Anyone know of medium aggressive razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Just looking for what are some examples of medium aggressive razors?

I would put the Merkur 34C HD and EJ 89 as mild aggressive razors and I think Merkur Futur and the Muhle 41 as very aggressive. What is between these?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A Merkur slant may be what you are looking for. It is not mild, but it is not very aggressive.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

These things can be found on a little known corner of the internet called "Google"

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I use adjustable razors and I used a Futur exclusively for over six years. I moved the setting around a bit, but mostly stayed around 2 3/4. It didn't seem especially aggressive to me in that range, but cranked up a little more it could be very aggressive. The Merkur Progress is another razor I used a lot in the past and it could go from very mild to pretty aggressive (at least IMO). I'm currently using a Parker Variant and it, too, covers the range from mild to aggressive.

I don't use fixed head razors,so I can't help you there. But there are lots of folks on this forum who are very knowledgable about razors, especially some of the vintage DE's and SE's. I'm sure they'll jump in eventually.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Vintage Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip. Not the Blue or Red. It was Gillette's answer to mild, medium, aggressive.

opsimath, lightcs1776, Taipan and 2 others like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd have to agree. 99% of the vintage Gillette razors out there are either super speeds or techs, and those were razors built to suit every man and every face...a "one size fits most" razor. In other words, a medium razor.

RaZorBurn123, RyX, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:duel::happy097:

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good answers so far. I am in the "adjustable" camp; that way you can find out what level of blade exposure works best for you.

RetLEO-07, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What other one's are there?

I have a Fatboy and Slim, would those meet the medium aggressive criteria?

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very much so. Start at 1 and work your way up to 9. If it seems too aggressive , drop back one setting. As you get to know the razor you may find higher setting will be good.
    When I use my Fat Boy I do WTG at 9, then 6 for the rest of my shave. The joys of an adjustable - I don't change gear, just settings.

DesertTime and RetLEO-07 like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Colonial General. Shaves like an R41, feels like a Fatboy on five.

jmudrick and RyX like this.
  12. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Have you tried any of the Parker TTO razors? I have a 96R and a 22R that are more aggressive than my DE89 and my Weishi razors.
    parker 96r-1.jpg
    parker 22r-1.jpg

crackstar likes this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

The black tip, to me, is a medium.

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

With my SA-109, with a Voskhod, on a 2 day growth: "9" WTG "7" for the rest. "5" if there is any clean up to do. M-F "7"'s all the way.

RyX likes this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'd call a Parker R22 a fairly aggressive, but not a killer razor.

ninjack likes this.
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I've been getting great shaves with my Razorock Mentor.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Batou

Batou New Member

I personally would consider the Fatip open comb razors (Grande or Piccolo) as medium aggressive razors.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

With a "mild" blade I might tame my Fatip Piccolo. It still bites me.
    I wish I'd have gotten the Grande for the longer handle.

Bienvenue de la Louisiane @Batou! Visiter le Welcome Center et faire votre introduction.
    There's also a Newbie Giveaway you can enter, but be sure to read the rule to qualify.
    (Apologies for the Google translation. My Grandmother was French but neither I nor mother learned enough to be fluent.)

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You're in a real minority here, broad forum consensus considers them pretty aggressive razors, typically ranked just below R41 (2013) and Futur.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess I am in that minority. I don't think they are nearly as aggressive as their rep. Medium-high might be appropriate.