What Are The Best DE Blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 19, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I like Astra, and I read somewhere that they are like beginner blades, but still what are the best DE blades?

RyX likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Opening a can of worms, huh? Grin. Everyone seems to have different opinions. For me, my favorite blades so far are Gillette Nacet, Gillette Silver Blue, and Polsivers. I also have had good results with Astra SP. The only ones I have tried that I absolutely did not like are Derby, but I know there are some that like them as well. I think a variety pack will help you determine what is best for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

crackstar and RyX like this.
  3. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

The best blades are the ones that work for you. That's why a blade sampler is the best money you can spend.

jsw41, Taipan, DesertTime and 8 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    Not a single person here can answer that question for you. You gotta ask YOUR face.

jsw41, DesertTime, crackstar and 3 others like this.
  5. swarden43

And labeling a blade as a "beginner" blade is asinine.
    No such thing. All razor blades are sharp and will cut you if get lazy and refuse to pay attention to what you're doing, I don't care what brand it is.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's a guy trying to determine an answer to the Question. Neal @NCoxSTL has been using the same, or a similar razor testing DE blades in what he calls The Grand Blade Trials. He's using an adjustable Gillette and trying each blade at a mild, medium, and aggressive setting. If you have questions about any particular blade he may have an opinion, some advice, and actual information.
    While Neal is being as scientific as he can the real test is when you put blade to face. So many variables it's not possible to give a definitive answer. Your beard type from wispy to wiry. Your perceived skin sensitivity. The brand or type of soap and application method. The type of razor and more important your technique can change the effect you get from a particular blade.
    If in depth discussion of these variables interest you, I'd invite you to visit the 30 Rule/Focus crew. There's a link in my signature below. It's a gathering of New Shavers trying out vintage gear, & Old Shavers learning to use new tools. Plus there's shenanigans, malarkey, and general tomfoolery.

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

8. RetLEO-07

I'll second the above!

NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

I can tell you the best blades for my face, YMMV.
    Voskhod in my '71 SA-109
    GSB in my NEW SC
    Shark Super Chrome in my EJ DE89bl
    As you can see there are variables. Good luck in finding the razor/blade combo that works for you. Believe it or not it's a lot of fun!

RyX likes this.
  10. theguitarshaver559

I didn't mean to make anyone mad, if I did. Sorry.

11. swarden43

No apology necessary. You asked a question that we can't answer, that's all.
    As for my "asinine" comment, that was directed at the person who wrote what you read, not you personally.

Bama Samurai, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The best blades are already paid for in my drawer. When they are gone, I will find more best blades. :)

DesertTime, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

No worries. You asked a very common question that many new wet shavers would have. I had the same question myself.

The good news so far is that you like Astras. They must be doing a pretty good job for you, so anything on top of that will be like icing on the cake. It is fun to try different blades. After using only Feather blades for about four years, I picked out a few different ones based on my curiosity and on the general feedback made by a lot of wet shavers. I've been happy with all of them and don't find a great deal of difference between any of them.

I predict as you refine your technique you'll be able to get consistently great shaves with any blade you decide to use. Keep having fun! :happy088:

14. theguitarshaver559

Besides owning Astra SP blades, I also have Vokshod, PolSilver, Wilkson, and Shark. I've tried both PolSilver, and Astra and like Astra better. I haven't tried the others I've mentioned yet. Will load a Vokshod blade in my Adjustable in a few days and see if I like it better than Astra, and I will let y'all know, if you want me to.

15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

As your technique improves, you'll find that the blades become more and more similar, to the point that they really don't matter. Try not to get too hung up on someone else's idea of what a beginner, intermediate, or experienced shaver should use. If you are happy with what you have, it's right for you.

16. RetLEO-07

:signs011:

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. swarden43

If we didn't want to know, we wouldn't be here! :eatdrink047:

18. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'll let you know as soon as I get done trying all of them.

dustmite likes this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've got like 40 different brands of blades. I, too, was looking for the "best blade".

There ain't no such critter. Last night, I was going to load a Voskhod in my '46 Milord. Great blade, my favorite, in a beautiful razor. Well, it wouldn't fit over the center bar for whatever reason. So, I stored the blade in my Fat Boy. Thought it might have been that rare "bad blade", but a second Voskhod also refused to fit. Ended up using something else. Funny, I've never had problems before with Voskhods, just that one razor. Kinda like when my son tried higher octane gas in the Intruder I sold him. 87 runs like a top; 91 made it run like a Yugo.

Some razors work better with some blades; like someone else suggested, best thing to do is get a sample pack and find what works best for you.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Blades are probably the most subjective part of the setup, although I'm learning that soaps can be equally subjective. However, because the blade is really the most crucial element of the shave (in my opinion) because it is the part that actually does the cutting, the opinions of what works best are usually very personal, very well entrenched, and can cause some controversy. However, none of that is really necessary.

I have tried a large number of blades with a large number still to go. Are some better than others? Yes - with an asterisk. Some are better for me, my face, my skill level etc. While there isn't really a "beginner" blade, some are easier to use for newbies just because they tend to be milder/smoother than others. However, that doesn't make them better or worse than others.

Now, having said that I will say that I have discovered that not all blades are created equal. There are blades that are junk. Pretty much any Chinese blade (that doesn't have the name Gillette or Schick on it). The Tiger blade from Czechoslovakia, the Quick Tiger blade (Chinese knockoff of the Tiger) and the Flying Eagle are particularly hideous. The Rubie from St. Petersburg - not a good choice......for me. Many others would agree that the Rubie is bad, but I do know people who love them. So there you go, once again I can name three definite losers and one potential loser but even that last one has its admirers. I have also discovered through the Grand Blade Trial that after developing technique correctly and using it over time the differences in blades becomes more subtle. Yes, I still have my favorite blades but there are a lot of blades that will produce fine results for me with little to no irritation and no worries about cuts/weepers etc. The differences are less dramatic than I believed two years ago when I started shaving. The key really is Technique. As a couple of others have mentioned feel free to jump into the 30 Day Thread to have some fun while learning or perfecting technique. Or for the cookies, either one. :happy088:

Ok, there's hopefully an intelligent answer. Now, if you want my personal opinion - here are some great choices of blades that I highly recommend. Some of you won't be surprised at all by these. LOL

Voskhod, Astra SP, Rapira Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Perma-Sharp, Polsilver Super Iridium, Ladas, and GSB. All top tier in my book. All Russian as well. Here are some other great choices.

Bic CP, Feather, Kai, Treet Double Edge, Super-Max Super Platinum. Any of those are great performers in my book.

Hope this rather long winded soap box answer helps!

RyX, jtspartan, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.