Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Well, there will also always be those people who refuse to buy a vintage razor, no matter how good its condition, because of the perception that it is "used".

I suspect that, if it is ever released, the AoS Tech will be expensive but sell decently, especially the "limited edition" just because people will want to collect it.

As for materials, I've resigned myself to, at best, a brass handle and Zamac head (same as most low-end razors). While I believe all-brass or even some kind of SS construction would be doable at the price point, I'd be surprised if it actually happens.

How it shaves will be the interesting question to me.

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Major edit: I probably should take this a bit less seriously :)

It's nice that Gillette at least acknowledges that there is a market for DE razors in the USA.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    DaltonGang likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

New, old...buy what you want.
    It's your money. Enjoy it your way.

Bama Samurai, DaltonGang and Eeyore like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would love to see a Newly made Big Fellow or Big Boy Razor, along with Bostonians. Only if they fixed the splitting handle problem.
    Perhaps a longer handled Fatboy?

PLANofMAN and Eeyore like this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Here is an email I received today. The only information I have ever requested from Gillette, has been regarding the re-release of their DE razors.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Food For Thought yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave Fu, ninjack and Jim99 like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sadly, that's probably a teaser for their new 7-blade vibrating razor with built in micro lube strips (on both ends!) LED mirror fog lighting, built in foam dispenser and pedestrian detection system. Mentholated bicycle bell comes as an add on.

Herm2502, brit, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Do you think they'll also have a properly stropped towel too? I mean, every hoopy frood needs to know where his towel is.

otherstar, brit, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That will probably be a Limited Edition. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Yup. Here..

brit, blashe, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:eek: :happy097:

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'll settle for hunting their earlier models in the wild. All the "weekend warriors" will be buying these new razors promulgated by the bean counters and some committee. PT Barnum was right.

Herm2502, ninjack and gorgo2 like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree... they probably added you to the general mailing list when you originally contacted them.

Throwing out wild, implausible speculation for a moment... What if the planned AoS Tech was delayed/cancelled because of a Gillette marketing change? If you think about the potential shelf space they have lost to DE razors like the VdH and Bevel and combine it with the level of interest about the possible AoS Tech, could someone at Gillette have had a moment of clarity and decided to do a real roll-out of a Gillette DE razor for the US market?

Yes, I think it is highly unlikely but I've always wondered why they didn't do a Platinum Plus-branded version of the Sterling razor just to undercut VdH.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. HUF

HUF Active Member

It is GPS-guided and will call 911 autoatically when you nick yourself.

richgem, Robyflexx and Bookworm like this.
  15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Don't forget the rechargeable vibrating handle.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Because that would be admitting that de, ie one blade, does the job that their multi blade carts are supposed to be best at.
    But to be quite fair, I used the carts improperly, while I did always use a brush, I didn't prep like I do now. I use much better lathers, pay attention to hair growth direction, and am in tune with blade pressure.
    Maybe they think that catering to a small number of hold outs, or third world no option peoples, is backward thinking. They say their latest is "the best a man can get". Why produce for second best?
    I like my de's and straights, and some se's, and am content to see Gillette be a vintage name. It gives way to merkur,muhle, ikon, parker, above the tie, and a large host of smaller companies to cater to those of us, who feel at home riding an edge to remove our whiskers.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. TxMidLifeDad

TxMidLifeDad New Member

I got the same email, I have only signed up for their general emails for coupons back before I discovered wet shaving.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. It would admit that every innovation and iteration from Trac II onward was, at the very least, superfluous.

They will NEVER admit that.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Honestly, the real money has always been in the blades. That was Gillette's original model. So whether 1 blade, 5, 7, or 10 self shaving with laser guidance, I'm willing to bet if Gillette wanted to stop Cartridge and go back to DE, but then severely markup the blades (like the VDH at Target or blades at AoS) they could switch. Couple that with razors made out of pot metal, and fancy advertising I don't think they'd have any problems.

But this looks like vaporware to me.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hard or soft vaporware?