Safety razor for a beginner

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idtsd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. idtsd

idtsd New Member

Hey,

I'd like to move away from Gillete Fusion which I used for the last 20 years. The main issue I try to solve is irritation in my neck area after shaving. I've read a lot and got scared of nicks and cuts.

Can anyone recommend a razor as well as blades that are suitable for a beginner?

AGHisBBS, Stu929, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

There is no magic combo. You really need to try several(razors and blades) to find the combination that works best for your face and technique. Experimentation is the only way to know what will really work for you. Do a search and start with a known mild razor like a Gillette Tech and get a large blade sample pack. After that practice & patience will get you the results you desire. :happy088:

Herm2502, John Beeman, twhite and 4 others like this.
  3. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I would say the main razors to start out with are either a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 for current production razors and a Gillette Tech or Gillette Super Speed for vintage razors. I like the styling of vintage razors, but modern razors shave better for me. There are a lot of people who will say otherwise, so that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. As far as blades go, you need to get a sample pack so you can try a few different blades.

Col C, 178-bplatoon, Herm2502 and 8 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

Next, re-read ugadawg's post below. Good stuff!

Carts used to always cause irritation on my neck. I could never go against the grain (ATG) to get that baby butt smooth (BBS) I wanted.
    Switching to the Merkur 34C, my first DE, eliminated the irritation and has allowed my to go ATG. Lovin' it!!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. The Merkur 34C is an excellent razor that is great for new and experienced shavers. However, like previously mentioned, there's no magic. It's technique and preparation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I am a big believer in the Gillette tech. It is cheap (5-20 dollars), easy to clean, easy to find, it has many different style options, it will last a lifetime, and it gives great shaves. There is a reason they were produced for almost 40 years and had 1000's of other razors based of their design.

With good technique, I can get as good of a shave with a tech as I can with a $300 razor.

I recommend using a feather blade or a Gillette silver blue blade in your Gillette tech.

Here are some of the options:

IMG_20170419_074145.jpg

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den! Pick up a vintage Gillette Super Speed or Tech for under $20 and get your feet wet.

David W650 and Bobcat like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

9. RetLEO-07

Welcome from Central NJ @idtsd!
    You've come to a great forum.
    So far some good knowledge has been put forth.
    My first razor was a VDH. But I would skip that step looking back and go to a DE89BL. There are several styles so pick the one that fits you. Get a blade sampler and maybe a cream sampler. There are many inexpensive brushes out there. Use the Search function and you'll more than likely come up with some good ideas. Then head over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread and join in the fun.
    Good luck and enjoy your shaves!

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: Welcome to The Shave Den! You've received some terrific advice so far!

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome to The Den. I can't add anything to the great advice already given. Have fun!

12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Coming from a complete noob (I just joined and picked up a few new razors over the last week and a half) I will tell you what I picked up and has worked for me so far. May not work for everyone but a Gillette Super Speed Flare combined with a Gillette Platnium blade has been great so far. No noticable irritation and no nicks thus far. While I dont know what the limits are the shave has seemed quite smooth as well.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    brit likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcom @idtsd! I'll add something - Get your name on the list for the Newbie Giveaway. Be sure to read the rules to qualify. There's a nice Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed up for grabs donated by a generous member, & gift certificates from supporting vendors to go soap shopping.

mrchick, RetLEO-07 and twhite like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:signs011: +1

15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome.left carts behind around 8 months ago.got into techs and rockets(british superspeeds),good blades and software.love it.focus on technique,some good soap/cream,good prep,blade sampler pack.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you want a SuperSpeed, but don't want vintage to start, you can pick up a Weishi 9306 series for $10 or less. They're almost exactly the same as a Black Handled SuperSpeed.

ninjack, Eeyore and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. You already have good advise above. Enjoy the shaves.

18. RetLEO-07

What's happin' Fuzzy?

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good advice. Glad you have joined us. I hope you hang around and participate.
    zwelcome1.jpg

20. idtsd

idtsd New Member

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice!

I understand that I'd have to get rid of the canned gel/foam I've been using. Do I really have to use a brush (looks very messy, time consuming)? what other options do I have to ease the move into DE shaving?

Straight razor dandy likes this.