Sraight Razor "Roll Call"..

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Apr 16, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Let me start by saying; "Don't Judge Me". These razor multiply like "Tribbles".
    I thought it would be fun, and eye opening to list the number of razors you own, by a few categories.

1. First String(A List) Razors- Ones that deliver a perfect shave, and need no improvements.
    2. Second String(B List) Razors- Ones that deliver a good satisfying shave, but it could be just a tad sharper. These are still good enough to grab and go, for a DFS, no tugging.
    3. Benched Razors- Razors that need honing, and or scales, to make them safely usable.
    4. Hopeless- Probably cannot be saved. Too damaged, or Crap Steel.

Here is my count:
    1. First String- 30
    2. Second String- 25
    3. Benched- 62 :(
    4. Hopeless- 3

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

1. First String - 1
    2. Second String - 1

Still a small collection. Lol

3. DaltonGang

Remember, Tribbles.

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I haven't a clue

Bjoerge Brathagen and Karl G like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Straight Razors (useable): Hart steel 8/8, Wostenholm 7/8, Dovo Bismarck 2 6/8, Dovo 6/8 Carre, 2016 Gold Dollar w/beech wood handle, Wostenholm pipe razor 4/8. To be continued...

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

First string - 8. Anything less, gets turned loose.

7. DaltonGang

Well then, its time you dug around and tallied them up. I'm curious. :D

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    First string - 3
    That's all of them.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

First String: Currently, about 30 or so qualify as true 'shave-ready with no touch-ups required.' I've sold off about two dozen 1st stringers in the past 18 months, with another purge to happen again shortly.
    Second String: 5 or 6 need some touch-up work to reach '1st string' level.
    Bench: 48, at last count. Most need some serious work (new scales, edge or blade fix, etc). No rush as I've plenty of razors that are not my own to work on.
    Hopeless: a dozen or so that are used for tests, experimentations, cannibalizing parts...

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

17 have earned a permanent spot in the den, a couple under consideration and I just listed 3 for trade or sale.

I wanted to post after @HolyRollah and @mrchick :smiley respect:

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I probably should someday

Bjoerge Brathagen and Karl G like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am eagerly awaiting the possibilities...

Bjoerge Brathagen, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I also have three.

Aust 5/8
    WD 5/8
    Frederick Reynolds 5/8

Currently doing the daily shavette routine.

14. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

My numbers are fairly high, so I am admitting to no numbers. My sort goes a little differently.
    The first grouping is long term residence, it has three sub groups
    Daily users
    Rare
    NOS
    The other group is the transient razors. At any given time there could quite a few in this group, all in various states or repair. Many linger for long periods in the needs to be honed pile. Sometimes by the time they show up and then get processed through cleaning/repair and honing they can move into either of the two main groups. I have had some come and go that were fairly pricey razors that were not completely rare but did not cut it as daily users, because let's face it we all like them built a little differently and they are not all suited for each of us. I am not wild about razors that make too much noise while shaving. They all make some amount of noise but I'm not happy with too much noise. Every now and then one comes along that I think is a transient but it performs really well and winds up in the daily driver group. You just never know until you try it. There have been a lot come and go over the years.

15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I've so far been successful in limiting my straight collection to what my case will hold - 24 straights. As new ones comes in, old ones have to go. This has forced some ranking although I haven't formalized that. I currently have one that I know will go if I get tempted to add another and two whose status is in doubt as the first shave was not impressive but they deserve a few more at bats. :happy088:

All three of those razors are good razors that get good reviews elsewhere but just don't compare as favorably to others I have. Classic case of YMMV.

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have not counted. I've got a couple dozen. Most are ready to strop and go.
    I've got one that has got to go to Kevin. It has broken scales. I have a replica knife, that i can't get shave ready.
    I've got enough that srad is in remission. Those Korat pics and results may cause an outbreak.

17. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

If I start dragging razors out to count, I'll probably get an eye roll and a dirty look from the wife. :rolleyes005:

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Lock yourself in the bedroom like I do. If the wife asks what you are doing. Tell here you are clipping your toenails. It works for me. All you will get is. "You better not get them on the floor or my side of the bed."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I already lock myself in the bathroom to shave. A 2 and 6 year old running around can lead to knicks!

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

First String - 0

Second String - 0

Third String - Six formally functional razors that need honing, three others out of scales but cosmetically cleaned up. They range from a Gold Dollar, couple of 5/8 WD Sight Unseens, A Torrey shortie, A Morley, a pre Keen Kutter Simmons, and a pre 1890 W&B 6/8+ wedge.

Fourth String - a Clauss with deep pitting that was hidden by the patina. I'll loose 3/4" off the toe but can shorten it for a save.

For a while I kept up with my edges on a Drygulch #43 strop and occasionally using a Cattaraugus Barber's Hone. Afraid I need professional help now. I've devolved to a Weck shavette, Schick injectors, and Gillette DE's.