WHY DID THEY DO IT? Tell me it ain't so!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marc Bagwell, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Still cracks me up every time I see your avatar! Love the feedback, pard. Thanks

RyX and mrchick like this.
  2. Marc Bagwell

You're right, the specter of the bottom line is always close by.

Herm2502 and twhite like this.
  3. Marc Bagwell

You're right, the business man always wins out over the engineer.

mrchick and twhite like this.
  4. Marc Bagwell

Great point, nobody will be looking for a Fusion razor a century from now.

RyX, mrchick and twhite like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll speculate and say that 90% of the shavers out there are content with disposable shaving systems and believe that shaving is just another chore. I think Gillette realized that 50 years ago when they brought out the techmatic.

I don't think the average shaver cares whether their razor lasts 5 years or 50 years. I think society has become much more short sighted over the last few decades and are just looking for fast and convenient ways to shave, not better ways.

Gillette and others have taken advantage of that mentality and have reaped the profits. I don't think there's any turning back to DEs now, unless it's with a proprietary blade.

Just my two cents.

Primotenore, ninjack and RyX like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Glad to be of service

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You plan on dying this year or something?

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    oh-no.jpg

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

No me. Past B-day I turned 56. Now that I've lived one third of my life...
    These Millennials need to get working on Life extension meds. I want to make at least 150 and retire on the moon, or maybe Mars.

PLANofMAN and Jim99 like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The "195" is the 57 Chevy (a classic) of the vintage razor world. I have a complete cased in excellent condition. Although it's not my best shaver I still take the ole girl out for a spin 4 or 5 times a year. But in between those trips, I just sometimes take her out the razor drawer and just admire her plain good looks.

twhite, Marc Bagwell and RyX like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I usually wouldn't come to the defense of Fatboy but will here. Though I don't particularly like Fatboys as shavers they are beautiful from a design perspective. In contrast, the 57 Chevy Bel-Air is kind of a dog, relatively speaking. It was an old design, dressed up with chrome and fins, not particularly successful at the time (Ford outsold Chevy), and, unlike the Fatty looks extremely dated (look at what Mercedes and BMW by comparison). They became popular in the 60s and achieved whatever iconic status they possess for how they could be remade as hotrods, not for what they were. They were no Fatboy. My opinion. Then of course I drive a Studebaker :) (But the 57 Studebakers were likewise not the best designs).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm sure Gillette (who was ahead of their time) did a big customer survey and many men didn't like the larger head (not good for under the nose) and shorter handle, which caused the Gillette Slim to be born.

jmudrick likes this.
  13. Marc Bagwell

It's a date, we'll meet at Ricks tavern on the red planet. You're buying!

RyX likes this.
  14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

No plan on dying either. Just a fact that the world is driven not on art or science but on money. No one really cares about making better or perfect as long as you can make a buck and have planned obsolescence or RMR

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Look for the sign, I'll save you a bar stool!
    oxygen-bar-522548.jpg

twhite and Marc Bagwell like this.
  16. Marc Bagwell

17. Marc Bagwell

You're right, most corporations are driven by the bean counters, not the engineers.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Slimmer, Trimmer, Lighter, Longer. And cheaper at $1.49 , then $1.00-$1.79[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Herm2502, Marc Bagwell and twhite like this.
  19. Marc Bagwell

Wish we could still buy them for 1.49! Nice add. I have a slim and like it, for me anyway, it's just not a FatBoy.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

What is really sad is that you could buy an American made Gillette Razor for $1.49 in 1960, which if you check the inflation calculator, comes out to $12.15 in 2017. If Gillette made a similar razor in the USA in 2017 it would cost WAY more than $12.15.

Jim99 likes this.