resistance while at the same time I don't get any cuts and only have the slightest irritation on a single spot on my next that is a problem spot for all shaves and is normally the most cut-prone place during my shaves. With pre-shave oil or a really moisturizing shave soap there is zero irritation. The shaves from this combo are always baby smooth, even with the single pass I normally do. This is currently the best combo I've found.

#2 - Gillette 1960's Red Tip + Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
    This combo is my 2nd best shave and only by the slimmest of judgments. For all intents and purposes, this shave is the same as the EJ Kelvin+Feather combo. Glides over the skin and cuts through the beard hair like nothing is even in its way. Minimal neck irritation on the vulnerable "spot" and with shave oil there is no irritation at all.

#3 - 1907 Antique Gillette Old-Type + Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpeEdge
    This combo delivers the closest shave and 'rarely' gives me a cut or irritation. This is a risky combo due to the sharp blade and aggressive razor, but the closeness and smoothness of the post-shave is the best. The top-2 ranked above this come ridiculously close to what this oldie does, but this oldie is a risky shave whereas the top combos are extremely safe.

No other combos on any of my other razors are causing me to post praise. I have yet to try out Stirling Soaps "Slant" razor, so things can change over time. I just wanted to post up my favorite combos so far and see what some other people have found that they like.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Tim,
    I am still searching for the perfect blade for my razors.

So far, Merkur 3C HD with an Astra SP. still looking for the best with my Fatboy and Fendrihan Scientist.

I heard many find a single blade for more than one razor works while other, like you, find a different blade in each work best.

Interested to see what others post.

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

So far the best combination is the Fatboy with a Gillette Nacet blade, but I have Polsivers on the way and also liked the Gillette Silver Blues. The only other razor I have is a Maggard V3.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. brit

brit in a box

aristocrat jr and gillette silver blue,i have used this razor with astra sp and voskhods,but the silver blue just seemed like it belonged.minor weeper on neck but i was being greedy..

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Merkur HD with an Astra SP.

shadowfeind likes this.
  6. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Razorock Mission/Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Merkur 33C/Astra Superior Stainless

7. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Gillette Slim Adjustable on setting 3 with an Astra SP Blade

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I can achieve irritation free shaves from just about anything. Many people switch equipment to solve technique issues, blades chief amongst the items most often blamed for hidden technique issues. I tend to lean on GSB and Voskhod, because in my experience they are consistent and reliable. As I've progressed through all this stuff, I have become equipment agnostic, and feel that outcomes are largely controlled by technique. From Derby and Shark to Feather and Bic...they all work just fine if technique is solid.

Counter question:

Why do guys rotate into setups that they already feel are suboptimal? Is there a day when one's face consciously deserves third best?

dustmite, Keithmax, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not everyone believes a great shave can be achieved with any old razor so seek out different combinations to work magic. As a group of enthusiasts and collectors we enjoy a variety of razors even if every single one doesn't deliver the best shave every time. My favorite razor is my Shake Sharp, doesn't mean I'm going to let the rest of my collection sit in a drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. Bama Samurai

My point being, there is no magic when it comes to results, it's mostly technique. Collectors using their pieces makes perfect sense, and a very forthright answer. I am the oddball here who doesn't collect razors.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I don't collect razors either. 1956 Gillette Red Tip with Astra SP blade.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

We could endlessly and pointlessly debate the world "mostly"...But best to just agree that technique can deliver an acceptable shave with most any razor (including a disposable cartridge or a hand held Derby). A five star shave -- particularly a head shave -- is something else entirely , which is why some razors stay in the den and others get passed on.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My favorite blade is Personna Lab Blue, but I can get a great shave from any and all blades I have.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I used my Schick Krona with PolSilver blade.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I completely agree about the technique point. i only use a few different razors and they all provide great shaves. I normally switch up when I am in the mood for something different, not a better or worse shave, just different..

wchnu and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

I have a tie for the best;
    Merkur 33C with Israeli Personna Platinum (Reds) and a 1972 Super Speed Flare with Laser Super Platinum. Both give outstanding performance.

Fas est et ab hoste docari.

17. swarden43

Yes, I consistently get my best shaves from my HD and an Astra SP. But for me, it isn't about the end results, although I strive for an irritation-free BBS every time. In that, I don't see it as my face getting third best, to use your example. I enjoy pondering the history that may be behind my vintage razors. I enjoy the challenge of varying my technique to pull the optimum results from each razor/blade combo. I enjoy the variety.

Taipan, Bama Samurai and jmudrick like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Put much better than I did, yes.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

I guess it's all about the goals of the individual. For me, results are only real criteria.

wchnu likes this.
  20. swarden43

My wife says about her shoes it's about fashion over function. For me, function comes first.

Bama Samurai likes this.