Good sandalwood bath soap?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by ninjack, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Was wondering what would be a good sandalwood scented bath bar soap to buy? I love the Caswell Massey sandalwood shave soap and cream as well as their sandalwood aftershave balm and cologne. It smells very much like Proraso red sandalwood shave products. Caswell Massey makes a sandalwood bath bar soap also, but it costs around $10. per bar, kind of expensive. I have seen many different sandalwood bath bar soaps on ebay for much cheaper, but am not sure how they smell or which one would be good to get and try. Mysore, Vaadi Herbals, Chandrika and Bee and Flower are some of the ones I have found that look promising with 6 to 12 bars for under $20. Anyone ever try any of these? Was wondering if they have a good sandalwood scent or if there are better out there what would they be. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Check out Stirling. I have not tried the Sandalwood bath soap, but I like the shave soap. I have tried the Vanilla Sandalwood bath soap, and really enjoy it.

Keithmax and ninjack like this.
  3. ninjack

Thanks, I'll look into it. I haven't tried any Stirling products yet, but have heard good things.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I use TOBS and really like it. It's usually around $7-$8 a bar but it lasts a long time.

I've also used Grandpa's which is a good soap and very affordable. The scent isn't as good as TOBS but it's cheaper.
    Same goes for Murry & Lanman.

I have not tried River Soap Co but I've had good luck with some of their other scents.

ninjack likes this.
  5. ninjack

Does the TOBS sandalwood bath soap smell like the sandalwood shave cream? Use to be my favorite, but it's a little strong and perfumie for me now. Still like it though. I use Kirk's castile bar soap and like it, but bought some of their liquid soap to try and I swear it smells just like TOBS sandalwood. The Kirk's bar soap doesn't at all, but the liquid soap does. I may have to try the TOBS sometime.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. John Beeman

I'll try to remember when I get home to smell the soap and shave cream and see if they're the same

ninjack likes this.
  7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I usually buy soap by the 3 or 4 pound loaf through Ebay. They have a lot of good "mom & pop" sellers who make some excellent soaps.

ninjack likes this.
  8. ninjack

Yeah, I've seen a lot of interesting looking soaps on ebay. I'll have to start buying some of the different ones and trying them.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  9. John Beeman

The TOBS bar soap is more "woody" smelling than the shave cream and not nearly as "perfumie" smelling. It's also not as strong.

And by the way, don't waste your money on the Murray & Lanman Sandolo - I mentioned it in an earlier post forgetting that it is on the bottom of my list.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    ninjack likes this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Chandrika soap is very nice, have tried the one in the green box, not sure if that's the sandalwood but it has a incense type of scent. Soap bar is kind of small but was around $1 and lasted a long time.

Another option is the Razorock bath soaps, last longer than any other artisan soap I have tried so far (around 75 showers from 1 bar) and only cost a few bucks. Not positive but believe they have a Sandalwood scent.

Stirling is another great bath soap for a nice price.

ninjack likes this.
  11. ninjack

Yes, I checked and they do have a sandalwood scented soap, and for $2.99 a bar (regularly $3.99). Not a bad price for it. I will try it eventually. I got a big bar of sandalwood bath soap from an artisan soap maker at a local medieval fair last weekend. It smells nice and leaves the skin feeling soft, but does not lather well. I didn't realize there were so many options available for sandalwood bath soap until now.

markjnewcomb and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Yes the options are almost endless when it comes to artisan soap makers. Some work better than others so it takes some trial and error to find what works best for you.

ninjack and markjnewcomb like this.
  13. ninjack

I went ahead and ordered some Mysore sandalwood bath soap to try. I hear good things about it. I am interested in trying the Bee and Flower sandalwood also. I like the way the Bee and Flower soaps are packaged. When the Mysore gets here I'll let y'all know what I think of it. Hopefully I'll love it.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  14. ninjack

Well I got the 10 bars of Mysore Sandal soap I ordered off of ebay yesterday and I gotta say I really don't like it. The smell was not pleasant to me at all. It reminded me of a scent from my childhood in the 70's, I just can't place it. Total bust. Oh well, I think I will try the Bee and Flower Chinese brand sandalwood next. I am hoping I can find an Asian supermarket that sells it, that way if I don't like it I am not stuck with a bunch of bars I won't use. My wife works with several ladies from India, I will have to have her take them to work and find them a new home. Really wasn't expecting to dislike the Mysore, I've heard so many good things about it.

15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My understanding is that there are several different varieties of sandalwood, one of which is mysore. I had also heard that mysore is the preferred sandalwood for connoisseurs. So, I am curious - Have you ever smelled mysore before or is it this particular mysore product that you don't like?

16. ninjack

This is the first time I've tried Mysore. I have TOBS sandalwood and like it, but find it too strong and perfumie any more. Caswell Massey make a great smelling sandalwood soap and cologne (very similar to Proraso red). I wanted to find a bath soap that smells like Caswell Massey sandalwood without the Caswell Massey bar soap price. I will try a few more brands like Bee and Flower to see if I like them, and if I don't find one I may just get the Caswell Massey soap. I got a bar of artisan sandalwood bath soap that has a great smell to it, not exactly like the Caswell Massey, but still very nice. It was $5 for one bar. Thinking about trying Maxam Sandalwood bath soap to see if I like it any better than the Mysore.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  17. ninjack

Stopped by an Asian market the other day to see if I could find Bee and Flower sandalwood soap there. They didn't have sandalwood, but did have jasmine and some other one that I bought. They smell okay, but are very small bars. Don't know if their sandalwood would be what I am looking for. Think I will order from Razorock to see how their sandalwood soap smells.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I regularly use Bee & Flower Sandalwood and Jasmine soaps. I get them for $0.90 from Winco (a grocery store). I have tried a lot of sandalwood soaps and I find the Bee & Flower to be superior to all that I've tried, including bars that cost 8-9 times as much. The bars are smaller than a bar of US soap, yes ,but I wouldn't consider them small. They also last a long time, it's a hard soap.

ninjack likes this.
  19. ninjack

Thanks, Mr. Shaverman. I'll try the Bee and Flower sandalwood version also. They didn't have it in the store I went into, but I'll order some off of ebay at some point to give it a try.

20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Have enjoyed my Whole Foods Sandalwood Soap. Not sure if you'll love the scent or not since , what I have heard, sandalwood scents are a personal thing. Soap feels very good to me, is triple milled and is lasting a nice long time, to me. At $3.99 and locally available, I think it good. Need to try a Razorock soap once I hear from all of you on it. I love Stirling soaps but find they wear down fast since they are not milled. It is my special occasion soap.

ninjack likes this.