Rockwell Owners Adjustable Razors Club (ROARC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply, the question was so burning I made a google search and Mantic59 has a video explaining the different versions. I have the V2 and love it.

2. nvpliers

nvpliers Member

Great!!

3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I LOVE ROAST BEEF SANDWICHES!! Especially with a little Horseradish/Spicey Mustard dressing and...... Sorry, moment of weakness. Getting hungry.
    Getting back to the topic, you're right. Pay for a nice T-bone steak, don't want to get served a Hungry Mans Salisbury steak dinner. DAMN! That's it, I'm going to eat....

DesertTime and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

So what do you suggest, we accept the razor for as it is and go with zamac? you know how many people will ask for refund? a lot.... Can we expect for Rockwell to pay for all the extra CNC machining and probably lose 50% or more of their earned overall profit? I personally would understand and don't mind paying the extra 20 bucks because I know the man is not trying to rob us... Let me ask you, if Gareth would say hey we are making the whole razor in SS but you need to pay 20 bucks more, would you object?

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Blashe - you like to argue. For most of the thread I have agreed with you, but now you are just coming up with hypotheticals so we can argue some more. Maybe someone else wants to pick it up, but I'm out. You win.

As I said before, I took a refund so none of it matters to me anymore now anyway. I hope you get the razor you are hoping for.

DesertTime likes this.
  6. Str8on2

Easy amigo. Blashe is just a little protective and defensive on Garett and Rockwell. And I can understand that, they made good on their first run with the 6s by addressing their initial Q/C problems they encountered. And perhaps they will make good here, at least I'm hoping that to be the case. But I also don't blame you one bit for asking for a refund and bailing out on the Model T. I'm positive I would have done the same thing. We're all passionate about this hobby of ours and sometimes some of us get a little overzealous in getting a point across. Some will spend the money if needed and some won't is all. I side with you on this one PickledNorthern, better to be safe than sorry when it comes to monetary investments. Even if it's just for a razor. ;)

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm only trying to get the best out come of the situation and hopefully get zamac free razor. If Gareth ends up being stubborn and wants zamac only head, believe me you are not the only one that will ask for refund.

8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Actually I'm not protective at all, I'm pissed to be honest. I do want to own the very first modern TTO adjustable, but if I cant have it zamac free then I'll be asking for refund same as PN did.

Str8on2 likes this.
  9. Str8on2

Got it. Good luck either way amigo....:signs021:

10. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

A very fair and balanced statement if i have ever read one. Kudos.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

11. Str8on2

Thanks. Not trying to start a war here. Just had to state both sides of the situation. Both mitigating and aggravating factors. Rockwell is a small business success. They have 2 standout products that have to be recognized. But, at the same time, you can't sit back and give them a complete flyer on what has transpired with a potential public relations nightmare concerning their release and change in production materials of the Model T Adjustable razor. They might produce a decent razor, but not what was previously envisioned and what they preached and announced would come to fruition. You have potential customers and faithful backers on both sides of the fence on this one....

DesertTime likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from the maker of the Rockwell Razors that the adjustable will probably be sent out in May :angry017:

13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

14. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I am SO glad I didn't back the Model T....my thoughts on their "update" I'll keep to myself because I don't have a horse in the race this time with them. Good luck to those of you here who do.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    sky pilot 83 and Str8on2 like this.
  15. Str8on2

Well, Garrett at Team Rockwell came through. An all stainless version has been announced as an option. The all Zamak and Zinc head razor will still be produced, but the s/s version will be an option. No projected price yet, nor a definite production and delivery date. Positive news nonetheless. Anyone opting in for the All Stainless version?

16. sky pilot 83

Once the production model stainless steel one comes out.... I'll buy one.

But i gotta get all columbo here... Ahem.

See something just isn't adding up... Well you see, originally we were told the brass couldn't handle the tight tolerances so they were switching the head to zamak. But now the problem I'm having is that brass is much easier to work with than steel, less of a chance of warping during any machining, moulding, or cintering processes. So if the brass couldn't handle the high tolerances then how can the steel? It's just not adding up to me. I could be wrong, but i don't think so... Oh wait... That was mr. Adrian Monk...

17. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

The model T in SS is going to be an expensive DE.

18. Str8on2

I think cost will be higher than the Zamak & Zinc made Model T, but nothing close to say the Barbaros & Rocnel S/S Adjustable or the ATT & Timeless S/S razors. They will be using MIM manufacturing procedures, so cost will be low for them and hopefully those costs will be transferred to the consumer. So, would it cost me perhaps an extra $50-$100 to get the all stainless one? I'd pay it. It would be a bargain compared to those that I mentioned above. And, you would have to consider the only TTO S/S Adjustable in production. No one else has tried or even considered the possibility. If Rockwell does it right and I truly believe they will, razor manufacturers will take notice. And that can only mean good news for us.

19. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm opting for the Zamac free Model T. I'm concerned about the price increase he's talking about, though. I'm very disappointed in the way this has turned out. While I understand the business aspect of cost vs price, this has the makings of a PR nightmare. I, for one, backed this razor because of the materials that were promised. This was what made this razor "Revolutionary". Now I'm being told that I purchased a razor that isn't any more special than the Mekur Progress I own. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he keeps the disgruntled to 50%.

sky pilot 83 and Str8on2 like this.
  20. sky pilot 83

I wonder how much more the all stainless will cost.... I wonder how much more it costs to make... I'm told that MIM is a fraction of what CNC costs (there is videos on youtube of a metal injection moulding company talking about the process and cost if you wanna check it out).

With mim parts the cost should not go up more than 20-25 dollars. Of course the larger the batch of pieces made the cheaper the cost will be and the smaller the batch the higher the price. If they do say 200,000 pieces the price of the razor (guesstimating here) shouldn't go up by more than 15 dollars, and they'd still make a good profit.

They should've stuck with mim from the start. They broke ground with it, it's tried and true. That could be their niche, their... gimmick, if you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.