A Modern Gem Style Blade SE Razor? Yes, Thank You Blackland Sabre...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I looked at the video from Shave Busta again, and honestly I can't say if it is or isn't. Stan from ATT goes into a brief explanation on some of it's features on how it's removed and such. He does mention that the pin can be removed for cleaning, but no mention if the pin is removed would that release the bottom plate from the handle. It might ,or it might not. But your right about the pin, keep a towel handy just in case.....

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

As I was playing with it at the show, the pin easily comes off. The way it works is, the pins clasps the head down as you screw the handle on. Technically you only need to loosen the handle some to get the cap off, but it doesn't take much more screwing to take the the pin off. I can easily picture the pin dropping and being lost.

Str8on2 likes this.
  3. Str8on2

There you have it, 4 piece it is. I wonder if they will sell extra pins? You know, just in case.....:happy088:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering if they would possible do some kind of retention clip so the pin couldn't come out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8on2 likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

BigMark83 likes this.
  6. Str8on2

They probably could, but perhaps at making it a little more complicated and bigger expense. But its not a bad idea to be honest. Or perhaps a push button like recess pin, where it is permanently mounted or pinned to the handle. That way you still keep the pin with the hook locking mechanism. But instead of removing the pin, you just push down on it to release the base plate yet it stays integral with the handle. Uugh, that sounds like more work than is needed.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Or, just sell an extra pin with each razor, and offer a pin packet for a reasonable amount after the sale. ($5 for four or something)

Str8on2 and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

$200? :happy097::happy097::happy097::happy097:

9. Jorvaljr

It's why I don't buy modern stainless steel razors. :sad027:

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have to admit the PAA looks like very well thought out, the Blackland looks good too but just on paper so far. I know people are happy with ATT razors but something about his design does not agree with me already complicated mind.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Agree. The stability of the GEM blade screams for simple, lean solutions. Complexity and mass may meet marketing and financial objectives but I'm very suspicious of performance gains.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Screwtape and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

This whole modern razor design confuses me, both here and with DE razors.

The designs I'm seeing in this thread all look to be milled out of huge hunks of metal and give the initial impression that I'll be shaving with Thor's hammer. By comparison, a classic Gem razor is a fairly minimalist design made out of stamped metal.

Am I missing some advantage of the modern design?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

1. If you keep it in your car, not only can you do a touchup shave before that important meeting but it doubles as a window breaker if you ever get trapped in the vehicle.

2. You no longer need to buy that little jeweler's hammer.

I'm sure there are others as well.

mrchick, Jorvaljr and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of asking for one of these razors and a poster of Rita Hayworth should I ever get sent to prison.

Screwtape, mrchick and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. Jorvaljr

It's merely the fact that it's modern and stainless steel.

16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

This is not good news for us NB17 folks. Nope, not at all. These offerings look great. Waiting for shave reports and will try to be strong and resist purchasing any.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

But he'll buy toggles all day long .... :angelic007:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. Jorvaljr

lol damn right! ALL DAY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yes - you don't have to own a stamping machine and custom dies.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Again. A great time to be into traditional wet shaving, fantastic new products coming out weekly. Let's hope they stay competitive.

Jorvaljr likes this.