Daily driver DE razor and change-up?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mikewood, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have quite a few razors and have pretty much settled in on a pair of super adjustables for daily shaving. With Astra SP blades they do a wonderful job with very little effort on my part. Sometimes I try to go back the the slim, FB, DE-89 or others and the shaves are ok. But just ok.

After laying off shaving for a couple days this weekend I tried my Mühle R41 and got a really great shave but I know it will tear me up if I keep using it.

Just wondering for those of you that have daily drivers do you have a "weekend razor" or a "vacation from shaving" razor?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Kinda, sorta.
    I use DEs Mon-Fri, Str8s on Sat, and SEs on Sundays.

Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, that is what I am doing right now. I am using a different DE each week day, then one of my str8s on Saturday, and my lather catcher on Sunday.

swarden43 likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm always searching for inspiration. I read here at the den (only here pretty much), someone always posts a razor that interests me. I get enthused with new razors, they usually get a couple a day's to get used to them.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Short answer for me; no, I don't.

6. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Since I got it a few months ago, my Schick Krona has been my daily driver. Loaded with an Astra Platinum SP it has the perfect balance of moderate aggression and comfort for a great shave on a busy morning.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have a three(soon to be 4) razor rotation: Gillette NEW SC, "71 SA-109, Edwin Jagger DE89BL and starting next week a '52 Super Speed Black Tip. One week of shaves each. If you held a pistol on me and made me choose it would probably be my NEW...or my SA-109..and I'd be dead.

PanChango likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Right now, yes.... I am learning to use a shavette. After copious amounts of bloodletting on my first try, I decided that it will be a weekend only thing until my skills improve so I have a chance to heal up before going in to work. Outside of trying to learn a shavette, no. I normally use one razor almost exclusively for months at a time.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

How does a 12ga impact razor choice over a pistol?

10. RetLEO-07

I'd still be dead :)

PanChango likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No, because of my involvement with the 30 Day group, I use razors basically a month at a time.

Spud likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Much larger splatter range, lousy accuracy?

13. RetLEO-07

That close, accuracy is a moot point.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I stick to a core group of 6 razors, I really would love to be able to use one as a daily shaver.

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My favorite is rapidly becoming a '48/'49 Super Speed. I'm currently going through my blades to see which ones it likes. I used a Dorco ST-300 last night will very good results.

16. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I have an ATT R1 head with a Webber Bulldog handle that is my daily, as well as an '80 Gillette Super Adjustable and a VDH tto that is my travel razor. I tend to stick with the ATT/Webber simply because it has such great craftsmanship and gives great shaves.

Spud likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like experimenting so vary daily but try to use my favorite, the Bakelite Shake Sharp, once a week or so to keep the abilities of my other razors in perspective. I could easily and happily use it daily but it's more fun to mix it up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I tend to use the Merkur Progress the most. I get the best shave from it.
    My others I pick occasionally are the EJ Chatsworth, ATT R1, and the HD rarely.
    I have some others, modern and vintage but almost never use them.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Hi Spud, long time no see. Welcome back. :happy088:

Spud likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll use my SRs on the weekends because I have extra time and I'm not in a rush. I will also use an SR when I'm working from home. When I'm going into the office, I'll grab whatever razor I feel like... DE, SE, injector. Since I get good to great shaves out of all of them, I'll just select one that appeals to me that morning.