Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Upon opening the package that it came in I noticed that the even the box was a clone. The box is exactly like the real thing; only the writing on the outside was different. Mostly written in an Oriental language that I do not know or care to. In English: Ming Shi Shaver 2000S, Sharp adjustable shaver. The package with the razor also included a five pack of Voskhod blades.
    IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG

I've never used the Voskhod blades so I loaded one. Upon taking the top off of the razor I notice that the top piece is very slightly lighter than the original. However; it goes back on tightly and is well balanced. I didn't have to try and adjust the slant of the blade at all.
    IMG_0043.JPG
    Over all, if you handed one of these clones to me and said "here's a Merkur", I'd likely believe you. The finish is somewhat different, but not bad. The numbers on the adjustment are not colored, they are merely indented. Turning to adjust is WAY easier than the Merkur on this clone, Which can only mean that I'll have to be careful not to adjust it whilst shaving.

IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

I haven't shaved with it yet as I only got it this afternoon. But in my humble opinion, if it looks like a duck and quacks....it's a duck.

Thanks for reading, any questions or feedback is welcome!
    Rich.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with "made in China" in principle, but unless they paid Merkur for it (unlikely), this is just stealing a design from a European manufacturer.

I'm not blaming you, of course, but the company who manufactures this Merkur copy.

Zykris and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Thank you??

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, how do you feel when Chinese manufacturers copy American products? I feel the same about copying products in which European companies put their R&D time and money.

Again, I am angry at the Chinese manufacturer, and definitely none of that is directed at you! My sincere apologies when I come across as if I am blaming you for anything. That is certainly not my intention.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Jayaruh likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If they copy products with no patent or trademark protection, I call it 'doing business'. If they violate international law, then I wish we could get them to stop (They do it to all sorts of things). All you have to do is go back a few years and look at the vintage razors. I have at least _two_ German copies of American (Gillette) razors. I think I have several others, but they aren't labeled as such. The Russian Rubin-1 was a copy of the Gillette black adjustable - the "Black Beauty", and the Slim Adjustable. I saw a French razor on E-Bay that I thought was a mislabeled Gillette, until I looked closer. The case was identical to the Gillette cases, as was the razor - just not the labeling.

In this case, unless Merkur trademarked the image of the razor, and/or patented the guts of it (and the Chinese copy is the same inside), then there's nothing that can be done. (Trademark is an image, patent is a process/method/structure, and copyright is written)

So, it's simply how business was, is, and probably will remain being done.

EnglishChannel and RyX like this.
  6. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Any thoughts on the clone? Or my review? This might not be the forum to wave the flag. I may or may not agree with your rants. That does not change the fact that there is a clone. Can you change that? Can I? No. Simply take it for what it is.
    Thanks.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  7. Bookworm

I'm actually looking at the clone on AliExpress. I've been debating for a week or so on whether to pull the trigger on getting it there, and opening an AliExpress account, or paying a bit more and buying it from a US distributor through E-Bay. The reviews on B&B were good, and it looks fascinating to try.

RyX likes this.
  8. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I can suggest getting one. I bought mine through E-bay...

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

From what I have read, the Future patent has expired a while back. Also many countries, even European, do not recognize patents from other countries, including the US. Also, there is no such thing as an international patent.

RyX, EnglishChannel, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The original patent dates from 1983 and is long expired. There was a minor patent in the 90s also expired.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My judgement of this Chinese copy may have been a bit harsh then. I still don't feel good about it, to be honest.

RyX likes this.
  12. Bookworm

If the Merkur were made of brass or stainless steel, I'd be more inclined to buy one at a higher price. For a Zamak device, getting it for a price that you don't mind paying for replacing when (not if) it corrodes or breaks is a good thing.

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm seeing these pop up on Ebay in the $18.00-$20.00 range. There was also an all brass version not long ago. And reviews have been generally positive, although a bit on the aggressive side, but it is adjustable.

RyX likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I agree that it would be nice when Merkur and Mühle would switch to stainless steel or brass. Looking at the problems Mühle seems to have with the Rocca production, it does not seem to be an easy switch though.

RyX likes this.
  15. Bookworm

it's a totally different production technique. I believe they're casting zinc, and moving to sintering stainless isn't even close. Casting brass is different from zinc as well - different expansion coefficients, heat ranges, the whole schmear.

16. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I think this is also a Futur clone, right?

"QShave razor"

"Adjustable handle, designed in Germany", with blade exposure from 1 to 6.

I like how they say that the handle was designed in Germany. :D

Bama Samurai and ninjack like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for the solid review!!

18. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

It is a Futur clone. I have the Merkur Futur and really love the design and look of it, but don't shave with it too much because even at a setting of 2 or 3 it seems a bit aggressive and not as smooth as my Gillettes. Having said that, I always have a very smooth face after a three pass shave with it.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Reviews I've read on this clone inform me this razor was comparable to the original (with a few idiosyncrasies) at a considerably lower cost. If one wishes to see & feel how a Futur-styled razor performs, the cost of entry is low compared to a new Merkur.
    I enjoyed shaving with the Merkur Futur—probably my favorite adjustable razor that was very aggressive at open settings.

PickledNorthern, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm guessing it's virtually identical in specifications, varying in materias. I doubt the manufacturer would go to the trouble to re-engineer a perfectly good razor out of patent given its retail price point. Obviously some change was made in the adjustment mechanism, presumably a cost saving measure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.