In praise of the Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by '65 G-Slim, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Then I guess a Variant it is :D

brit and crackstar like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im sure I will end up with a new one eventually but given how easy these are to clean and how well made they are I dont see the point right now. Especially considering some of the deals that can be found.

The fact that it happens to be from when America was a manufacturing powerhouse doesn't hurt either. I feel the same way about guns!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

crackstar likes this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Prettier?
    [​IMG]
    I like shiny adjustables, too.

preidy, Fluffyskiador, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Shiny's fine, but that toggle at the end just screams 'I wasn't a good design decision' to me.

adjustables.jpg

preidy, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

I find that toggle end kinda cool, but I just got through with a session with it. It's the chunky body I find awkward. I reckon my grandson will be getting it pretty soon. I might swap my '60 Fatboy & '63 Slim for the '59 Fatboy & '65 Slim (my namesake) I first gave him.

ninjack, RaZorBurn123 and brit like this.
  6. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I don't particularly like gold-looking razors, but it's certainly prettier than a black handle.

Yeah, i don't understand why that pointy tip. I like normal tip better, i rest my pinky on it. Why would i want my pinky on a pointy tip?

7. Bookworm

The major problem is that the pointy tip is the 'toggle'. If you push it, it pops the razor open. If you push it while shaving, the BEST you can hope for is to be smacked in the face by the doors. I have enough issues with loosening the knob at the base of my Super Speed if I'm flipping it without my pinky out of the way.

Shave Fu likes this.
  8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

What! That thing is what opens the doors? Were they crazy when they designed it? I wouldn't touch that thing. Weishi FTW!

9. Bookworm

That's why it stopped being made - they never did work out all the bugs in the design. The Adjustable, Slim Adjustable, and Super Adjustable didn't have those issues. They cost so much because they're rare - there's a guy on B&B whose father beat one to death with a hammer in front of him to keep him from trying to use it.

Don't discount getting a Slim Adjustable because the Toggle is a red-headed step child.

Enrico and Shave Fu like this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

I dare say my grandson will be more pleased at the resale value of his toggle, some years down the road, than he would with a weishi...

11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I am sure he will, but the Weishi costs 17 euros and the doors are perfectly safe. I ordered a second one and i have no intention to sell them. Worst case scenario, one can be a perfect travel razor. It's drop resistant and very mild. With a Derby i could easily shave on a moving train without nicks. I can't ask more for the money.

Enrico likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

my 2 favourite superspeeds ,m4 1967 black handle birthyear and quarter,and mr 65 british flare tip rocket.i am waiting on a b1 1956 superspeed just purchased,pictured earlier in this thread. sup.jpg .i sold 2 1957 superspeeds to my buddy (was his birthyear/quarter ).

preidy, RaZorBurn123 and Shave Fu like this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

The doors on my toggle are "perfectly safe". Why wouldn't they be? The chance of a stray "pinky" flipping the toggle is less than winning the lotto. And a toggle can't shave on a "moving train"? Seriously? And what constitutes a "travel razor"? I used my wood cased GEM 1912 on my 3,300 mile trip through the desert SW last fall. The only reason I wouldn't take the toggle is if the GEM came up missing, it would be easier to replce if housekeeping got sticky fingers.

14. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

You misunderstood me. About the door safety on your razor, i don't know how safe it is. For the rest, i was just defending the Weishi. I didn't say that yours can't do the same. I just said the usefulness of a cheap Weishi. And even if you lose it in your travel, 17 euros, and you buy a new identical...

15. '65 G-Slim

I got curious & tried to flip the toggle with my pinky, in shaving position.

Impossible.

16. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ok. Even better.

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0306.JPG
    So I'm two days into using my '52 Super Speed Black Tip. I love this razor. With the GSB loaded, I'm getting great shaves. These weekday shaves are what make or break a razor for me. So far it looks like I've found the fourth razor for my rotation(at least until I find a Red Tip :)).

preidy, AGHisBBS and Shave Fu like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

1956 b-1 superspeed. 56.jpg

preidy, AGHisBBS and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Collectors collect but some minds sure boggle
    at the prospect of the pain of finding a Toggle.
    The head of a Fatboy with a nice grippy grip
    but Flips To Open like some electrical switch?

The design sure is unique--some would say odd
    and to get one you need to lay down a wad.
    But
    real cash if a Red Dot you just gotta got 'em
    or one of those rare ones with the dial on the bottom.

For me, for myself, I have no such need,
    I'm content to get by with an old Super Speed.
    But innovation and engineering I always admire
    so of looking at strange Gillettes, I never will tire.

20. Bookworm

I have Super Speeds going from the Milord, Senator, and Aristocrat, to the 40's SS, Black tip (two), 50's SS Flare, to _one_ Black handle SS, plus five slims and a fat boy. I think I have too many slims :)

gorgo2 likes this.