Oiling TTOs?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Fu, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I wonder if someone could help me on this:

1) Where exactly must one put the oil?
    2) What kind of oil? (i have sewing machine oil, which is for high velocity moving parts. Will that do?)
    3) How often?

Thanks.

crackstar and RyX like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

mineral oil with an eye dropper i think.something food safe as not to irritate skin.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mineral oil, also sold as a scented product called Baby Oil is skin safe. Couple drops down the top of the handle, flip it over and a drop down the bottom spinning knob part & where the knob meets the handle. Flip it back over and a smear where the butterfly doors rotate on their pins. Operate it open and closed to distribute. Wipe it down.

Herm2502, BamaT, RetLEO-07 and 7 others like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011: This is exactly what I do, too.

BamaT, crackstar, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Thank you all!

"Baby Oil" is a bit vague here, but google can make miracles. Sooner or later, i will find the equivalent. Very interesting, i thought i needed to drop the oil inside the central mechanism, where there is a rod. So instead i need to oil the knob at the bottom the doors.

Any idea on how often one must do that?

Ha! Seems i am ready!

I already have Singer sewing machine oil. I use it in lubricating the bearings in computer fans. So it should be the same stuff. No wonder...It's perfectl for low attrition movement.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Bama Samurai, crackstar and RyX like this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Not quite the same stuff (sewing machine oil vs mineral oil), but close enough for the purpose. I use a sewing machine oil sized bottle of a light oil. With the doors fully open, I put a half a drop on each side of the center post. If you want to be fancy, get clock oilers. I don't bother oiling the doors - they're an open fit, rather than a tight fit requiring lubrication. On a freshly scrubbed razor from an ultrasonic bath, I'll put a drop at the knob, then another drop inside the knob.

7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ok, i will look for other mineral oil. When you say "on each side of the center post", you mean it goes inside the vertical shaft where there is the center rod?

Primotenore and crackstar like this.
  8. Bookworm

Yes - that will trickle down the rod.

No, if the oil you have works for bearings, it'll work fine. I'm just saying it's not the same thing. The 'mineral oil' is simply an ultra pure refined oil that's considered 'food grade'. If you add fragrance, it's called 'baby oil'. Sewing machine oil isn't intended for eating. Unless you plan to lick your razor repeatedly, the tiny amount of oil you put on the razor won't affect you.

ninjack, RyX, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  9. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ah, i see! You bet that Singer sewing machine oil works for fan bearings! It works for anything having high speed moving parts that require minimum attrition, because it's a very thin oil. Works for oiling beard/hair trimmers too.

RyX and crackstar like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

the oil will trickle down the vertical shaft and lubricate the knob..

11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

So, i suppose, after i do a "razor bath" with dishwashing liquid and after with baking soda, where i leave it soak for hours, it is preferable if i oil it. So i should oil it already, since i have already given it a "double soaking bath".

I would have never imagined, if it wasn't for that review. Thanks! So i will put oil both externally on the knob and internally through the shaft. :happy088: This explains why i read some really angry Amazon reviews, saying "junk, the mechanism won't work and the door won't open anymore. I can't load a blade, it's dead".

crackstar likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here

crackstar and Shave Fu like this.
  13. swarden43

Don't forget pivot points.

crackstar and Shave Fu like this.
  14. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I don't know which these are supposed to be, but anything that moves that has something resembling a "joint", i am going to oil it.

RyX, brit and crackstar like this.
  15. Bookworm

In 30 years, I've never oiled anything to do with the doors on my 80's SuperSpeed, and they've never had a problem. It's because the holes are large, and the tolerances are as well - so they stay clean. The shaft and knob, on the other hand, is confined, and needs to be protected :) If I was going to clean one up thoroughly, and then store it, I'd be putting a lot more oil down the shaft.

Shave Fu, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  16. swarden43

You got it! "pivot points", "joints", same thing.

RyX, Shave Fu and crackstar like this.
  17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

+1 (with all of my razors; including 3-piece)

RyX, brit, Shave Fu and 1 other person like this.
  18. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Good...

crackstar likes this.
  19. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I suppose in the part where the threads are that are used to lock into the head, right? Good, this explains why i read about so many dead EJ DE89 from "threaded head shearing".

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oiling the knob where the friction holds door closed ought to extend service life. If it's an adjustable a top end lube at the ring & down the center may keep the adjuster from getting sticky.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

BamaT, Shave Fu and brit like this.