In praise of the Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Apr 8, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

67 is my birth year .have 2 m4 black handles.luv em....plus some rockets...

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I get just as good of shaves with a mild or aggressive razor. I prefer a more aggressive feeling razor most of the time though. It's just fun to drive. Kind of like driving a old truck with a 3 on the tree and no power stearing. It just feels more manly or something.

Herm2502 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It takes me at least 1 more pass to get BBS with any DE than, say, with an injector, but with the non-DE my scrape probability goes up an order of magnitude. It's a tradeoff because I'm never irritated after using a SS. I do enjoy them both though.

crackstar, Jim99 and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Today red tip 20170411_082112_resized.jpg the ss's always give me smooth shaves. They were mild when i was new, but always perform now.

preidy, gorgo2, brit and 4 others like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've never heard of 'corn huskers lotion'. Do you use it as an aftershave balm?

crackstar likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In my experience, open blades are the most gentle daily shave possible. Open blades use low angles and very light pressure. Comfort is all about angle and pressure, all razors are really the same.

gorgo2, Herm2502 and crackstar like this.
  7. Bookworm

Well, the NEW I used last night was a bit rough, and I don't tend to go overboard. Same blade as i used before in the SS with good results. It didn't really cut me, but i can feel it even now. May partly be the soap, used VDH, but there was lots of it. I'll save that razor type for when I have a weeks worth of stubble, I think.

gorgo2 and crackstar like this.
  8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

:happy088: Plus, with a mild shaver you can shave very fast, with minimal risk of nicks! An aggressive may be cut more or give BBS easier, but mild and quick has its advantages too. BTW, what are your favourite blades for the Weishi?

Jim99 and crackstar like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes, it soothes nicely, and smells nice too.

crackstar likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Maybe I'll look for it. Probably similar to Bag Balm, which we mostly used for animals when I was growing up :)

11. Bama Samurai

Rough probably means angle of attack was too high. It sounds as if you are describing blade scrape aftermath.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Weirdly enough, it didn't feel like blade scrape, like I got with an Astra SP and my FaTip Piccolo. Its hard to explain. I did check my angle several times, but it's at the normal 'right at the face'. I still suspect the soap a bit more than the razor or blade.

gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Once you learn technique it will not matter if the razor is mild or aggressive. You will be able to get great shaves from them all at the same speed.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very similar. Corn huskers was made for very dry working hands. My Mom always had it around during yard and gardening season. My Grandfather was a farmer and this was what my Grandmother had for his hands too.

15. Bama Samurai

Piccolo was the razor that inspired the term "ride the cap." I really like Derby in that razor head. It's the only three piece I own, and a great design, albeit a bit tricky for learners. You should elbow test your soap, could be. I can't do tobacco blossom EO, and some Lanolin preparations. In my case, a soap issue usually results in tingly burning that stays for a while. I agree, very different feel than scrape.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. Bookworm

I suspect that my initial 'great' shave I had with the Piccolo was because I stuffed a dollar store blade in it. Either Israeli Personna or the Dorco clone. The Astra wasn't fun, and another shaver has also recommended trying the Derby. I haven't gotten back to it because I have SO many different razors to try first. That, and I'm about to experiment with re-lacquering a couple of razors with the same kind they used 100 years ago. Nitrocellulose. Urethanes are too easy :) That, and I'm playing with waxes.

gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I shave 7 days and find mild razors more difficult. I think the reason is I find them less "efficient". To me that means I have to work harder for a close shave. With my more aggressive razors (OT, adjustables on 7-8, Sledgehammer) I get a fast, very close shave with no irritation or discomfort. My face always feels great. But then to each his own.

Herm

Sevenbark, gorgo2 and wchnu like this.
  18. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I hope so...

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No doubt at all. You will see.

gorgo2 and Shave Fu like this.
  20. Ken Speckle

Ken Speckle New Member

How goes it everyone? I have a question for the experts. Yeah, I'm talking to all of you. I was just given two Razors. One is a '60 FB, the other is a super speed. After cleaning them I noticed the super speed doesn't have a date code. How can you tell the year?
    Also, the FB has a loose door. I don't see any visible screws. Can that be tightened?
    Thanks all

gorgo2 likes this.