What's your best razor / blade combo?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My wife says this also. I couldn't do it.

swarden43 likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Being just an old broken down flatfoot, I'll stay out of the more esoteric end of this. Here's my rotation:
    NEW SC(ca. 1932-1940)- GSB
    '71 Super Adjustable 109- Voskhod
    EJ DE89bl- Shark Super Chrome
    Gillette Travel Razor- TBD
    If I bought 'em, I'm gonna use 'em and with the best blade for 'em.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

That's why I don't have rotations. I mostly use what works best. I use my best shaver and my best performing soap -- especially the latter. I still haven't figured out why I would want to use something that doesn't perform as well. I guess there's variety?

To answer the OP: Parker Variant with a Derby.

lightcs1776 and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Timeless scalloped .68 with astra sp

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For the record, Shake Sharp v1 with shimmed Permasharp is my top combo by considerable margin.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I Think I could get a great shave from a sharp rusty can lid and yogurt. Technique is the key. A sharp blade us a sharp blade. Just because some are sharper does not mean they shave closer. When you cut the hair its cut. I use a lot of different razors because I like to. The shaves are all basically the same.

That being said SE is my favorite style of razor and my 1910 gem junior bar with a PAL carbon Steel blade is the best of the bunch.

PanChango likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gillette Fat Boy, with Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow blades.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You're entitled to your opinion and I don't doubt that's true for you.. But there's tremendous variation in for example blade flex/stability which has tremendous impact on how a blade cuts against the grain. How much growth you have, how coarse your hair, and whether we're talking head or beard makes a big difference in how much this matters. I can get a nice BBS on my face with most anything but the head shave is another story entirely.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. brit

brit in a box

most of my razors are similar in shave feel.to me anyway,be it the blades or razor.i used my rocket hd this last shave because i had almost a weeks growth. i don t use my aristocrat jr too much because it is nos new in the case(or was).i am still in the honeymoon phase with de and loving it.between all my techs and rockets i always get an incredible shave and i love the history behind all of them.i have to use what i collect or i cannot justify owning them.being a brit i like some british stuff as i missed out on a lot by moving to canada at an early age. for my first 30plus years of shaving with carts i didn t have a lot of choices ; now i do.as for technique it counts the most.its getting better all the time,hence great shaves all the time.i am into the british and american era from ww2 to the late 70s(music,cars, racing,collectables,razors etc)new does nt mean better in some aspects.i will probably never settle on one razor/blade/soap/hotrod/musclecar/rock group.heck i am on my third wife.(she is the keeper).anyway gents,hows that for a ramble....

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have five razors and bought 12 or so different blades in bulk. I get excellent shaves, all the time, with any of the blades paired with my Merkur 34c and vintage G1 Fatboy. For whatever reason - these two razors just take any blade. I now use the two almost exclusively.

11. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Rockwell 6S and a PermaSharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Pretty decent as rambles go. Hey shave whatever/with whatever way you want. It's your shave after all.

brit likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My opinions are strictly for my face shaves. I will admit I know nothing of head shaving.

jmudrick likes this.
  14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

So there are those with the talent and skill to shave with anything. Ok but why would you ? Everyone has some criteria for 'better'.

Maybe you want a faster shave?
    Maybe you want a shave where you can feel calm about using the razor?
    Maybe
    Maybe
    Maybe...

Maybe there is more to shaving with a particular razor and blade than just the quality of the shave. Heck, I could have stayed shaving with a cartridge or an electric but I chose to shave with a DE because there is a required skill to its use. Selecting a blade is just part of the fun just like selecting a soap to use for that day. Why pick the soap you choose to use? Why own more than one? Again for the fun.

In addition, using my Fatboy or Slim ties me to my father and grandfather who were the original owner's. Replicating the memories they told me about using them or my memories of them shaving makes those razors special, even if I cannot yet get a great shave from them....

As for blades, my sensitive skin and wire beard says there is a difference and that is enough for me. Like in golf, tennis and most sports, a skilled user can get more from a complementary tool than one not suited to them.

jmudrick likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Man, I have been looking for a timeless scalloped. I even bought a handle already, lol.

Have you used a .95 as well?

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

2011 R41 with Iridum Super or GSB

I switch because of variety, looks or I need a quick shave or I am traveling. I can a great shave with most of my DEs but I really struggle with mild razors. Even with the razors that give me a great shave they each have a different feel and personality.

17. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

So far Astra SP in my RedTip gives me the most effortless shave with really good results.

I can maybe get slightly better results with feathers, but the effort to reward ratio usually isnt worth it for me.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Supply SE and Feather AC Pro.

19. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

This single blade razor reminds me of the Merkur Futur design. If I could go back and re-buy the razor for my white shave kit, I might have gotten that Supply SE razor. However, I have found the Merkur Futur on the most gentle setting is the is the least aggressive, most comfortable in-shave razor I own (along with giving an impressively smooth shave given how gentle it is) and so far works the same with Merkur or Derby blades that don't work good in any other razor. I'm wondering what it will be like with a more sharp blade like a Voskhod or Feather HI-Stainless on that lowest setting? I bet it will be just as comfortable during the shave but be even closer. I like how that Supply SE looks though. It is a very similar styling but I think it looks slicker than the Futur.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

HD 5oo w/ Rapira Super Stainless and NEW SC w / Voshkod and 1906 Single Ring w/ P-Lux