Merkur Futur Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 6, 2017.

1. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

ordered a qshave a few days ago too to try. Right now im using my gillette slim and red tip mostly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Maintenance is better than repairs. Good to know these are User Serviceable. I've partially disassembled an early Gillette #195 and freed a stuck adjuster. Keeping a new razor in working order should be within my skill set.

Nem22 likes this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I :love055: my Futur

4. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I used a Voskhod blade today. I was anticipating this one and went in with the expectation that this would likely be 'the' best blade to use with this razor based on everything I read and videos I've seen. But.....no. Weird that the Derby blade was more comfortable during the shave itself. With the Derby there was zero-resistance and zero irritation whatsoever. The Voskhod had an every so 'slight' resistance/drag on the shave (I stress that it was very minor, but I could definitely feel that difference).

The Derby seemed to only get better with subsequent shaves on higher and higher settings with the adjustable Futur. The more aggressive I made the shave, the better the Derby did. It only got smoother and cut better and I had zero irritation each time. The Voskhod just seemed like it was giving some trouble and I was worried I would get skin irritation but fortunately I had no irritation this morning. I have to think more aggressive settings with the Voskhod would be a bad idea.

I will continue trying each blade I own in the Futur. The Derby is going to be pretty tough to beat I think. The Voskhod blade is still under evaluation however. I will re-adjust settings as I shave each time with it and find out if a different setting improves the experience.

Nem22, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Even more aggressive would be an extreme understatement. A Futur on 1 would be way more aggressive than what you're used to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

On the Futur the lower setting "1" is the least aggressive and covers blade exposure the most. Setting of 6 exposes the blade ridiculously leaving you at the mercy of your technique. The Futur razor is known to be 'aggressive' even at the lowest setting however, but it worked great with the Derby on a setting as high as 5.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've been waffling on it because I want to get a disposable Visa/Mastercard to use there.

ninjack, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

ninjack, Michael Carpino, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

If I install their app, I can get $2 off orders over $5. That knocks it down to $3.95 / free shipping. If I wait another week they are going to be paying me to try this thing.

Michael Carpino and jmudrick like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's a good idea.
    keep calm it's a trap.jpg

11. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

i picked up a clone. Ide say on setting 3 its about equal to my red tip or a 6-7 on my Gillette slim.

I get decent shaves with it, but my biggest.gripe is the slippery handle. My hand always gets soap on it so its a little annoying.

And no, i can have the slickest hand possible and my gillettes dont budge.

That being said, its gonna be my new travel razor, thing is a tank and shaves well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

ninjack, Tiredricefarmer and jmudrick like this.
  13. WOW!! I just bought 2 and will give them away as gifts.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Around ten Malaysia, Singapore, Philipines, and Thailand vendors all under $3 delivered.

ninjack likes this.
  15. Bookworm

I ordered 3 from a phillipines seller. i've had decent luck with those. My last two china orders never showed up.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

QShave to US at least offers expedited shipping with tracking. Seven days from order to shave.

17. Bookworm

Not in a hurry, and I don't have a pre-paid credit card to use for aliexpress yet. I won't use one of my 'live' cards.

jmudrick likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right. And with eBay's PayPal you may not ever get your razor but you'll get your $3 back if it doesn't materialize.

19. Bookworm

Well, $10 :p I ordered three. Plus a Baili TTO (same as the RazoRock) to gift away.