Safety razor for a beginner

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idtsd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lots of guys like the canned stuff. Using a brush is not that time consuming or messy though once you get the hang of it. When you do get it you will never want to see a can of goop again.....probably.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

No, Sir. If you like your lather from a can no one around here will tell you to quit. There's a thread around here somewhere of folks who call themselves The Barbasol Brotherhood. I have a can of Arctic Chill that happens occasionally.
    You can ease into a traditional wet shave a step at a time. Lots of variation, too. That may be what draws you into this thing that becomes an Acquisition Disorder (AD). Very few products available on store shelves but if you look there are inexpensive brushes in Boar, Badger, Horse, and Synthetic bristles. Soaps & Creams are becoming available, and you already own a coffee mug or a bowl. Don't even need a container to make lather. It can be whipped either directly on you face, or in your hand.
    Here's a suggestion - visit The 30 Day Rule/Focus group. It's a bunch of folks working on getting the best shaves from their gear. It's an on going conversation where we try new things, offer advice, and have a good time. No pressure, join any time, wander off if it doesn't suit you. (Click the link in my signature below);)

Bama Samurai, RetLEO-07 and Screwtape like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I thought we were hunting people down who wandered off......

RyX and Screwtape like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Yes, but we give them a sporting chance first. We only send for Mad Dog the Rabid Bounty Hunter and his Werewolf Posse if they don't return voluntarily...

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well now...... That's nice of us then.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Aww, Y'all gonna scare him off before I bag my limit get him to visit.

wchnu likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

8. RetLEO-07

Definitely give the 30 Day Crew a look. Not only advice, but pictures of some great looking gear!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Btw, @idtsd, if you want to try a Gillette Tech and have trouble finding one, I have a spare. I think it is a late model ballend Tech - bright brass with the Gillette logo frosted on the cap.

PM me your address and I'll PIF it to you along with a few spare tucks of blades. You just have to promise to come over to the 30 Day Crew and give it a try there. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    twhite likes this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Honestly, I think k your best move would be to head over to Stirlingsoap.com and purchase the starter shaving kit. It has soaps, Aftershaves, a brush, a razor, and everything you need for cheap..
    And it is ALL high quality

Screwtape and RetLEO-07 like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

That'll git 'er done!!

12. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

You don't have to get rid of the canned gel/foam. I would actually suggest keeping it until you get your
    You don't have to get rid of the canned gel/foam. I would actually suggest keeping it until you get your technique down with the razor before switching so you're only changing 1 variable at a time. I use the canned stuff once or twice a week if I don't have time to build a lather. I apply it with a synthetic brush though. I just wet the tips and apply the gel right to the brush.

Bookworm, Screwtape and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I'm new to this forum, welcome aboard. My 2 cents worth, slow down, take your time, it took me a while to figure our 'riding the cap', but, for me the first amateur shave with a DE razor was miles ahead of what I was getting with cartridges. It may take you 20-30 minutes for a 3-pass shave, including using a brush to lather your face. That was the step that I rushed through with a cartride razor. Don't rush it until you learn the correct technique. Hope your shaves are close!

ninjack likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you like vintage and want a mild razor, look for the Gillette Star series. It was marketed for women, but A)razors don't have a sex and B)Plenty of men use it too. My husband loves it.

As for the can vs. brush debate, it the canned stuff works for you, maybe you don't want to change it while you are learning. But sometime, I do recommend that you try soap & a brush. It's not as messy or time-consuming as you think and it is a delightful feeling on your skin.

ninjack likes this.
  15. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

That's a Rimei - they're good starter razors, yes.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  17. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Weishi FTW! The blade exposure, as i read, is exactly the one of the Gilette Tech.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Keep it simple and pick up a Super Speed or a Tech.

19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id recommend a Merkur 34C or 23C. If youre new and used to a longer handle, you may like the long handle of the 23C. Thats actually the razor that I started out with and its a great shaver.

20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Once you get used to it, its actually not messy of time consuming at all. You can still use your canned goo if you want but its actually got a lot of chemicals in it that actually arent good for your skin or for the environment.
    I can mix up lather and lather my face with a brush in about 45 seconds.