Merkur Futur Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I used the Futur I've been shelving for months FINALLY yesterday. I put the Merkur blade in it that came with the razor. I shaved with the setting on '1'. It did much better than expected. I assumed the big razor was not going to shave with any accuracy, but I managed to shave according to my beard lines and on my neck with zero issues. The razor is incredibly solid. I really surprised that I shaved so well with it on the first try. The '1' setting was all I needed to get the job done and done well. A more aggressive setting might not be needed.

Jayaruh, Keithmax, Recklesstr and 3 others like this.
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I used mine today (setting 2) for the first time in a long time and found it to provide a pretty good shave. Im always impressed with how agile it is considering its size.

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love my Futur.

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I used my Futur exclusively for six years. It's a terrific razor. Most of the time I had it set around 2 3/4, but occasionally, I'd move it around, depending on blade, beard growth and mood.

5. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I find all the Merkur razor do very well with Merkur blades.

I don't know how that is, or why that is, but in my experience it is.

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The Murkur Futur was my only DE for over 2 years. I only used the Murkur blades. Once I found the forum all was lost. Moved thru many types of razors, enjoying them all.

Try different blades in that bad boy. You will be very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nem22, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  7. Harkanato88

Harkanato88 New Member

I just got mine this Sunday absolutely love it and love that I can hear the hairs getting shaved off!! Great handle and looks bad ass too.

DesertTime and ninjack like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The one and only Adjustable(at least in my mind). Sorry to rain on the Futur parade IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0271.JPG

dangermouse, ninjack and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like my Gillette adjustable. It's almost 60 years old and still fully functional. The Futur keeps catching my eye. Not afraid of an aggressive DE so it's on my Want List. There is a Chinese clone around, too. Anyone tried both the Original and the Copy? I'd hate to get the cheap imitator only to find it disappointing. The handle has no knurling and I'm concerned about grip. Do you like the finish on yours? I haven't seen a blade being loaded - can someone pop the top to illustrate?

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Most all reports of the Q Shave clone are positive. On sale today <$10.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have the chrome handle. No slip issues at all. Then again, any razor will be slippery if you have soap on your hands or the razor handle.

The cap has one end smooth and the other with a little lip to push up. Do that and the whole cap pops off. There are two posts on the underside of the cap that fit down into matching holes on the head of the razor. Clips on either side of those holes hold the cap in place.

DesertTime and RyX like this.
  12. I recently purchased the Futur clone and I love this razor. I'm amazed by its quality and my shave results. You can buy it for less than $10 as noted on AliExpress. You won't be disappointed by purchasing it and using it. The 2nd time I used it the shaver gave me the best shave I ever had. It was so close and smooth that I kept touching my face all day. One thing I really like about this shaver is the audio feedback I'm sure the Merkur Futur is the same but you can tell what part of your face needs additional work simply by listening. I haven't had any slipping issues. My thumb rests against the top indentation and my pointing finger rests against the lower indentation and it is steady and secure in my hand. I'm so impressed with the clone that I could sell all my other razors and use just this razor exclusively. I'd offer to let you try mine but it would cost us more in postage to ship it to and back than it would to buy the razor. https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholes...psort=1&tc=af&initiative_id=RS_20170330193844

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    ninjack and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you for the review & link! :happy088:

14. Thought you might enjoy reading this post. https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-2000s-a-side-by-side-test-and-review.515616/

RyX likes this.
  15. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I ordered a clone tonight. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you @Michael Carpino. That was a good review of both the Original and the Clone. For the differences, brand name price VS. a slightly slimmer handled, I'd be happy with either.

Looking forward to your review, too. Sounds like quick shipping from China. Did you order through AliExpress?

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I just picked up one of the clones off the Bay. $15 and shipped from the USA, no waiting on the slow boat from China.

Michael Carpino, RyX and ninjack like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I have to admit that the clones look very tempting. The thing is, though, I tend toward the mild end of my Gillette Adjustable already and, as I understand it, the Futur and clones are even more aggressive. At that rate, it sounds like I'd either never enjoy it or be pretty much stuck at '1'.

RyX likes this.
  19. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

The Futur is made of Zamak and requires full disassembly, cleaning and lube to survive (probably the only razar I would ever say that about). The threaded center post will corrode and eventually fail if not treated so find out how to take it apart (it's not hard but it's not intuitive).

RyX likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Love my futur, rivals my beloved progress. The great shaves last far into the day. Noticeably so over some of my other razors. (I'll get great shaves, but feel prickly around two or three. Only a handful of my razors make me feel smooth near the five o' clock range)

Tdmsu and RyX like this.