Most disturbingly cruddy MicroMatic.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 15, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That razor will outshave any new razor made. YMMV of course.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hey, I DID warn everyone with the thread title.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Zykris and twhite like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would agree. No need to be scared of the push button. Very solid razor.

Zykris likes this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I know. I 've read all about zamak and the fact that today they don't use brass and such. Still, i prefer to buy a new one than touch that. :D

5. Bookworm

As I posted in a flea market find thread, there are MUCH cleaner examples out there. This one looks like it was stored at the bottom of a soap dish... for 40 years.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I actually shave with a brass autostrop that was found under a house. They do clean up.

wristwatchb, Zykris, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The MMOC is an excellent shaver. Yours looks like it will perform well.

8. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Here is a cruddy one I received
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Bookworm like this.
  9. Bookworm

Two questions.

1) Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner.
    2) need me to send you some SC-1000?

I think yours came out of the same 40 year old soap dish that mine did.

twhite likes this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

11. Bookworm

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It would appear someone took this still from Theatre of Blood and did a little Photoshop work.
    IMG_1647.JPG

Bookworm likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Let's see it after a cleaning!!

Zykris likes this.
  14. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

Where did you get the blades and how much were they? I bought a 100 pack of Gem 2 facets for under $6, they work ok
    but I think the 3 facets would be better. Thanks.

15. Bookworm

The three facet blades are apparently medical prep blades, for cutting samples for slides. I don't believe that the facets have anything to do with the sharpness of the blades - it's how polished they get in the process of sharpening. It's the last bevel cut (at the tip) that matters, after all.

16. Bookworm

I did a search on personna gem 62-0178 and came up with a lot of links.

http://www.americancleanstat.com/straight-edge-razor-blades.html - anyone want to pay $808.54 for 5,000 of them?
    There are a bunch of different ones here - http://www.razorbladeco.com/single-edge-blades but you'd have to research them to determine which are the ones you want. Another site says that the three facet are under 'gem', and two facet under 'Personna'.

Here are some more. Not cheap - https://us.vwr.com/store/product/13668710/single-edge-razor-blades-accutec-blades

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Those 100 blade cartons of Gem PTFE are available from Connaught Shaving in the UK at a very reasonable price - best price and shipping I could find anywhere when I went shopping for Gem SE blades several months ago.

18. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

Wow I follow the link over from the Harbor Freight Ultra Sonic Review.
    That was scary when I first saw the pictures.
    Nice to see what can be done.
    I am going to look at some eBay ones I passed up because they looked so bad.
    I am not looking for pretty just usable.

19. Bookworm

The key to getting ones that can be cleaned is to make sure they're intact. Some of the ones that look cruddy, but cleanable, I won't buy because they're missing teeth. Plating? eh. If I wanted to, I could create a nickel plating kit in my back yard for next to nothing. Disposing of the toxic waste after is the problem.

captnronfl likes this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Sorry dude I just saw that you quoted me and I noticed by accident. Considering the price you paid you probably got Personna or another sub brand that are meant only for " paint scraping and of similar stuff ". To be honest you are missing on the best Gem blade out there and you bought the worse ones that they tug like crazy. I got mine from Connaught that's based in UK and has the best prices for Personna Gem PTFE blades, I ordered 400 Personna Gem PTFE and 300 Persona Injector PTFE, total was around $110 for all 700 blades and shipping was free, If I divide the total turned up around $16 per 100 blades. These blades whether the GEM or Injector PTFE are super sharp, super smooth and last quite a lot of shaves. If you try to order pack of 100 Personna PTFE blades from USA by the time you pay shipping it will cost you $30 for 100 pack.

Currently cheapest is Connaught due to the economy thing going on in GB, if u order from there and pay shipping it will still be cheaper than ordering from US.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017